As I was browsing CB I checked my memory. I didn't realize how much space the 5.0 betas take up. I only have 2047775. That's it. I'm rolling back to 4.5 until I can get a new bb. Loosing the space is not worth the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-10 05:13 PM
    You should still run just fine with that much. Mine is always around 20mb after it settles, and its perfectly fine. As a matter of fact, I'm at 19.7 now!

03-17-10 06:56 PM
    I'm at 19.5 free now and I'm only running 4.5.0.186. - Does that mean I'd be sunk if I attempted 5.0?
    03-17-10 08:38 PM
    Not necessarily. The stock 5.0 does take up quite a bit of memory and will leave you with around 20MB, but with the Nathanix hybrids I settle to around 28MB. Those guys at Nathanix do a great job with their hybrids. I tried the stock 5.0 OS when it was first leaked and it was very slow, but the hybrids are great! I would definitely recommend trying the hybrid to see how it runs for you.
    03-17-10 09:21 PM
    Funny thing happened. After seeing another post in this forum that talked about deleting old texts, etc., I did that and increased my available files to 33.9. So now, I'll give that Nathanix 5.0 hybrid a whirl.

I'm assuming there's no chirp in that version. The chirp drove me crazy until I did a recent upgrade to .186 ala Jaydee w/ Xliderider's help. And now, I'm considering this 5.0 hybrid. And to think a week ago, I had no clue how all this upgrading/downgrading works... These forums are great!
    03-17-10 11:23 PM
    You guys need to use the Nathanix hybrids. They strip down to the pure basics, and then YOU decide what extras (games, ringers, etc) that you want. If you don't install any extras, you will have about 35MB free. I installed a few extras and then ended up with 25MB or so free.
    03-18-10 11:16 AM
    I have downloaded the 5.0 Hybrid and I'm loving it. This thing is great and I have no complaints about it. I had one small issue prior due to too many apps, but that's neither here nor there concerning the 8330. I've never had that chirp issue so I guess I'm fortunate in that aspect. Try Nathan's Hybrid it's great!!

03-19-10 02:38 PM
    ... I'll give that Nathanix 5.0 hybrid a whirl.

I'm assuming there's no chirp in that version...
    You can give it a try, but I think I read somewhere that someone had the chirp on 5.0
    03-19-10 02:56 PM
    Xliderider-

Thanks for your input. - - I think I'm just going to sit tight with the 4.5.0.186 w/ .131 radio file that you and Jaydee helped me with. I don't want the chirp, I need VZ Navigator, & I don't want to overload available memory. I guess for me, right now, the benefits of switching don't outweigh risks. - My 8330 is working great now w/ no chirps!

I'll have to decide down the road if there's something compelling to upgrade to: New Tour, Droids, or yet to be realeased BB's. I could upgrade now if I wanted to, but I think I'll just wait for a while. Thanks for your help Xlider - & you're definitely right about the mods putting a sticky on the chirp solution that you've outlined, as this problem seems like it will be around for a long time.
    03-19-10 03:13 PM
    As I was browsing CB I checked my memory. ... I only have 2 047 775. That's it. I'm rolling back to 4.5 until I can get a new bb.

Loosing the space is not worth the upgrade.
    2MB is def. rolling on the edge! as stated above tho, dropping in Nathanix' latest (v5, with the .509 base files) is without a doubt the best 8330 you'll ever have.

i'm running a steady 20-21MB all day long with 12 apps installed - Slacker, Facebook, Twitter - a bunch of hogs.

another thing that'll drag your memory down is leaky apps. BeWeather used to be bad, but the latest versions seem to hold well, esp if you update less frequently.

another thing you can do to maximize memory is make sure you actually shut down the apps you're not using by Menu>Close (or Shut Down), rather than just hitting the End Call (Stop/Red) Button.

seriously, though - nathanix.com. there's a tutorial that leads you step-by-step thru the install, making it nearly brick-proof.
    03-19-10 06:07 PM
    5.0 is really a theme change anyway. Woohoo, threaded text. 5.0 didnt really bring anything new.
    03-19-10 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD