Hi - I have an 8330 with Verizon. I've had the unit, and this problem, for a year now. I went to Blackberry support, who had me send them logs, etc., (even swapped the handset) and eventually said "don't know, will be fixed in some future revision". It doesn't appear as a common problem on the forums so I figured it was something specific to my SW bundle.

BUT - A few weeks ago my wife also got an 8330, and even though she has a newer SW revision than me, she is having the same problem(!) (I'm running 4.5.0.77, she's running 4.5.0.138 - both VZW-approved revisions).

The problem is this: Sometimes (like, once every week or so), when the BB is turned on in the morning, it looks like you have complete connectivity, but Internet is down. (You find out when you try to browse, or you notice you're not getting any email). A battery pull fixes it. It's most likely to happen the day after the unit was connected to a PC.

The only theory seems the be this: Our network coverage at home is spotty (meter varies between 5 and 50%, sometimes by moving the device only a few feet). Somehow this causes the BB to get 'confused' at power up, causing the problem.

More info: Sometimes it comes up without any network service (no voice, no data, but in this case the strength icon displays accordingly, and the fix is to go into "manage connections" and re-enable), but sometimes it comes up as described above - I.e., it looks like you have service, but you need to test it to be sure. (anyone know of a helper app that tests it automatically?)

Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated. I barely sold my wife on the BB (thank god for Splashshopper 8-}), and now she's having 2nd thoughts.

Thanks!
    /j
    01-04-10 04:18 PM
    You're signal is weak and when your device turns on it acquires voice services but not data. You might leave the device on (I do) even while on the charger and see if it will acquire on its own. It probably acquires on its own with a better signal. There are signal boosters out there for home and office maybe verizon will toss one in for you...
    01-04-10 07:38 PM
    Yeah, I suppose if I left it on 24x7 that would work around the problem (as it's a only a problem at power up). Signal's not really weak enough to convince Verizon (and I hear they're not easy to convince?).

Are you validating the cause-effect based on some info?
    Thanks!
    /j
    01-05-10 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD