My trackball cursor on my 8320. suddenly wouldn't go down or to the left. I contacted T-mobile BB support who recommended wiping the BB to correct the suspected software problem. Unfortunately I couldn't get to "options" to click it with the trackball. Customer service said nothing could be done, buy a new phone.

After hanging up and feeling miserable, I remember that if you enter the password lock on the phone incorrectly 10 times, it wipes the phone. So I backed it up, wiped the phone, restored and it's as good as new.

So if you don't have a password lock on your phone, you might want to reconsider.
    03-17-09 09:54 AM
    hmmm it doesn't seem like a good feature to me. so if I lost my phone/or it gets stolen & it's locked, some fool can just try the PW 10 times then it wiped the phone & unlocks it?
    03-17-09 10:15 AM
    Without the passcode, they have full access to everything on your phone, e.g. contacts, files, memos.
    Wiping the phone doesn't unlock it.
    03-17-09 10:42 AM
    Smart thinking. I'm worried to set a passcode on mine for the fact that if I am drunk and trying to put in my passcode and i fumble, i pay the price.
    03-17-09 11:51 AM
    Smart thinking. I'm worried to set a passcode on mine for the fact that if I am drunk and trying to put in my passcode and i fumble, i pay the price.
    Haha, lol!
    03-17-09 12:04 PM
    Does it really wipe it if you get it wrong 10 times ? !

So in reality someone could play a real sick prank on you too!

Not sure if thats a good or a bad thing.
    Glad it worked for you.
    03-17-09 12:29 PM
    Yes, it really wipes the phone of all your info. Think of it, if it's stolen, do you prefer they get your phone, or phone + info.

As far as being drunk, it gives you a final warning on the 10th attempt that you'll wipe your info. If you get that far, time to put the phone down and sleep it off.
    03-17-09 12:40 PM
    Yes, it really wipes the phone of all your info. Think of it, if it's stolen, do you prefer they get your phone, or phone + info.

As far as being drunk, it gives you a final warning on the 10th attempt that you'll wipe your info. If you get that far, time to put the phone down and sleep it off.
    No no, dont get me wrong I think the data protection is a great idea, after all I back up regularly so have nothing to worry about. Just didnt realise the system was there in place.

The drunk thing wont happen with me, being a non drinker lol, so I could not agree more
    03-17-09 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD