I have an 8320 and was thinking bout getting a gps puck. Out of curiosity if I loose signal will google maps stop refreshing the map even when connected to the puck ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 12:13 AM
    Most likely, considering that the map data is retrieved via the internet.
    03-24-08 12:53 AM
    Yes, it does...

Your position-marker (the dot where you are) will keep moving, but the map will not display.

Once you have coverage again though, Google Maps will automatically work out where you are and adjust the map accordingly...

By the way, if you're interested in GPS navigation on your BlackBerry device, check out Nav4all, which gives you the full GPS experience with navigation, voice feedback/directions and more (it's free too)!

Google Maps does not feature on-screen navigation or voice feedback/navigation...

* http:// www . nav4all . com
    * Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!

03-24-08 07:02 AM
    I've been using Amaze, but about to give Nav4All a go. Amaze is extremely.
    03-24-08 07:53 AM
    Like others jave said, Google Maps requires the data connection to constantly update the map display.

I have been quite happy using Nav4All - it only uses you data connection to calculate the directions. It will only require the data connection again if you go off of its planned course. It doesn't display maps, but it does work well.

03-24-08 08:24 AM
    Do I understand correctly that nav4all does not show your current location or track your progress on an on screen map?
    03-24-08 08:45 AM
    Nav4all will give you on screen locations with maps. You need to use a GPS unit if your phone does not have GPS built in. google maps trianglates you location using cell towers but if you don't have a data connection it won't display maps

03-24-08 08:53 AM
    hmm is there something that will give the sattelite images like google maps does that doesnt require a data connection.. my plan was to use it while hunting in new areas but i dont always have reception. it would be nice to see whats around me while on the new land
    03-24-08 10:34 PM
    hmm is there something that will give the sattelite images like google maps does that doesnt require a data connection.. my plan was to use it while hunting in new areas but i dont always have reception. it would be nice to see whats around me while on the new land
    If you are going to be hunting in remote or unknown territory, it's probably not wise to rely on your BB. For that I would recommend a held held GPS system and put in topographical maps. I have used a Garmin handheld for years and found them extremely accurate. The maps that you get on your BB require data and as you know cell coverage is not very good in may remote areas
    03-24-08 11:01 PM
    I have a handheld was hopefully just using it for the sat images on google maps. I no they make a bushnell one with color and sat images but its around 500 I think figrued I could get away wit using a 50 dollar puck instead

03-31-08 10:20 PM
    I have a handheld was hopefully just using it for the sat images on google maps. I no they make a bushnell one with color and sat images but its around 500 I think figrued I could get away wit using a 50 dollar puck instead

I wouldn't recommend you rely on Google Satellite images. They can be years old. For example, the building I live in was completed in 2004. The current satellite image in Google maps shows it under construction!
    03-31-08 10:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD