does this remove your inbox and call log?
    because I "think" I did a hard reset, and lost an important text message (even though I swear up and down I marked it to save). but all my emails are still there....
    05-28-08 12:26 AM
    I believe a hard reset does delete even the internally saved messages.
    05-28-08 12:52 AM
    rats.
    well all of my messages marked as saved ARE still there, just not anything new and unmarked, so that's a relief. and I did a little investigatin and got the info I needed out of the text I lost. so all is well!
    05-28-08 05:55 AM
    A hard reset, does not delete any messages on your device, low memory does. Check your free memory, Options > Status. It needs to be above 10 000 000 to operate efficently. If it is low, read and do this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    05-28-08 06:03 AM
    I have plenty of memory, only a couple 3rd party apps and everything else is stored on SD card.

and this has ONLY happened this once, when I did the reset. never has done it by turning off, battery pull, etc.
    05-28-08 06:15 AM
    How did you do the "hard reset," if not by a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-08 07:09 AM
    I just assumed it's what you call what I did. I read about how to do it somewhere on this forum. something about alt, shift and another button.

anyways, I reset it WITHOUT doing a battery pull.
    05-28-08 08:58 AM
    if i'm not mistakin he "hard reset" is defined by pulling the battery while the phone is still powered up. i think what you did is called a soft reset. somebody correct me if i'm wrong though
    05-28-08 09:03 AM
    Actually a hard reset is when you wipe the phone completely, if you want to get technical. I honestly think that there's too many terms for different resets that actually confuse people, so I don't like to use them. Restart (warm and cold) is better used because that's really what you're doing... restarting the device. A warm restart is when you do Alt+R_Shift+Del and the BB reboots, but doesn't hourglass on startup (comes up to the homescreen quickly). if you do the same procedure a second time (withing 10 secs of BB coming back up to home screen) it'll cause a cold reset (similar to a battery pull) where the BB will hourglass for a couple of minutes on startup.

I know, this is probably confusing you even more.
    05-28-08 09:07 AM
    JRSCCivic98: interesting point re performing Alt-R.Shft-del a second time within 10 seconds. I hasn't read that before. Not sure it's physically possible on my 8830 with IT-policy controlled password. I'm going to try to see if I can unlock and reboot in 10 seconds.

05-28-08 09:12 AM
    Actually a hard reset is when you wipe the phone completely, if you want to get technical. I honestly think that there's too many terms for different resets that actually confuse people, so I don't like to use them. Restart (warm and cold) is better used because that's really what you're doing... restarting the device. A warm restart is when you do Alt+R_Shift+Del and the BB reboots, but doesn't hourglass on startup (comes up to the homescreen quickly). if you do the same procedure a second time (withing 10 secs of BB coming back up to home screen) it'll cause a cold reset (similar to a battery pull) where the BB will hourglass for a couple of minutes on startup.

I know, this is probably confusing you even more.

I did what you refer to as the cold reset. my phone was lagging a bit and so I did this and....poof. all gone.
    05-28-08 09:15 AM
    As long as the BB hourglasses on startup for extended period of time, you don't need to do the second restart. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't and does the quick restart where a second hit is needed for a full one.
    05-28-08 09:17 AM
    I did what you refer to as the cold reset. my phone was lagging a bit and so I did this and....poof. all gone.
    Don't leave apps open and it won't lag on you. When you're done with an app hit Menu/Close. In email, back out with the Back button all the way to main Home Screen. Hitting the End button while in apps does not close them out completely. Leaving apps open is also what causes you to run out of memory quickly (depending on apps running).
    05-28-08 09:19 AM
    Don't leave apps open and it won't lag on you. When you're done with an app hit Menu/Close. In email, back out with the Back button all the way to main Home Screen. Hitting the End button while in apps does not close them out completely. Leaving apps open is also what causes you to run out of memory quickly (depending on apps running).
    as I mentioned above, I do all the things possible to keep my memory free. I do close out of applications. it mostly happens after changing themes and annoys the **** out of me for a couple minutes and then back to good.
    05-28-08 09:22 AM
    but anyways, why did this delete my messages? its not a big deal now that I have the info I needed, but it would be nice to know.
    05-28-08 09:27 AM
    JRSCCivic98: I just did the Alt-R.Shift-del twice in succession. The first time, I got the hour glass and the black Verizon start-up screen. Turns out you don't have to unlock to reboot, so I was easily able to do a second Alt-R.shift-del in 10 seconds, with the same result. While I was doing all that, you posted your note re sometimes getting the hour glass the first time and the lack of need for doing it a second time in that event. My experience backs that up.

05-28-08 09:29 AM
    Probably because you were low on memory. File Free has to be above 15MB to keep this from happening. Anything close to or below 10MB free is too low for some reason.
    05-28-08 09:30 AM
    I have done a number of battery pulls (hardset,coldset whatever you call it) and never lost an email or text message. The only thing I can think of for your situation is the multiple theme changes which may alter which logs you view i.e. do your text msgs log with the call log, email log, or are they seperate, or are your log settings theme based? Maybe the text got lost in the shuffle between the resets and theme changes. The only way I know that messages, emails etc would be lost is when the handheld is wiped which clears EVERYTHING and the phone is back to the day you took it out of the box.
    05-30-08 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD