I called Alltel and they said the ESN numbers were still attached to another person yada yada basically they haven't paid their bill or something. And had i known about the thing where you ask for the ESN before you buy i would have but now im stuck with 2 phones. What can I do to get them working?? Whether it be some thing where you get new ESN's?

email me at [email protected] if it can't be said on here. Haha.
    02-25-09 04:53 PM
    You should have checked the ESN with the carrier before you purchased. You can't get a new ESN. Unlike a SIM, it's hardcoded into the phone.

You'll have to get your money back, get them to pay up their bill, or pay their bill for them.
    02-25-09 05:06 PM
    Is there no way to de-program the phone?
    I know now i should have checked the ESN first.. haha I wish i would have known that before though.
    02-25-09 05:15 PM
    Trust but verify, wise words still.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 05:20 PM
    Oh no!! I hope you figure something out.....
    02-25-09 05:25 PM
    Call Judge Judy. She may be able to help you get your money back.

02-25-09 05:38 PM
    Judge Joe Brown.... For sure!
    02-25-09 08:14 PM
    I called Alltel and they said the ESN numbers were still attached to another person yada yada basically they haven't paid their bill or something. And had i known about the thing where you ask for the ESN before you buy i would have but now im stuck with 2 phones. What can I do to get them working?? Whether it be some thing where you get new ESN's?

email me at [email protected] if it can't be said on here. Haha.
    Actually, as others have said; there isnt anything you can do- short of taking it up with the person you bought it from. Also, if they didnt tell you beforehand that the ESN was bad, then you probably stand a snowballs chance in h377 of getting your money back.

Also, for future reference, now that you know to ask for the ESN, if the seller refuses to give it to you, there's a reason why.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I was partially scammed with an eBay seller. eBay and PayPal came through so I didnt suffer a lose.
    02-25-09 08:23 PM
    Search "Furious Gold" at berry review about ESN

Of course, it's more than a new phone.
    Last edited by r_f_o_t; 03-10-09 at 11:30 PM.
    02-25-09 09:46 PM
    I hate seeing threads like this. I hate that people get jipped like this. Like everyone said above, your best option is going back to the seller and seeing if you can resolve the issue with he/ or she. I highly doubt it though. But you may have a puncher's chance.

02-26-09 01:35 AM
    POE did you just suggest they go punch out the seller? ;o)

02-26-09 01:39 AM
    POE did you just suggest they go punch out the seller? ;o)

Lol naw not even close. Just an analogy

02-26-09 01:40 AM
    Is there no way to de-program the phone?
    I know now i should have checked the ESN first.. haha I wish i would have known that before though.
    Sorry, it can't be done. They are basically the serial number of the phone and can't be changed. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you.

There was just another thread recently about a deal on a BB on CL that turned out to be a scam.

~Jazzi~

02-26-09 02:01 AM
    Ouch! Lesson learned the hard way... sorry man no chance of activating that phone with it being attached to a bad debt account. Try to resist that urge you have to relist it on Craigslist and do the same to another innocent soul. LOL. I beleive what happened is that you either bought the phone from the account holder who knew the phone was "black listed", or from someone who aquired the phone from the account holder who may have also been scammed and turned around and listed the phone for sale on Craigslist to recoup his money. So does it end here as you being the final victim? Be careful if you decide to locate and confront the seller and you have every right to. I myself don't take getting screwed very lightly and that guy would definetely need some good dental insurance if you know what I mean. I've seen a LOT of scam artists on Craigslist.

Here's how to carry out your future transactions when you decide to try to buy a good cell phone/pda on Craigslist again. (which can be a good experience and a great bargain if you can negotiate well). First negotiate the price and agree to that set price over the phone. (not when you meet!) Ask for the esn# so you can call the carrier and have cust. support verify it's good to activate on your account. If the seller isn't comfortable giving out the esn then that's fine but have them meet you at the wireless carrier's retail location wherever you both agree in your area. It must be a real corporate owned wireless retail location and not a "Jack and Jill's "wireless kiosk or whatever. Once there, have customer service verify the esn is good to go while you are there to witness it is indeed clear. Only AFTER you know the phone's esn is clear should you proceed to pay for the device. If the seller refuses to do either one of these options or any of these methods then forget it and don't buy from them. Last but not least, if at all possible make sure you don't travel alone when meeting people you don't know and especially when they know you are very likely carrying a wad of cash. I wish I didn't have to say that but these days the world is full of evil people and you can't always trust everyone even as much as we'd like to be able to. Yes some places are safer than others but some of us live in not so good areas so just use common sense. Better luck next time! And remember to heed this free advice.
    Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 02-26-09 at 03:00 AM.
    02-26-09 02:51 AM
    Judge Joe Brown.... For sure!
    thats right! small claims court
    02-26-09 03:29 AM
    Get a GSM carrier...you wont have that problem again!
    02-26-09 10:15 AM
    You CAN resell the phone, and recoup some of your money, BUT you should be honest in your description and say that the phone has a bad ESN and can be used for parts only. There ARE folks who buy those, repair places and people looking for a cheap way to refurb their own phone. You probably won't get back what you paid, BUT you also won't be stuck with a phone you can't use.

EDIT: Another option is to keep it and just use the multimedia features, the media player and the camera.
    02-26-09 12:39 PM
    ugh. haha. well i have 2 perfectly good Blackberry's now, but neither of them can be activated unless I pay around 3 grand. haha.
    02-26-09 01:16 PM
    ugh. haha. well i have 2 perfectly good Blackberry's now, but neither of them can be activated unless I pay around 3 grand. haha.
    HOLY ^@$^%$&#^%&$^%@%$@#^&&^*(*%^^@$%@#$%%@^%&^#&^#
    02-27-09 12:41 PM
    I say if you can't do any thing with it ....
    Sell it for parts try and make something from it and count the rest as a loss

02-27-09 12:49 PM
    The seller is a serious bad debt, there is no way going to court will force him to refund your purchase or pay the outstanding, he'll simply ignore any judgement.

Unless you know anyone well connected with Sicilian ancestry who owes a favor... you've been scammed.
    02-27-09 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD