Hey-
    for some reason my trackball and keyboard backlight will not shut off - even when I turn my phone completely off. I have done a battery pull several times, and have checked the settings in Options>Screen Keyboard (backlight timeout set for 30 seconds, Automatically dim backlight is set to on). Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks for your help,
    Mike
    05-29-08 07:26 AM
    You didn't install an application that would override the screen & keyboard settings, did you?
    05-29-08 07:36 AM
    no, I haven't installed anything recently. It's really strange - and battery draining!
    05-29-08 07:37 AM
    ^^bumpers^^

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-08 11:30 AM
    I don't know the capabilities of doing so w/ the Curve as of yet, but have you tried doing a soft reset?
    05-29-08 11:45 AM
    Just pull the battery for 1 minute, and put it back in.
    05-29-08 12:10 PM
    The Curve has a low light sensor up with the LED at the top right side of the device. If this get covered up or, you live like a spelunker, then the backlight will stay on.

If you live like a normal person (out in daylight, what???) then covering the LED with your thimb should bring the backlight on.

If this does not happen then there is probably a fault with your phone.

One last thing to try is to do a Backup using Desktop Manager. No goto Options, Security Options, General Settngs and press Menu, select wWipe Handheld.

Once complete, connect to Desktop Manager and do a Restore.
    05-29-08 12:18 PM
    thank you for your help Pete6 - I may do the wipe if nothing else happens. I'm on hold with RIM now. One reason that I don't think it's the sensor is that my screen still dims/brightens based on the light in the room... it's just the trackball and keyboard lights that are not dimming or turning off.
    05-29-08 12:24 PM
    Whatever else you do, make sure that yo have a working Backup before you wipe your phone.
    05-29-08 12:35 PM
    well, thanks folks. A good backup is a friend indeed! The solution: get it swapped for a new blackberry for free!. I'm pretty psyched to have a new one, but it just sucks that I have to buy another invisible shield. oh well, could be worse. All my shiot is back on the new one and I'm up and running again.

Thanks again & woofchakka

Mike
    05-29-08 07:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD