Is there any way for Google Maps to actually use the GPS that my Blackberry has so it can get my exact position rather than just using the towers to guess where I am? I tried turing location on in the GPS settings on my BB but it didn't seem to do anything.
    05-22-08 07:47 PM
    It should use the internal gps from the get go. If not, go to options>advanced options>gps> make sure gps data source is set to device gps. Make sure gps services is set to location on...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 07:54 PM
    The new version of google maps does it so that it uses cell towers to get your general location quickly, but then gets GPS afterwords.

This way, you immediately have a starting point.
    05-22-08 08:08 PM
    Gid,

from your post it looks like you use Verizon like me. For whatever reason, they block the GPS chip from being fully functional, probably so you have to use their VZ Navigator.

They told me that it VZ Nav was included in my unlimited package, and I have been using it since I got the phone and absolutely love it! I've been wanting to get a gps but for as little as I would use it, this is perfect.
    05-22-08 08:18 PM
    Gid,

from your post it looks like you use Verizon like me. For whatever reason, they block the GPS chip from being fully functional, probably so you have to use their VZ Navigator.

They told me that it VZ Nav was included in my unlimited package, and I have been using it since I got the phone and absolutely love it! I've been wanting to get a gps but for as little as I would use it, this is perfect.
    Yeah thats what I suspected...

But I also have an unlimited plan, so VZ Nav is free for me? If so I'll be downloading that! Thanks =)
    05-22-08 08:21 PM
    VZNav is $9.95 per month, and is the only way to use the internal GPS in a Verizon phone. If you pay the $9.95/month, you still can only use the internal GPS with VZNav. Many of us have purchased external GPS pucks, which can be used with Google Maps, BBMaps, etc.
    05-22-08 08:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD