So for some reason after a while of the phone being on the escape key turns into a shortcut for Hl... as if i typed in h then l looking for an address... does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks,
    Ksuclipse
    05-08-08 11:09 AM
    i have that too! It's HORRIBLE, i find a few taps and a battery pull sets it back but I really have no idea what could be causing it. I have updated the firmware, restored it, done everything but it seems to just come and go, bump.

it also forces "HL" in whenever i press the H key and sometimes other keys, it must be a software issue since we both have the HL
    05-08-08 11:15 PM
    i had spoken with blackberry about it and apparently it's a known issue with the MDS but all they told me was to wipe my handheld. did that, waited two days for a new BES password and still having the same issue. i'm kind of hoping that when the new device software comes out it will get fixed. i have 4.2 right now but i've heard 4.3 is out there somewhere, just havent found it yet...
    05-10-08 02:55 PM
    I wouldn't wait if your phone should be covered under warranty so have ATT replace it. If you just wanna upgrade to 4.3 searche the site its here. Welcome to CB.
    05-10-08 03:12 PM
    I'm going to have att replace mine although I had to replace the lens with a new one cause mine cracked. In interim try to goto options language and turn off 'use input language shortcut' I heard that helped for someone else.

It usually always happens when its in my pocket at a club or in tight jeans

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-08 03:57 PM
    Still happening even after turning off the language shortcut but now a reset fixes it, super annoying though

Alt + right caps + delete for curve owners

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-08 02:04 PM
    I have the same thing. Sometimes last an hour sometimes 30 seconds. Anybody know for sure what s the cause?
    06-04-08 04:09 PM
    I wiped completley and now I use os 4.2.2.194 has been fine so far. I also started puttng it in the leather pouch and its been fine.

Someone above said its a MDS hash problem I.e. Something in the software
    06-04-08 06:26 PM
    Issue has returned.
    Once again has happened when in tight jeans pocket. I was working in a not moist but humid environment. I believe it could be something in those type of environments that creates this hl issue.

Once again leaving the device off with a battery pull and reinserting it ~10 mins later has resolved the issue.

I am attempting to warranty replace my phone now. Does anyone have the direct 800 number for warranty replacement or for the data device support hotline?

Thanks
    08-04-08 07:42 PM
    I think I may have figured it out. My mom's Verizon Curve 2 was having this issue with the S key. Every time she used the letter S in a text, email, menu, etc. it would replace it with 'hl'. I couldn't figure it out, until I accidentally hit the S and D keys simultaneously. From that point on, whenever I hit S, it would automatically add D. So to undo it, I hit S and D together again, and sure enough it stopped changing the input. Maybe y'all could try the same thing before having to wipe and reprogram yours?

It seems like a predictive algorithm gone bad, or one that didn't get completed in time for the OS release, but never got removed from the code before the official compile. Not sure how to submit this info to Blackberry, but I'm sure if I came across it by chance, they can find it in the code (if they haven't already) and patch it in the next OS release.

Hope this works for you folks too!
    ~RJ

Posted from my iPod touch, actually :P
    Last edited by computeRJ; 05-07-10 at 03:42 PM.
    05-07-10 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD