my phone a blackberry curve 8310 just got some water in it. i was trying to wash up my baby and the my phone started ringing and i grabbed it, but it slipped from my hand and went into the the little bowl of water!! it didnt go all the way in bc the little towel was in the way, but i know some water got into it (the face part, not the back with the battery). will my blackberry work after this?? i know if i take it apart, it probably would, but i dont how!!
    Last edited by angela.rodriguez; 05-19-08 at 08:13 AM.
    05-19-08 08:07 AM
    Dry it off, remove the battery and carefully wipe it dry. Shake it with the battery cover off to remove any water you can. Leave the battery out and leave the phone in a warm dry place until tomorrow.

You might be lucky.

Have you got insurance? Is the phone under warranty?
    05-19-08 08:21 AM
    Dry it off, remove the battery and carefully wipe it dry. Shake it with the battery cover off to remove any water you can. Leave the battery out and leave the phone in a warm dry place until tomorrow.

You might be lucky.

Have you got insurance? Is the phone under warranty?
    att doesnt insure the blackberry. i still got the warranty with rim. i've only had it since the end of jan. i just turned it on and it turns on but none of the buttons work yet, only the trackball to highlight things. does it matter if i lay it down on its face or with the battery compartment down?
    05-19-08 08:32 AM
    Leave it sit with battery door up, w/battery, SIM card, and Memory card out. The fact that it turned on is a good sign, but really let it sit until tomorrow as Pete mentioned. Also try on top of a piece of electronics (dvd player - something that gets warm).
    05-19-08 08:42 AM
    someone on another site told me to put the bb curve in a diaper to help remove the moisture better and to tie it tightly in a walmart bag and so thats what i did. hopefully my blackberry functions after this. thanks for your replies!
    05-19-08 10:07 AM
    Make sure it is COMPLETELY dry better attempting to power it on and trying to use it.

The mistake people make is trying to use it too early. When you have a water/moisture issue, the first step is too quickly remove the cover and battery.

Keep the unit unpowered until you are sure that it is 100% free of moisture. Using a hair dryer or similar can speed the process. Once completely dry, reinsert the battery and try to access the unit. Hopefully, you were successful at removing the sources of power before the water/power caused any circuit board damage.
    05-19-08 10:13 AM
    Make sure it is COMPLETELY dry better attempting to power it on and trying to use it.

The mistake people make is trying to use it too early. When you have a water/moisture issue, the first step is too quickly remove the cover and battery.

Keep the unit unpowered until you are sure that it is 100% free of moisture. Using a hair dryer or similar can speed the process. Once completely dry, reinsert the battery and try to access the unit. Hopefully, you were successful at removing the sources of power before the water/power caused any circuit board damage.
    even after it got wet, it was still ringing and then i pulled the battery, but like a *****, i turned it back on, but just for a second bc it still wouldnt do anything, just the trackball moved and so, i have left it off. right now, it's sitting in a diaper in a walmart bag. i probably wont turn it back on again until tomorrow night, just to be on the safe side. thank god i didnt get rid of my razor phone after i had gotten the blackberry.
    05-19-08 10:18 AM
    The bag is probably not the best idea, the moisture will be trapped in the bag. Much better to get air circulation going.
    05-19-08 10:20 AM
    The bag is probably not the best idea, the moisture will be trapped in the bag. Much better to get air circulation going.
    so, just in the diaper to pull out the moisture?
    05-19-08 10:25 AM
    Yep. I've also heard the putting it in rice will help draw out the moisture.
    05-19-08 10:29 AM
    Why don't you put it in a bowl of rice to wick the moisture away? Either way, suck that AT&T won't insure a BB. I'd complain about that. All other carriers have insurance for their phones, no matter what they are.
    05-19-08 10:30 AM
    I wouldn't even put it in a diaper. I think the rice would work better.
    05-19-08 10:35 AM
    I wouldn't even put it in a diaper. I think the rice would work better.
    yea, the person suggested that first, but i dont have rice (we made it on saturday with bb), so they said a diaper would work just as good bc it has silicone absorbant material...
    05-19-08 10:52 AM
    Where are yo located? I've got a couple boxes of rice here.... lol
    05-19-08 11:02 AM
    Where are yo located? I've got a couple boxes of rice here.... lol
    i just found a bag of rice!!! the pieces of rice look tiny, they wont get wedged in the cracks of the blackberry?
    05-19-08 11:05 AM
    Wrap the BB loosely in a paper towel, then into the rice. That will keep the rice outta the BB.
    05-19-08 11:10 AM
    Wrap the BB loosely in a paper towel, then into the rice. That will keep the rice outta the BB.
    would it still remove the moisture with the paper towel in the way?
    05-19-08 11:15 AM
    Yep - the rice will still wick the moisture out. Or try a piece of mesh or cheesecloth.
    05-19-08 11:17 AM
    LOL. I hear that ATT will be offering insurance on the BB soon, and good luck with your Curve.
    05-19-08 11:26 AM
    hopefully so and hopefully my bb curve will survive this! but wouldnt they be able to tell if water got in it?
    05-19-08 11:42 AM
    i am so relieved! my phone is up and running again!!
    05-20-08 03:40 PM
    i am so relieved! my phone is up and running again!!
    So glad to hear that, Angela!

I was hoping you'd let us know...
    05-20-08 03:42 PM
    Why don't you put it in a bowl of rice to wick the moisture away? Either way, suck that AT&T won't insure a BB. I'd complain about that. All other carriers have insurance for their phones, no matter what they are.

I do not work for AT&T; however, the company has been advertising that starting in June, Blackberries/other PDA's will be insurable for app. $5.00/month. I also saw this info in another forum.
    05-20-08 03:49 PM
    I have never liked the rice treatment for moisture removal on micro-electronic devices. Why? Whilst it is true that rice is hygroscopic (sucks up moisture) the particles of dust that exist in a bag of rice is truly amazing. This stuff gets inside the device and ses hard (rice dust + water = cement, kinda).

I much prefer to do as Chaz suggested, and I forgot to say, to place the device on a warm surface such as a radiator or a TV set and leave it overnight with the battery out (SIM and Media Card too with a BB).

I have even put them into the kitchen oven (not the microwave...) which has been heated to about 150F and then switched off and the door left slightly open.

Putting it into a diaper is good too because of the water absorbsion product in there too but you must not put it on the baby with the phone inside...

All in all I prefer an open powered off case and gentle heat.
    05-20-08 04:33 PM
    If you use a hairdryer, make sure it is on a low setting. Hairdryers can get very hot and it could cause further damage.
    05-20-08 04:38 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD