Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the screw shafts out???? I've ordered new screws, but have no idea how to get the screws out so I can put the new ones in.

I had changed my housing, and that went fine...but apparently I made the screws too tight, because when I went to UNscrew them to check on why my headset jack was no longer working, the screw heads broke off, leaving the rest of the screws in the phone.

Since I now have TWO problems (the screws stuck in there and the headset jack not working) should I just do an insurance claim on accidental damage, and has anyone made a claim with Assurion on something like this before???
    02-24-09 09:50 AM
    You might be able to use a dremal to get the screws out. There is als a screw driver that works without contact, very expensive though.
    02-24-09 09:54 AM
    You might be able to use a dremal to get the screws out. There is als a screw driver that works without contact, very expensive though.
    I'm SOOOOO not a handy person (isn't that obvious???)...can you explain that process???
    02-24-09 09:55 AM
    should I just do an insurance claim on accidental damage, and has anyone made a claim with Assurion on something like this before???
    If I were the insurance agent, I'd ask you how you managed to "accidently" break off screw heads. I doubt you'll get far making a claim like that. When you send the unit back, they MAY not notice but if they do I'll wager that they'll bill you for a new device.
    02-24-09 10:08 AM
    Use some piece of hard plastic and super glue. Put super glue on the plastic piece and put it on the screw. Let it dry and it should work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 10:11 AM
    If it's the two screws on the back and towards the top just take the phone apart and use small pliers to unscrew them. There should be plenty of the shaft still there in order to do so.
    02-24-09 10:14 AM
    If I were the insurance agent, I'd ask you how you managed to "accidently" break off screw heads. I doubt you'll get far making a claim like that. When you send the unit back, they MAY not notice but if they do I'll wager that they'll bill you for a new device.
    I wasn't talking about trying to fraud them...I was talking about being completely honest and telling them what happened. I didn't intentionally break the screws, so therefore it WAS accidental damage. I know that opening it up voids the warranty on the phone...insurance is different, and as such, I didn't know if they might still cover it.
    02-24-09 10:20 AM
    From my understanding, accidental damage is covered under normal use, dropped phone, broken keys, stepped on. It does NOT cover any type of damage covered by opening the phone or modifications, accidental or not.

02-24-09 10:32 AM
    From my understanding, accidental damage is covered under normal use, dropped phone, broken keys, stepped on. It does NOT cover any type of damage covered by opening the phone or modifications, accidental or not.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate the feedback because I'm trying to figure out which avenue to pursue.
    02-24-09 10:46 AM
    Did you see my post? I gave you an easy option that you could do yourself without having to deal with insurance.

02-24-09 10:51 AM
    Did you see my post? I gave you an easy option that you could do yourself without having to deal with insurance.

Yes, I did...thank you. Have you ever done this? I'm a little concerned about putting crazy glue down into the phone :-)
    02-24-09 11:07 AM
    Just put a small amount on the piece of plastic, enough to cover the area of the screw and you shouldn't get any glue running off.

And yes I have done this before. Actually twice.

02-24-09 11:14 AM
    Just put a small amount on the piece of plastic, enough to cover the area of the screw and you shouldn't get any glue running off.

And yes I have done this before. Actually twice.

What "plastic" did you use? As I said, I'm not a very handy person, and off the top of my head, I'm not able to think of something small enough.
    02-24-09 11:18 AM
    Just use something that is sturdy and small enough to get in there.

02-24-09 12:14 PM
    On the broken part of the screw still left in, is there any part sticking up enough that would allow you to use pliers to unscrew the rest of it?
    02-24-09 12:36 PM
    Well, I decided to go over to Verizon and see if someone there could fix my phone. They didn't have anyone, but a very helpful CSR told me about a place in town that might be able to help. I went there, and sure enough, he was able to get my screws out of the phone. He didn't have any that he could replace it with, but I've ordered them, so now I will have to baby my berry til they arrive. He even offered to put the new screws in when they get here...and all this was free of charge!!!!!
    02-25-09 12:54 AM
    It's good to know that someone close by can get it fixed up for you.
    02-25-09 12:56 AM
    Wow, Dawn you must be cute. Lol

I'm sure I wouldn't have got that great service free of charge, with an offer for more free service in the future. ;o)

Last edited by xliderider; 02-25-09 at 01:08 AM.
    02-25-09 01:05 AM
    Wow, Dawn you must be cute. Lol

I'm sure I wouldn't have got that great service free of charge, with an offer for more free service in the future. ;o)

LOL....NO, that wasn't it. It's actually funny. The girl who works the front counter had taken my phone in the back, and the man comes out and says "So you work at **** huh?" and I'm taken aback like how did he know that??? My screen lock screen has my work information and I had forgotten about it LOL

Anyway, turns out he knows alot of the people I work with because he used to work in my field, and he did it as a "professional courtesy" kind of thing I guess.
    02-25-09 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD