I am really trying to like the Curve 8310, which my company recently gave me . Though I must admit that i am returning back to my old WM phone (Tytn II/Tilt) I have not yet given up hope to use the Curve in the future.

My major complaints about the Curve are the following:
    - Web browsing is extremely difficult (slow, hard to navigate, difficult to read)
    - Email functions (very disappointed with the way BB chose to manage email threads)
    - Home screen not customizable (unless with purchase of 3rd party app, I guess)

On the bright side, I do like the great battery life and lightweight housing. Using the keyboard is also easy (though, i am not sure why there is no application to predict words?).

All in all, i want to start using the Curve for various reason. Therefore, I am hoping that someone can give me some hints on how to get over above mentioned pain points...

Thanks!

PS: By the way, this is a great forum!
    12-17-08 05:50 PM
    I came from a Motorola Q. I just got my Curve a few weeks ago and I've been loving it.

However, the 3 biggest downfalls to me are also the same that you listed. Well, the first 2 specifically. WinMo just seems to handle web browsing and email a lot better. Other than that, I love the phone. The reliability alone has me never looking back to WinMo.
    12-17-08 05:55 PM
    The homescreen is customizable, you can arrange the icons, on the app screen, scroll to one, menu key, move, scroll into position on the first 5 spots, trackball to place it.
    12-17-08 05:58 PM
    1. Be sure you have the browser configuration set properly. Open the browser, menu > options > browser config > check all boxes and set emulation to blackberry.
    2. I assume it is a BES? Or is it a web based email account?
    3. There are tons of free themes right here on Crackberry.com in the Themes and Wallpaper forum or try websites like Themes4bb.com and pimpmyberry.com
    12-17-08 05:59 PM
    With your browsing, speed will always be an issue as the curve isn't on the 3G network. However, if you are wanting a better browser, you should install the latest firmware on your phone, instructions on how to do so are in a sticky. Or try installing Opera mini.

Not exactly sure what you mean by manage your email threads. But If you mean the folder hierachy, it just takes a couple of clicks to get to, not too bad imo.

The home screen is fully customisable, you can move icons around, change your background and all. however you may have to use a zen theme in order to do so. to access different themes, go to "options", then scroll down to "theme".

But I do strongly recommend you to upgrade to the latest firmware, as it will include documents to go, which is a much needed app for the BB.
    12-17-08 06:04 PM
    The homescreen is customizable, you can arrange the icons, on the app screen, scroll to one, menu key, move, scroll into position on the first 5 spots, trackball to place it.

I should have been more precise. With customizable, I meant to add more useful information to the home screen as oppose to seeing/moving all these preset icons.

I am referring to something like a stock market watch, weather application and most importantly information regarding today's meetings and appointments.

Though i am sure and hope that all these are simply add on programs, which i haven't looked into yet.
    12-17-08 06:40 PM
    1. Be sure you have the browser configuration set properly. Open the browser, menu > options > browser config > check all boxes and set emulation to blackberry.
    2. I assume it is a BES? Or is it a web based email account?
    3. There are tons of free themes right here on Crackberry.com in the Themes and Wallpaper forum or try websites like Themes4bb.com and pimpmyberry.com
    Thanks for the tip! i will do this right away.
    12-17-08 06:41 PM
    I should have been more precise. With customizable, I meant to add more useful information to the home screen as oppose to seeing/moving all these preset icons.

I am referring to something like a stock market watch, weather application and most importantly information regarding today's meetings and appointments.

Though i am sure and hope that all these are simply add on programs, which i haven't looked into yet.
    Sounds like maybe a Today Plus theme might suit you, you can have your calender showing, as well as along the bottom dock, cuztomizable icons.

There are ALOT of weather applications, weatherbug direct, weathereye, accuweather push, all found via google.
    12-17-08 06:42 PM
    There are plenty of free weather apps. I like WeatherEye. You have to have the icon set for homescreen and it updates hourly or every 30 minutes. The icon will be a cloud/sun/rain/snow/moon etc. And when you scroll over it and it says the app name it will say current temp and weather status such as Partly Cloudy. I'm not sure about stockmarket tickers and such...just got to do some research.
    12-17-08 06:45 PM
    With your browsing, speed will always be an issue as the curve isn't on the 3G network. However, if you are wanting a better browser, you should install the latest firmware on your phone, instructions on how to do so are in a sticky. Or try installing Opera mini.
    I did upgrade to 4.5 already but i might give Opera a try.

Not exactly sure what you mean by manage your email threads. But If you mean the folder hierachy, it just takes a couple of clicks to get to, not too bad imo.
    I meant the way the entire email is displayed. I feel that the screen layout is not very nice and thus making it hard to read longer emails. But this might be something i will be getting used going forward.

But I do strongly recommend you to upgrade to the latest firmware, as it will include documents to go, which is a much needed app for the BB.
    What excatly is documents to go?
    12-17-08 06:45 PM
    Docs2Go is like your Word/Excel/PowerPoint stuff.

A trick when viewing emails and browser is to space bar for full page skips instead of rolling the trackball...also T for top and B for bottom.
    12-17-08 06:49 PM
    Docs2Go is like your Word/Excel/PowerPoint stuff.

A trick when viewing emails and browser is to space bar for full page skips instead of rolling the trackball...also T for top and B for bottom.
    Great, starting to learn something :-)

I will try this all out tonight when home since today i am using the Tilt.
    12-17-08 06:55 PM
    You may have to come out of your shell when it comes to being a Microsoft user. The email interface on WinMo if I remember correctly resembles that of MS Outlook. You may enjoy the GMail app if your looking for some structure but the Blackberry is in no way or shape a MS product (Thank god).

You probably think I am a fan of the Mac at this point. Well, I am not, I just like to have Microsoft be on my computer and BB software on my phone

I think as time passes, you'll learn to like the blackberry as a whole.
    12-17-08 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD