There's a couple of things that are still bugging me about my BB. Anyone know how to fix these. I'm using BIS with an IMAP account

1) If I read an email on the BB then it correctly marks that email as read on the server, however if I read an email on my desktop it is never marked as read on the BB, even the following day it's still unread and I have to go in and manually acknowledge the email a second time. this makes it somewhat less useful as a device that tells me I have new email.

2) I cannot get it to function as a speakerphone even though I know this is possible in theory as one version of the OS I used had that bug where the first few seconds of a call were in speakerphone mode.

3) There doesn't seem to be any way to lock the keyboard. I would have thought that * would do it, but it does not. I regularly lose the carrycase for days at a time so this is annoying.

4) If I send an email from my desktop, a second copy of the email I just replied to (but not my reply) appears in the inbox on the BB as a new unread message which once again I have to manually acknowledge.

Edit: Also is there any way to sync the calendar and contacts with Outlook Web Access? I realise that this one is unlikely but it doesn't look like the consultants that now run our IT department are ever going to fix the Exchange RPC over HTTPS feature that let me use the proper version of Outlook. It's been down for about 3 months now.
    Last edited by Lum; 10-09-08 at 02:41 PM.
    10-09-08 02:37 PM
    There's a couple of things that are still bugging me about my BB. Anyone know how to fix these. I'm using BIS with an IMAP account

1) If I read an email on the BB then it correctly marks that email as read on the server, however if I read an email on my desktop it is never marked as read on the BB, even the following day it's still unread and I have to go in and manually acknowledge the email a second time. this makes it somewhat less useful as a device that tells me I have new email.

2) I cannot get it to function as a speakerphone even though I know this is possible in theory as one version of the OS I used had that bug where the first few seconds of a call were in speakerphone mode.

3) There doesn't seem to be any way to lock the keyboard. I would have thought that * would do it, but it does not. I regularly lose the carrycase for days at a time so this is annoying.

4) If I send an email from my desktop, a second copy of the email I just replied to (but not my reply) appears in the inbox on the BB as a new unread message which once again I have to manually acknowledge.
    i can answer a couple of these

2) if you look next to the enter key there is a button that has a dollar sign and a speaker on it. hit that and that will put it to speaker phone

3) turn dial from home screen. to do that hit the green button>menu button>options>general options>dial from home screen and turn to off. then press k to lock the phone.

4) http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/gmai...lackberry-853/
    10-09-08 02:44 PM
    2) Thanks. I'll give that a try on the next call. Any way to turn it on permanantly until I choose to turn it off again, ie for when I get in and out of the car

3) Any way to do this without disabling dial from home screen? I really like that feature.

4) I'm not using GMail (I'm using Exchange) and I'm not receiving a copy of the message I just sent. I'm receiving a second copy of the message I just replied to, only difference is the timestamp is changed to the time that I replied to that message.
    10-09-08 02:50 PM
    2) Thanks. I'll give that a try on the next call. Any way to turn it on permanantly until I choose to turn it off again, ie for when I get in and out of the car

3) Any way to do this without disabling dial from home screen? I really like that feature.

4) I'm not using GMail (I'm using Exchange) and I'm not receiving a copy of the message I just sent. I'm receiving a second copy of the message I just replied to, only difference is the timestamp is changed to the time that I replied to that message.
    No there is not a way to do that

Again no there is not, you could just set it up to lock after a set period of time. options>security options>general settings and tweak it there.

I'm not to familar with exchange but I'll see what I can find
    10-09-08 03:00 PM
    I have my left convenience key set to lock my keyboard. Go to options, screen keyboard settings, and scroll down and you will see where you can set your convenience keys o do different things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-08 03:01 PM
    I have my left convenience key set to lock my keyboard. Go to options, screen keyboard settings, and scroll down and you will see where you can set your convenience keys o do different things.

Good point, I never even thought about doing that
    10-09-08 03:02 PM
    Cool! Glad I could help!

10-09-08 03:04 PM
    That's actually a really good idea as I usually find my phone in camera mode full of black pictures, so with a bit of luck it'll autolock itself quite quickly.

Shame about the handsfree thing, but then I'd probably forget to enable (or worse, disable) it when getting in/out of the car anyways. I should probably nag my boss for a free hands kit as the current one is a blob of blu-tac (in speakerphone mode, this is fully compliant with UK mobile phone laws). The BB doesn't seem to be designed with in-car kits in mind, however.

Regarding the Exchange IMAP server, I tend to access it with either Outlook Web Access in IE6, or Mozilla Thunderbird under Linux depending on which remote desktop window I happen to have open at the time. It may only happen when I reply to the message using Thunderbird, but I'll have to test this further next time someone sends me an email.

Anyone got anything for the marking as read problem as that's the biggest annoyance I have with the BB. Or do most of you lot use the BB as your primary email device and thus don't experience this?
    Last edited by Lum; 10-09-08 at 04:31 PM.
    10-09-08 04:26 PM
    Usually i just put it to standby.

I thought everyone did that... i guess not
    10-09-08 05:00 PM

i did the same thing the day after i was out partying and called my boss twice around 2 am while the phone was in my pocket. he was not very happy with me.
    10-09-08 06:31 PM
    Standby saves the battery and effectively locks the device, as well. Its a two-fer...

10-09-08 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD