new guy here...i just got a curve 8310 and AT&T is my carrier. i'm happy with it except for the email **** i've had to go through during the set up process over the past 2 days. i'm extremely frustrated and very happy that i found this site. it's helped answer a few of my questions already.

anyways...i have a gmail account and i dont want to use blackberrys set up on their website. it's too big a hassle for me and does not differentiate well between read/unread mail on my PC and phone. i discovered that the gmail applications do INDEED give me sound notifications for when i receive email. i figured i was set until....i noticed that i dont get emails for 15-25 mins..thats too long and wont fly for me.

questions:

what is the DIFFERENCE between the gmail application (red icon) and "mail by google" (blue icon)?? is the mail by google really designed specifically for a blackberry? which one receives email quicker? upon my first few trial runs i believe they are both the same/very similiar.

once i'm guided as to which gmails to use (gmail app or mail by google) i want to know if theres a way to receive emails like PUSH? is it at all possible to have a PUSH gmail app/mail by google account on a blackberry? i've stumbled across conflicting answers to that question and now im banging my head against the table. if i cant get PUSH i may have to go back to the nightmare of setting up gmail on blackberrys email website and i ran into all kinds of issues with that where i could not send an email to myself or sync all current emails in my inbox on my PC to my blackberry.

i know emoze is free PUSH but after some initial research they seemed to be a big competitor of blackberrys and fail to offer their free PUSH service to a blackberry device.

thanks for everyones help in advance. i hope some of you can help me out. i'm frustrated enough at this point and i learned the hard way with AT&T's tech support.....they are U-S-E-L-E-S-S-!
    08-14-08 01:36 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

If you log into the BIS site and set up your gmail account there, it will be pushed to your BB within moments of being received in your inbox.

I've never tried the Mail By Google app, the the Gmail App works great and sends you to your web-based gmail account online.
    08-14-08 01:40 AM
    If u log in to the BIS and set a filter u can change how u receive all ur sent/received mail from gmail. Just set the filter to not send mail from ur email address to ur BB and the problem is solved. Now u don't have to get new messages when u send email from ur gmail account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-08 09:10 AM
    i do not understand the purpose of setting up a filter so i DONT receive email from myself. i want the exact opposite to happen when i use the blackberry BIS email. when i create an IMAP gmail BIS account something very strange occurs---i cannot email MYSELF. if i sent myself an email via my PC or blackberry it gets lost and never appears. of course if i send it to myself from my desktop it pops up on my PC but fails to pop up on my phone. i know it seems relatively minor and tedious but why can i not email MYSELF? i usually do it for reminders. i also hate BIS set up--the read/unread mail is a pain. i want to try avoiding that set up route at all costs but my biggest issue is mail by google or gmail app (which one should i use????) is that i can NOT GET IT TO PUSH so i receive emails instantaneously. does anyone know if its possible for me to get my emails quickly with PUSH on one of gmails apps????????????????????????????????????
    08-14-08 10:06 AM
    ehh theres no way to get PUSH on a gmail app?

i have the BIS set up and read/unread stuff really annoys me. if i read it on my BB or delete on my BB it will correctly show that on my PC when i log into gmail. BUT if i read/delete on my PC gmail it shows up as unread and not deleted on my BB. that drives me nuts. but i guess theres no way around it? i still cant even email myself on my BB.

is there a way i can view SENT MAIL on my BB (via gmail BIS)? i cant find it. and any way i can sync my BB to put messages i currently have in my gmail inbox onto my BB from say a week or two ago??
    08-14-08 12:09 PM
    Hello there b00d9,

You have a few options available to you to get your GMail on your BB. I experimented with all of them and have (what I think) a good solution in place:

(1) POP GMail configuration via the AT&T BIS page -- POP gives you that instantaneous or "push" email feature that you're looking to enable. A few drawbacks to POP are:

(a) No mail synchronization - emails read on GMail will not be marked as read on your BB; emails deleted from your BB will not be deleted from GMail

(b) Sent emails are redirected to your Inbox - not sure why this happens, but this is why folks recommend you set a filter to get rid of those items.

(2) IMAP configuration via the AT&T BIS page -- IMAP enables you to synchronize your GMail to your BB. A few drawbacks:

(a) Slower email delivery and synchronization - There is a small lag between when you receive an email in GMail and when that email appears on your BB. Also, the IMAP synchronization is slow - it may take up to 30-45 minutes for changes on your BB/GMail (read, deleted, etc) to be reflected on GMail/BB.

(b) Sent Items from your BB don't sync to your GMail Sent Items -- not sure why this happens, but there is an easy workaround that allows you to capture emails sent from your BB in GMail.

(c) Can't access archived emails -- you can't access any archived or labeled emails via the native BB email application.

I think the majority of the IMAP issues are AT&T specific, as I haven't heard BB BIS users on other carriers describe these types of issues. GMail has a great list of POP vs. IMAP features in their Help forum.

(3) GMail application -- This is the standalone GMail application (the red M) that allows instantaneous receipt, synchronization, and searching of your email. A few drawbacks:

(a) Zero integration with native BB Contact application -- you can only send email to GMail contacts, not your BB contacts.

I chose to use IMAP and the GMail application, as I would rather sacrifice speedy email delivery for synchronization. I use my BB to read and send my email, and the GMail application is used to search for archived or labeled email.

AT&T's implementation of GMail IMAP is a little incomplete, and I'm hoping some of that will be alleviated in future BIS upgrades. Whenever you make changes to your BIS setup via the AT&T BIS page, make sure you resend your service books.

Hope this helps!
    Very nice, but one more thing:

(4) You can forward your e-mail from your gmail account to your @ carrier.blackberry.com account. Then go to your BIS setup page, and change the "reply to:" address in your @ carrier.blackberry.com account to your gmail address, it will pretty much be instant...

you'll still need to set it up to capture your sent items, or if you don't care about that, then you're all done...
    08-14-08 02:16 PM
    so i finally got in touch with RIM today after i made the AT&T service idiots "escalate" my issues so i could speak with RIM tech support for free. they want $50 to talk to me unless AT&T says they cant solve my problems and ask RIM to help me.

anyways....3 days and 12 hours of total research time later...i've reached a solution. it's basically what one of the posters described above. thanks for the help. i have a POP set up using the BIS blackberry email for gmail. i filter out all the email from ME in my inbox. the gmail set up (how everything is one thread) really messes with the BIS set up. i now hide all my sent messages but since im a BIS guy i cant have a seperate sent message folder nor does my BB reconcile with my PC server mail well. if i read/delete email on PC it wont pick up on that for MANY hours on my BB since im a BIS guy and not a BES guy.

so what im doing is keeping the gmail app (red) and have this BIS basically dummied in so the emails are PUSHED via the BIS set up and i receive them instantly. my gmail app also updates every 15-20 mins and notifies me via sound if it has new mail. but its always behind the BIS set up so thats beside the point. once my BIS starts making noise it basicaly just tells me IVE GOT MAIL. i go over to the gmail app and refresh and voila theres some new mail. so its kind of ghetto but it works. im happy i spoke to a good guy with RIM that knew all this stuff off the top of his head. the first fella at RIM was unfortunately useless as well. they just google your issues just like i have on this forum. its good when you actually can speak with a real "expert".

if only gmail would make their gmail app PUSH enabled then i wouldnt have to jump through so many hoops. its a travesty they wont suck it up and make it PUSH. anyone know of any news where google may upgrade it too PUSH?

i'm starting a petition for that!!!!!!!!!!!
    08-15-08 12:04 AM
    Does anyone know if the GMAIL messenger is available for the BB or just the email retriever?
    08-15-08 09:05 AM
    good question..
    08-15-08 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD