for some reason my BB device manager won't pop up if i click on it =/ i'm currently running windows vista (don't get me started on vista ) and i seem to have to completely restart my computer in order for the BB device manager to pop up.. does anyone else have this problem?
    10-20-07 07:00 PM
    I don't know about the others but I could never configure my BB to connect to my computer that's running on Vista. Always trying to ask for a driver even though it has already been downloaded.
    10-20-07 10:25 PM
    Vista has issues with The Desktop Manager a update from windows should be out in the future. One of the main problems is Microsoft Mail.
    10-21-07 03:23 AM
    ok, thanks for the help =) now if only i could get rid of this vista..
    10-21-07 04:17 AM
    I am contemplating switching to mac. oooopps did i say that loud?
    10-21-07 08:08 AM
    Vista has issues with The Desktop Manager a update from windows should be out in the future. One of the main problems is Microsoft Mail.
    I have successfully installed my BlackBerry DM and was able to configure my drivers correctly. As of this moment, installing the latest OS on my 8320.
    10-27-07 10:56 AM
    I have successfully installed my BlackBerry DM and was able to configure my drivers correctly. As of this moment, installing the latest OS on my 8320.
    How did you configure those drivers correctly under vista?

I installed the latest BlackBerry DM from the official site.

The Device Manager is indeed showing the BlackBerry but I can't do nothing with it.. Sync doesn't work, save and restore doesn't work.. the connection is displayed but doesn't work..

Additionally Roxio Media Manager doesn't work either.. any idea?
    11-17-07 10:45 AM

The Device Manager is indeed showing the BlackBerry but I can't do nothing with it.. Sync doesn't work, save and restore doesn't work.. the connection is displayed but doesn't work..

Nothing will work unless you installed your driver correctly.

First, you need to remove your driver set up and start over. So go to your Control Panel and select Device Manager. Under Port (I believe), remove those RIM driver configuration that was not successful.

Since you have already downloaded the driver, the problem really is for vista to find that driver. So if you have downloaded your software in your local drive then all you have to do is direct Vista to look at your Local Drive. If you have set it up on a shared network, if you have one, then direct that there. Whichever is applicable to you.

Connect your BlackBerry to your computer with your USB without running the DM. You need to set up the driver before you can use the DM. Vista will then look for the driver for the attached device. Just leave it be until it prompts you that it could not find the right driver and will ask you to select the other options available (I can't tell you the exact options from the top of my head). Once you have reached the point where you need to locate it yourself, just enter your Drive C: This will then search and find. Keep in mind that Vista will try to install this driver like 6 or 7 times and just keep on directing it to the same local drive and find the drivers. Have patience on this.. lol. It will really stretch your patience.

Once that is complete, you will be able to use all applicable features of your DM. Just complete the driver installation and you will be good.
    Last edited by chinesecatt; 11-17-07 at 11:13 AM.
    11-17-07 11:11 AM
    Thanks a lot chinesecatt, you solution is working great!
    11-17-07 12:15 PM
    Glad to be of help reteep. And welcome to the forum!
    11-17-07 12:40 PM
    im having a problem something like that i want to erase desktop manager from off of my pc but it will not erase i tried everything i mean everything so i have to use another pc in the house when i want to utilize desktop manager
    12-03-07 06:20 AM
    im having a problem something like that i want to erase desktop manager from off of my pc but it will not erase i tried everything i mean everything so i have to use another pc in the house when i want to utilize desktop manager
    Hi,

here's how I did it in the exact order, like chinesecatt explained it:

www.andreas-kraus.net/blog/blackberry-desktop-manager-and-vista

hth
    12-03-07 06:52 AM
    Other than being inexplicably, excruciatingly slow when un/reinstalling Desktop Manager, I've had no problems with our Curves on Vista. It took me almost 3 hours last night to upgrade to DM 4.3, backup and upgrade the OS on my wife's BB, and remove PTT from mine. Yeesh! At least it all worked. Apparently I'm lucky...
    12-03-07 09:09 AM
    dont want to hijack
    02-05-08 04:04 PM
    sorry but i can get the dm on my pc but when instaliing roxio itencounters a error of some sort and i cant figure it out i dont have any roxio or sonic proograms on my pc and never have its so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the main reason i want it is for music and movies so do i really need it or can i just get the sofware from here such as mobiola (movies) and flicker (mp3s)??
    02-05-08 04:08 PM
    clicking on my device manager also does nothing i checked and it says the 2 rim ports are working right.i am running vista and an 8700g with the new updates and platform.
    02-13-08 08:16 PM
    i redownloaded desktop manager and all seems to be ok.
    02-14-08 12:49 AM

Did you also download and install the newest Desktop Manager (which contains the sync/backup/media manager stuff). Desktop Manager and Device Manager are two separate things..

You can either go to the RIM download area and look for the files, or go to (www) abnol.org/gadgets/phones/download-blackberry-desktop-manager-software/3648 for BlackBerry Desktop Software 4.5 (with or without Media Manager) & BlackBerry Device Manager 4.5. This URL lists the files all in one place for convenience, but sends you to the RIM site for the actual download.
    Last edited by esterrett; 06-24-08 at 03:47 PM.
    06-24-08 03:43 PM
    Nothing will work unless you installed your driver correctly.

First, you need to remove your driver set up and start over. So go to your Control Panel and select Device Manager. Under Port (I believe), remove those RIM driver configuration that was not successful.

Since you have already downloaded the driver, the problem really is for vista to find that driver. So if you have downloaded your software in your local drive then all you have to do is direct Vista to look at your Local Drive. If you have set it up on a shared network, if you have one, then direct that there. Whichever is applicable to you.

Connect your BlackBerry to your computer with your USB without running the DM. You need to set up the driver before you can use the DM. Vista will then look for the driver for the attached device. Just leave it be until it prompts you that it could not find the right driver and will ask you to select the other options available (I can't tell you the exact options from the top of my head). Once you have reached the point where you need to locate it yourself, just enter your Drive C: This will then search and find. Keep in mind that Vista will try to install this driver like 6 or 7 times and just keep on directing it to the same local drive and find the drivers. Have patience on this.. lol. It will really stretch your patience.

Once that is complete, you will be able to use all applicable features of your DM. Just complete the driver installation and you will be good.
    I followed these instructions but it changed nothing. Vista didn't ask me about drivers or anything.

I am soooooooo very frustrated with this whole thing. Can't people just MAKE SOMETHING THAT WORKS???/

besiderself
    06-24-08 04:22 PM
    I have Windows 7 - got rid of Vista. The windows device manager does not detect my Storm 2 9550, and the BB device manager will not open. It worked last week, I transferred a file from my PC to my phone. Can anyone help?
    04-17-10 10:15 AM
    I had an issue with my Device Manager. I just could not connect to my BB when using Desktop Manager. I opened control panel --> device manager and I could see there was an issue with the USB driver. I updated it by pointing to the RIM folder for USB driver in C/program files/common files/research in motion and that fixed it
    10-28-10 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD