My BlackBerry Conversion

"In the next few weeks, RIM will start shipping the BlackBerry Bold. It isn't a huge leap forward in terms of design�it's essentially the same platform as the Curve, just a bit slicker, with a bigger screen and a faster processor. But it will succeed, because BlackBerrys just work."

Why I left Windows Mobile.. Blackberrys just work...

No matter how they package the iPhone, it will always be just a fashion accessory to me.
    06-05-08 10:19 PM
    did you write that?
    06-05-08 10:39 PM
    I hope that's not the only reason, I'd hope it succeeded due to its technological advances rather than brand name

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 10:46 PM
    did you write that?
    No.. just a good article about the Curve
    06-05-08 10:49 PM
    Summary of article:

-I had an outdated smartphone for way too long.
    -I don't like the iPhone and refuse to acknowledge the huge improvements its getting in a few days and my comments on it prove how little about it I actually know.
    -I got a Curve and I love it.
    -I know nothing about the Bold and my comments about it prove it.

Basically, it is a poorly written article by a close minded and ill informed tech journalist...

I love my Curve too, but that was far from a "good article." It's one thing to see comparisons on a fan site like this where the comparer doesn't recognize that the iPhone is a 1st generation effort; it is another entirely when a "professional" tech journalist can't see it.
    06-05-08 11:12 PM
    No.. just a good article about the Curve
    I agree, very good article.

Whats the 'android' that he talks about that wont be ready in .... months? I clicked the link, but then I just got more confused. Maybe its the booze?
    06-05-08 11:18 PM
    android is basically an os developed by google for phones.

i understand the comments about the iphone being first gen, BUT....if apple is going to tout this as the end all be all phone, perhaps they should reword. "this is the end all be all phone that we hope to put out. this is just an effort." 400 dollars for an "effort" seems a bit much. even the older gen blackberrys were solid.
    06-05-08 11:26 PM
    <sigh> Forget it... I don't even know why I try anymore...
    06-05-08 11:38 PM
    dont be discouraged, you gave an opinion, as did i. i'm not sure what you tried, but sorry if i messed it up.
    06-05-08 11:40 PM
    dont be discouraged, you gave an opinion, as did i. i'm not sure what you tried, but sorry if i messed it up.
    I try to fight for open mindedness about devices. I am so tired of seeing Curve vs iPhone, Bold vs iPhone, BlackBerry vs iPhone, BlackBerry vs Windows Mobile, BlackBerry vs Palm, etc. It gets old, and it gets old fast.

I understand this is a BlackBerry fansite, but that doesn't present a viable excuse for idiocy and fanaticism. ALL phones have weakness, be it iPhone, WinMo, BlackBerry, or Palm; just like ALL phones have strengths. If you don't like the iPhone, WinMo, or Palm, that is fine; just be sure you have actual reasons for it. I will focus on the iPhone, because it is the one that catches the most flak...

Usual complaints and my counter argument:

Complaint: The iPhone isn't for business.
    Counter: Are you actually on BES? If the answer is no, please tell me how a BB on BIS is more suited to business than an iPhone. (The funny part is, I never get a real answer) You also realize that the iPhone is getting full on Exchange support, including push mail, contacts, and calendar; global address lists, and remote wipe; amongst other things? (Again, usually no good answer)

Complaint: The iPhone doesn't do MMS.
    Counter: Neither does the Sprint Curve. No MMS was a choice made by Sprint, just like it was a choice made by Apple. Live with it and move on, it really isn't the end of the world. Not to mention, there are rumors pointing to an MMS app coming soon.

Complaint: The iPhone is fragile.
    Counter: I have posted links to real world stress tests and the iPhone has always stood up just fine. Appearance isn't everything.

Complaint: The iPhone's keyboard sucks.
    Counter: This is one of the complaints that is actually understandable. However, if your experience is limited to 5 minutes in the store, you have no room to make this assessment.

Complaint: The iPhone doesn't have 3G.
    Counter: Neither does any currently released BlackBerry on At&t. However, both devices are receiving 3G upgrades in a matter of weeks...

Complaint: The iPhone doesn't have 3rd party apps.
    Counter: No, it doesn't... yet. Incase you have been living in a bubble for the past 4-5 months, an Apple SDK has been released for the iPhone. It has been jumped on by developers like flies to s... BlackBerry has been a phone/data device since 2002-2003, and after 5-6 years, it still has the worst selection of 3rd party apps out of any smartphone platform on the market. The iPhone has been a phone for less than a year, and I am willing to bet money that by December 31st of this year, it will have almost the same amount —if not more— of apps as BlackBerry.

Complaint: The iPhone doesn't do cut and paste.
    Counter: Ok, rumors are that this is coming as well. If it doesn't, it isn't the end of the world either, but it is a valid point.

Complaint: I have used touchscreen pocket PCs in the past, and I didn't like it.
    Counter: The iPhone uses a COMPLETELY different type of touchscreen. However, if you still don't like it, this is a valid complaint.

Complaint: I just don't like it.
    Counter: That is fine. It is your prerogative to like or dislike something and nobody can take that away from you. That said, if you don't like it just because you don't like it; say that! Don't make up BS excuses about this, that and the other thing! Just say: "I don't like it because I don't like it!" And move on... It isn't that hard.

Complaint: iPhone doesn't do push email.
    Counter: If you have Exchange access, it will do it in a matter of days. If you don't, GMail is working on push services that work from its servers, no NOC middleman needed (Helio already has access to it). Yahoo offers this as well. Lastly, Apple's own .Mac service is currently being completely revamped, and rumors are that it will offer all iPhone users push contacts, mail, and calendar. By the way, if you use a non RIM registered POP/IMAP email account and are on BIS, your email isn't instant push either. It is polled every 15 minutes, just like the iPhone. Most people use GMail and Yahoo though, so they don't know this...

My point is that I am just tired of people without a clue ragging on something for no reason. It especially irritates me when it is coming from someone that has been using a Berry for a few days to a couple of months. I have been using BlackBerrys for a long time, and let me tell you, they are not perfect. They are strong devices, and are email monsters, but they still aren't perfect. I can make a laundry list of things that could use improvements, but I don't. I don't because I have enough sense to understand that a perfect device doesn't exist, and that we actually live in a world large enough to allow for more than one device to find success.

The other problem is that people fail to realize that Apple never lied. They said it was one of the most technologically advanced mobile phones ever, and it is. It runs a desktop class operating system and packs technology never before seen in a mobile phone. They never said it was the best at everything device, they just said it was the most advanced, and from a technical standpoint, they didn't lie. I don't care what you are a fan of, if you try and deny the technological advances this thing has made, you are only kidding yourself.

Love your Berry all you want, —I know I love mine— but I guarantee you that if all other cellphone manufacturers were wiped off the face of the planet and RIM was the only one left, people would CRY for something else. Choice and diversity is a great thing. This isn't "Highlander" where there can be "only one."
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-06-08 at 12:28 AM.
    06-06-08 12:23 AM
    ok, i see why you gave up, that was exhausting! lol

i understand and almost agree with all the points that you've made. but dont you think that you would be a little less frustrated if this were not a blackberry site? ie, crackberry.com? if the site were howard forums, cdmaforums, or even xda-developers forums, i would be more inclined to see why you get a little upset. but going into the ford dealership and telling them that the viper is faster than the mustang, well, why even go in the ford dealership to begin with? and i agree that there can be more than one device that does the same job for sure. heck, i've even been tempted recently by the htc diamond. you gotta realize too however, that sometimes the apple guys tend to get a little over zealous when it comes to anything that has the magic fruit on it. ya know what i mean?
    06-06-08 12:33 AM
    I don't like the iPhone because I don't like the iPhone.

There. I said it.
    06-06-08 01:07 AM
    And some berry addicts are equally overzealous.

They are both good at what they do, can't we leave it at that?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-08 02:30 AM
    I try to fight for open mindedness about devices. I am so tired of seeing Curve vs iPhone, Bold vs iPhone, BlackBerry vs iPhone, BlackBerry vs Windows Mobile, BlackBerry vs Palm, etc. It gets old, and it gets old fast.

I understand this is a BlackBerry fansite, but that doesn't present a viable excuse for idiocy and fanaticism. ALL phones have weakness, be it iPhone, WinMo, BlackBerry, or Palm; just like ALL phones have strengths. If you don't like the iPhone, WinMo, or Palm, that is fine; just be sure you have actual reasons for it. I will focus on the iPhone, because it is the one that catches the most flak...

Counter: Are you actually on BES? If the answer is no, please tell me how a BB on BIS is more suited to business than an iPhone. (The funny part is, I never get a real answer) You also realize that the iPhone is getting full on Exchange support, including push mail, contacts, and calendar; global address lists, and remote wipe; amongst other things? (Again, usually no good answer)

Counter: Neither does the Sprint Curve. No MMS was a choice made by Sprint, just like it was a choice made by Apple. Live with it and move on, it really isn't the end of the world. Not to mention, there are rumors pointing to an MMS app coming soon.

Counter: I have posted links to real world stress tests and the iPhone has always stood up just fine. Appearance isn't everything.

Counter: This is one of the complaints that is actually understandable. However, if your experience is limited to 5 minutes in the store, you have no room to make this assessment.

Counter: Neither does any currently released BlackBerry on At&t. However, both devices are receiving 3G upgrades in a matter of weeks...

Counter: No, it doesn't... yet. Incase you have been living in a bubble for the past 4-5 months, an Apple SDK has been released for the iPhone. It has been jumped on by developers like flies to s... BlackBerry has been a phone/data device since 2002-2003, and after 5-6 years, it still has the worst selection of 3rd party apps out of any smartphone platform on the market. The iPhone has been a phone for less than a year, and I am willing to bet money that by December 31st of this year, it will have almost the same amount �if not more� of apps as BlackBerry.

Counter: Ok, rumors are that this is coming as well. If it doesn't, it isn't the end of the world either, but it is a valid point.

Complaint: I have used touchscreen pocket PCs in the past, and I didn't like it.
    Counter: The iPhone uses a COMPLETELY different type of touchscreen. However, if you still don't like it, this is a valid complaint.

Counter: That is fine. It is your prerogative to like or dislike something and nobody can take that away from you. That said, if you don't like it just because you don't like it; say that! Don't make up BS excuses about this, that and the other thing! Just say: "I don't like it because I don't like it!" And move on... It isn't that hard.

Counter: If you have Exchange access, it will do it in a matter of days. If you don't, GMail is working on push services that work from its servers, no NOC middleman needed (Helio already has access to it). Yahoo offers this as well. Lastly, Apple's own .Mac service is currently being completely revamped, and rumors are that it will offer all iPhone users push contacts, mail, and calendar. By the way, if you use a non RIM registered POP/IMAP email account and are on BIS, your email isn't instant push either. It is polled every 15 minutes, just like the iPhone. Most people use GMail and Yahoo though, so they don't know this...

My point is that I am just tired of people without a clue ragging on something for no reason. It especially irritates me when it is coming from someone that has been using a Berry for a few days to a couple of months. I have been using BlackBerrys for a long time, and let me tell you, they are not perfect. They are strong devices, and are email monsters, but they still aren't perfect. I can make a laundry list of things that could use improvements, but I don't. I don't because I have enough sense to understand that a perfect device doesn't exist, and that we actually live in a world large enough to allow for more than one device to find success.

The other problem is that people fail to realize that Apple never lied. They said it was one of the most technologically advanced mobile phones ever, and it is. It runs a desktop class operating system and packs technology never before seen in a mobile phone. They never said it was the best at everything device, they just said it was the most advanced, and from a technical standpoint, they didn't lie. I don't care what you are a fan of, if you try and deny the technological advances this thing has made, you are only kidding yourself.

Love your Berry all you want, �I know I love mine� but I guarantee you that if all other cellphone manufacturers were wiped off the face of the planet and RIM was the only one left, people would CRY for something else. Choice and diversity is a great thing. This isn't "Highlander" where there can be "only one."
    CrazE, couldn't have said it better myself.

I love how people will over justify the downfalls of their device over another instead of just accepting that maybe some other device does a particular function or feature better. I've had 2 iPhones, and I've had BlackBerries on and off throughout my tenure with AT&T/Cingular and I agree that each does certain things better than the other.

Blindly praising a particular device because it's the one you ended up with when you've no extensive research or firsthand experience with the devices you're mud raking is just ignorant. I like my Curve, but I liked my iPhone too- and contrary to what berry fans may say, there are things the iPhone will do while running circles around the Curve- and vice versa--but only through this weekend....

My $0.02
    06-06-08 09:35 AM

Counter: No, it doesn't... yet. Incase you have been living in a bubble for the past 4-5 months, an Apple SDK has been released for the iPhone. It has been jumped on by developers like flies to s... BlackBerry has been a phone/data device since 2002-2003, and after 5-6 years, it still has the worst selection of 3rd party apps out of any smartphone platform on the market. The iPhone has been a phone for less than a year, and I am willing to bet money that by December 31st of this year, it will have almost the same amount �if not more� of apps as BlackBerry.

Love your Berry all you want, �I know I love mine� but I guarantee you that if all other cellphone manufacturers were wiped off the face of the planet and RIM was the only one left, people would CRY for something else. Choice and diversity is a great thing. This isn't "Highlander" where there can be "only one."
    I like everything you say more and more as I read your comments on CB.

I totally agree with your views and thanks for some intelligent insight!
    06-06-08 09:43 AM

so you say its getting old and getting old fast.. seems as though your wearing yourself out by posting to the masses of fresh crackberry addicts or even new smartphone users at that. you have to expect "idiocy" so stop beating yourself up.

dont get me wrong everything you said here i agree with 100%, i own a macbook pro which i live by and i also studied the iphone extensively for 3 months... but look where i ended up, with a blackberry glued to the palm of my hand. thats telling you something.
    06-06-08 06:29 PM
    ^^^ me too. agree totally. I'm tired of this iPhone vs. Blackberry converation too. After all, this is a Blackberry forum so we are hardly likely to go around saying how good the iPhone is now, are we?

I liked the article too. Thanks.
    06-06-08 06:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD