Is anyone using a Curve (8320, or other) with GMail and the new IMAP feature? Does it work, i.e. does you still get your emails ok on your BlackBerry?
    10-29-07 11:09 AM
    the folks at the big G still need to activate IMAP on our Gmail.. the last time i was @ the helpcenter, they said it'd prolly take a week for them to do it.. you may want to check your Gmail by going to settings and see if you have "Forwarding and POP/IMAP." i don't have that on mine yet
    10-29-07 04:12 PM
    was really hoping i'd have mine active by the time my curve arrives later today, but i doubt it's going to happen...
    10-29-07 04:27 PM
    if it comes from google, it should be worth the wait..
    10-29-07 04:37 PM
    I have gotten my IMAP activated on both my main gMail account and my Google Apps domain. Mine got activated the day Google announced it. I love gmail!

As for the gMail app on the blackberry, I am not sure just yet...
    10-29-07 05:40 PM
    try to use it and let us know!
    10-29-07 05:56 PM
    The IMAP on Gmail looks like it is going to be good. I am not totally up on the IMAP protocol, but from what I understand it allows Outlook, web access, devices, etc to all show the same status for an email.

I can't wait for GMail to get this implemented on my account, it should push Gmail over the top.
    10-29-07 06:59 PM
    It pulls mail fine... yet when something is marked as read on my BB, the update doesn't seem to make it back to gmail because it will remain unread on the site. I'm sure someone will figure that out eventually.
    10-29-07 10:08 PM
    It pulls mail fine... yet when something is marked as read on my BB, the update doesn't seem to make it back to gmail because it will remain unread on the site. I'm sure someone will figure that out eventually.
    When I got my BB Curve a few weeks back, I consolidated all my email to my Gmail account. Since I've done this, I've had no problems with Gmail reconciling my email. If I tell my BB just to trash email on my BB, it gets trashed on my BB but stays in Gmail. If I tell my BB to trash email on both my BB and in my Gmail, it trashes it in both places.

I couldn't be happier with my Gmail and my BB Curve. They seem to work perfectly together.
    10-30-07 02:53 AM
    If I tell my BB just to trash email on my BB, it gets trashed on my BB but stays in Gmail. If I tell my BB to trash email on both my BB and in my Gmail, it trashes it in both places.
    instructions please. walk us through..
    10-30-07 05:51 AM
    Looks like I spoke to soon... now items that are read on my BB show up as read on gmail. Perfect!
    10-30-07 08:53 AM
    are you using the gmail app? or just push mail?
    10-30-07 12:28 PM
    are you using the gmail app? or just push mail?
    Push mail through BIS.
    10-30-07 01:38 PM
    i'm still trying to work out this whole IMAP thingy ... but if I understand everything correctly ... i'm going to love my BB even more ...
    10-30-07 02:39 PM
    Is this any different than Yahoo mobile? Sorry if this is an obvious question....just curious.
    10-30-07 02:43 PM
    ok ... so i have the IMAP thingy working ... but it doesnt show read messages on the BB as read on gmail.com ... but it will delete them ... though i just usually archive my messages ...
    10-30-07 02:48 PM
    i'm looking at Google's help website and they only list the iPhone as a currently supported phone ...

Supported IMAP Client List
    Once you've enabled IMAP in your Gmail account, just configure your mail client or wireless device to download Gmail messages. To learn about configuration settings, click the name of your mail client or wireless device below.

If your mail client isn't listed here, we regret that we're not yet able to provide assistance with its configuration.

Mail Clients

Outlook Express (Windows)
    Outlook 2003 (Windows)
    Outlook 2007 (Windows)
    Apple Mail
    Windows Mail
    Thunderbird 2.0
    Other*

Wireless Devices

iPhone
    10-30-07 02:57 PM
    10-30-07 02:59 PM
    followed the instructions ... it took me to ATT's BIS mobile website and after i added my @gmail.com account it took me straight to a screen saying "CONGRADULATIONS.... this email account has been sucessfully setup" ... so i never got to go past step 4 below

Blackberry
    To configure IMAP for your Blackberry, just follow these steps:

1.Enable IMAP in your Gmail account settings.
    2.Select the 'PersonalEMailSetUp' icon.
    3.Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') but leave the password field blank.
    4.Select 'Next.'
    5.Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
    6.Select 'Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP)' and then 'Next.'
    7.Select 'I will provide the settings to add this email account' and then 'Next.'
    8.Enter your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') as the user name and your password.
    9.Enter 'imap.gmail.com' as the email server and select 'Next.'
    10.Select 'OK.'
    11.Below your newly added email address, select 'Edit.'
    12.Select 'Advanced Settings' at the bottom.
    13.Make sure that the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    14.Select 'Save.'
    10-30-07 03:10 PM
    followed the instructions ... it took me to ATT's BIS mobile website and after i added my @gmail.com account it took me straight to a screen saying "CONGRADULATIONS.... this email account has been sucessfully setup" ... so i never got to go past step 4 below
    You probably put your password in. At step 3, you have to only put in your gmail address, no password.
    10-30-07 03:19 PM
    how stupid do i feel ... lol ... guess i should read the entire set of instructions and not just skim over them ... lol ... have redone all the steps listed above .... now just waiting to see if i've done everything right ...
    10-30-07 05:16 PM
    For all those who are wondering what the difference between POP and IMAP are:

From Gmail:
    What's the difference between IMAP and POP?
    Unlike POP, IMAP offers two-way communication between your web Gmail and your email client(s). This means when you log in to Gmail using a web browser, actions you perform on email clients and mobile devices (ex: putting mail in a 'work' folder) will instantly and automatically appear in Gmail (ex: it will already have a 'work' label on that email).

In addition, IMAP provides a better method to access your mail from multiple devices. If you check your email at work, on your mobile phone, and again at home, IMAP ensures that new mail is accessible from any device at any given time.

Finally, IMAP offers a more stable experience overall. Whereas POP is prone to losing messages or downloading the same messages multiple times, IMAP avoids this through its two-way syncing capabilities between your mail clients and your web Gmail.

If you're trying to decide between using POP and using IMAP with your Gmail account, we recommend IMAP.
    10-30-07 07:34 PM
    I'm still waiting for my IMAP option to become available in GMail. It better be worth the wait - LOL
    10-30-07 08:41 PM
    Not quite sure I'm ready yet. Read this today and it kind of deterred me from trying. I'm used to mainly using my BB for Gmail more than the pc, so having the read items and such show on Gmail isn't really that important at the moment. I'd rather get my mail quick then have to wait if IMAP really does take longer.
    has anyone else noticed a longer push time for their emails from gmail with IMAP? ... I did a test and i got an email from my work email address on gmail.com about a min before i got it on my BB ...
    10-31-07 11:17 AM
    Another MOD was testing this, and advised that having the IMAP option on, does not seem to use GMails 'push' technology...

Now that IS a downside to using IMAP! I wonder why it does that? I know how IMAP works, and I don't see why it can't work in conjunction with the 'push technology'...
    10-31-07 11:22 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD