I have a Blackberry 8330 (Curve) with Google Maps 2.2.3

Whenever I open Google Maps, its says, My Location Within 1700m (or 5000M). It does not zero in on my location, and "bounces" me around, always getting me within the general area of my location, but never on my location.

Is this a problem with Google Maps? Blackberry? Something I did?!

Starting to annoy me!!! @#$$^#@$#.

Help would be appreciated before I throw my phone out the window!!!

Thanks...
    09-04-08 10:11 PM
    Nope. That's normal because it's getting the location from the cell towers.
    09-04-08 10:15 PM
    Google Maps can't use the internal GPS in your Verizon 8330, because Verizon disables it for all 3rd party apps. Only their subscription VZNav service can use the GPS. Since Google Maps can't use the GPS, it's approximating your position based on the signal strength from nearby cell towers. 1700-m is a typical accuracy radius in this case.

To get true GPS accuracy with a Verizon BlackBerry, you have to use VZNav or buy an external puck, such as the Freedom Keychain 2000.
    09-04-08 10:19 PM
    Yeah I get the same thing...What i do is mark my House and the places i'm at a lot with a "favorite" aka "star on the map" and then just go there whenever i open it up. That's the best advice i can give u
    09-04-08 10:22 PM
    Theres no way to disable the block by Verizon?!

Damn verizon!!!!

Thanks for the help... if any way to beat it comes up... much appreciated...
    09-04-08 10:27 PM
    Here's the whole story, in an exhaustive and exhausting thread. You've got to read the whole thing to get the complete picture: http://forums.crackberry.com/f61/gps...0-update-1279/

This thread is specifically about the 8830, but the issue is exactly the same for the 8330.
    09-04-08 10:39 PM
    Theres no way to disable the block by Verizon?!

Damn verizon!!!!

Thanks for the help... if any way to beat it comes up... much appreciated...
    at the risk of laughing at your expense....ahahahaha. You seriously didn't know that about verizon? I figure anyone who is smart enough to find these forums must have known about this as it's been goin on for years. I suggest you switch to the better provider, ATT. I have free use of my GPS and it is GREAT!

Edit: oh yeah, and there is no way and will be no way to beat the block. They have been pulling this crap for years now.
    09-04-08 11:19 PM
    ...You seriously didn't know that about verizon? I figure anyone who is smart enough to find these forums must have known about this as it's been goin on for years...
    I didn't know about Verizon blocking the GPS either. I got my 8830 in March, when my employer upgraded my 7250 with the 8830. I found CrackBerry when I went googling for answers to my GPS questions, not the other way around.
    09-04-08 11:30 PM
    at the risk of laughing at your expense....ahahahaha. You seriously didn't know that about verizon? I figure anyone who is smart enough to find these forums must have known about this as it's been goin on for years. I suggest you switch to the better provider, ATT. I have free use of my GPS and it is GREAT!

Edit: oh yeah, and there is no way and will be no way to beat the block. They have been pulling this crap for years now.
    Heh, Verizon doesn't do a very good job of telling you that they block 3rd party apps when you buy it. Not everyone researches the things they buy before they get it.
    09-05-08 12:02 AM
    Not having GPS isn't the worst thing..You can still use Google Maps and as long as you know where you are (street address) you can simply input your destination and get a route.

Although, turn-by-turn automatically would be nice. C'mon Verizon, don't you guys make enough money off of us???
    09-05-08 07:43 AM
    Wait until you vzw guys get the thunder, they'll block all the cool stuff too!
    09-05-08 09:09 AM
    so will the Googlemaps GPS work with the 8310's or has at&t nazi'ed their unit too?
    09-05-08 09:26 AM
    so will the Googlemaps GPS work with the 8310's or has at&t nazi'ed their unit too?
    It works with ATT
    09-05-08 09:31 AM
    sweet!...thanks for the info!
    09-05-08 09:31 AM
    That is the bad thing with Verizon, they block the GPS, I don't think having GPS is worth having to go to a company with worse service

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 11:12 AM
    Yeah I hear that a lot, but since I've been with ATT, I have NEVER had a problem with service no matter where I've been. So that argument all depends on where you are located. The problem with vzw is that advertise these phones with all their "capabilities" but never mention that they cripple the phone and all these features you saw in the ads are buy ups.

09-05-08 11:35 AM
    To be fair, the only feature that Verizon cripples is the internal GPS. Everything else in my experience works as you'd expect.

They don't provide Extended SMS on their BlackBerry models, which frustrates some folks, but that's not a crippling, it's just a decision not to offer a service that some of their competitors do offer. It's not a for-fee add-on, it's just not offered.
    09-05-08 02:19 PM
    To be fair, the only feature that Verizon cripples is the internal GPS. Everything else in my experience works as you'd expect.

They don't provide Extended SMS on their BlackBerry models, which frustrates some folks, but that's not a crippling, it's just a decision not to offer a service that some of their competitors do offer. It's not a for-fee add-on, it's just not offered.
    Actually that's wrong. They also cripple bluetooth profiles which is why on the box your phone came in they mention only the profiles it specifically supports. They want to make sure you can't do any tethering and file transfer unless you pay for those things through their network as well.
    09-05-08 05:00 PM
    That is the bad thing with Verizon, they block the GPS, I don't think having GPS is worth having to go to a company with worse service

except verizon actually has the worst service, so there is no loss there.
    09-05-08 05:43 PM
    VZW service rocks IMHO. I have always got very nice, AMERICAN ENGLISH speaking ppl on their tech support. I have never been in an area that I don't get service. This includes the "boon docks". I might pay a little more for service, but it is well worth it.
    09-05-08 07:22 PM
    VZW service rocks IMHO. I have always got very nice, AMERICAN ENGLISH speaking ppl on their tech support. I have never been in an area that I don't get service. This includes the "boon docks". I might pay a little more for service, but it is well worth it.
    I too get great service with service in all the "boondocks" as well. i should know, i live there.
    09-05-08 09:40 PM
    Actually that's wrong. They also cripple bluetooth profiles which is why on the box your phone came in they mention only the profiles it specifically supports. They want to make sure you can't do any tethering and file transfer unless you pay for those things through their network as well.
    I'm not arguing with your terms, I just never thought of Verizon's bluetooth as crippled, probably because it's much less impaired than their GPS. Not that being less broken than something else is a desirable comparison. You can use Bluetooth headsets and GPS pucks, and exchange pictures and contacts with other Bluetooth users for no additional fee. I haven't tried file transfer. Nor have I tried tethering, but I was told that's for-fee. To use the internal GPS for anything, you have to pay their subscription fee, and then you can only use it with their one application. That's crippled.
    09-05-08 10:19 PM
    I am also about half a mile south of the boondocks and get 4+ bars of service with EVDO coverage with Verizon ,been with them almost 8 years now and have never been happier with a cell provider. My mom and dad also live here in the boondocks and have ATT and they are the HARDEST people to get a hold of. They never have any service and when they do catch a bar every now and then there's at least a 30 second call delay, my father in law has Nextel (or Sprint forget which it is) and they just moved here and have super spotty service as well , so YEAH it is all about the coverage and Verizon has us pretty well covered

09-05-08 10:38 PM
    I have a Blackberry 8330 (Curve) with Google Maps 2.2.3

Whenever I open Google Maps, its says, My Location Within 1700m (or 5000M). It does not zero in on my location, and "bounces" me around, always getting me within the general area of my location, but never on my location.

Is this a problem with Google Maps? Blackberry? Something I did?!

Starting to annoy me!!! @#$$^#@$#.

Help would be appreciated before I throw my phone out the window!!!

Thanks...
    OK, we've gotten completely off point, and I'm as guilty as anybody, so I'll repeat the OP above. He isn't asking our opinions about carriers. He's asking why Google maps doesn't work with his Verizon phone, and that's been answered.
    09-05-08 10:49 PM

Uuuuu - well said. And the "who has the best service" war rages on!
    09-06-08 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD