I had to get a new blackberry curve 8330 from Verizon due to my old one quit working. Before I took it to Verizon I used the Desktop Manager Switch Device Wizard to backup my old device but Verizon kept my old phone so how do I get everything on my new phone? It is wanting me to plug up my old phone again.
    07-28-09 02:09 PM
    I had to get a new blackberry curve 8330 from Verizon due to my old one quit working. Before I took it to Verizon I used the Desktop Manager Switch Device Wizard to backup my old device but Verizon kept my old phone so how do I get everything on my new phone? It is wanting me to plug up my old phone again.
    It may be too late, but if you run the device switch wizard, right after you back up the data on you old phone you need to do a search (by the PIN number of the phone) on your pc (include hidden files and folders). Copy the one file (.alx file) and one folder (named "YOURPIN#") to a new location. Hit the cancel button on the device switch. Once you have your new phone, simply go to apploader within the desktop manager and browse for the .alx file that you copied to a new location. That will restore all of your "3rd Party Apps" to your new phone. Is the new phone the same model as the old phone? If so, you can also run restore.
    07-28-09 02:33 PM
    Here's a link to the instructions rrphillips is referencing:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

If you ever did an OS upgrade or loaded an application on your BB using Desktop Manager, you can also try looking for a Loaderbackup(date).ipd file in your documents folder. If the date is recent, you can do a Restore from that file. You can also do a selective Restore under Backup/Restore Advanced of just your Address Book and Messages, etc.
    07-28-09 02:38 PM
    yes it is the same model. I tried doing a restore but it didnt put my 3rd party apps on there. I will try the other suggestion. Thanks for the help!
    07-29-09 02:00 PM
    I just reread your original post. Try doing a search for the hidden file/folder:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

"12) Search your computer Folders & Files for a folder with your PIN # as the name. DEFINITELY check System Files & Hidden Files as well

13) After you find it, copy it & SAVE it to a easy accessible place

14) Go back to the Switch Device Wizard page that we left alone & cancel it. ALSO, check and make sure the folder IS saved before Canceling or the folder will be LOST"
    07-29-09 02:08 PM
    I dont know what my pin # was on my old bb. Oh well. I am giving up on it and starting from scratch trying to remember the good stuff I had on there so I can redownload. Thanks for the help though!
    07-31-09 01:38 PM
    I dont know what my pin # was on my old bb. Oh well. I am giving up on it and starting from scratch trying to remember the good stuff I had on there so I can redownload. Thanks for the help though!
    Search your computer for *.alx, make sure you have the "Search Hidden files" option checked in Advanced search mode.

You are looking for a file with a PIN.alx format, also, this file will be in a folder with the same name. So you want to save the folder, not the PIN.alx file to restore from.
    07-31-09 01:48 PM
    A desktop backup isnt going to backup the apps. it backs up data, but i've never had it backup an app for me
    07-31-09 11:33 PM
    A desktop backup isnt going to backup the apps. it backs up data, but i've never had it backup an app for me
    The OP ran the Device Switch wizard, and that does backup the apps. The file might not be there though because the operation was never completed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-09 12:12 AM
    I will try this when I get home tonight.. Thanks!!
    08-04-09 03:15 PM
    I wasnt able to locate my old phone pin file, but did find some of the programs I had on there. Thanks for the help. It was very useful!
    08-05-09 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD