Ive heard the rave reviews of Google Maps vs the BB Map App so I downloaded it. I can't figure out how to get the GPS to set up though. I have a Holux GPSlim 240 Bluetooth GPS and it works fine with the BB Map and its listed under Google Maps as an option (listed as SPP Slave) but even if i select it the map still only approximates my location like its still drawing information off my cell signal. Any thoughts?
    05-12-08 10:08 AM
    I use a Freedom Keychain 2000 with BBMaps and Google Maps. Two Points: 1) I don't understand what you mean by "...it's listed under Google Maps as an option...SPP Slave.". SPP Slave would be shown in Bluetooth properties for the Holux. It should not show up in GMM.
    2) GMM doesn't provide a heartbeat signal to the GPS, nor does it provide a 'Start GPS' function. The Freedom Keychain 2000 requires the heartbeat signal. I don't know if the Holux does or not. Try starting BBMaps, start GPS within BBMaps, and when you've got a lock, close BBMaps without exiting the app (so it's still running in the background) then start GMM. GMM should show your GPS location at that point.

If you're going to use GMM, you're almost certainly going to have to keep BBMaps on your device as well. Both have strengths and weaknesses. GMM can't keep the GPS locked and doesn't have a 'track up' option, but it does have more detailed maps than BBMaps.
    05-12-08 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD