ive got a couple of question i recently downloaded the Gmail app for blackberry and i set up my email but it takes forever for me to actually receive my emails! any help?
    Thanks Wolf
    02-22-10 02:35 PM
    I am not sure why it takes a while but i use the normal email from the phone then download the gmail-plugin. No problems using it this way

download plugin: Enhanced Gmail Plug-in for BlackBerry Smartphones
    02-22-10 02:48 PM
    ill try that thanks!
    02-22-10 03:16 PM
    It's been posted in a few places that the Gmail app has a 20-30 minute delay that cannot be adjusted. I spent a fair amount of time trying to prove them wrong and failed in the end. You can select refresh from the menu, but it sucks.

I have installed the above mentioned Enhanced Gmail plugin and then created a normal Gmail email icon for fast Gmail messages.

There are however, limitations. The messages sent from your desktop Gmail sessions are not sent to the BB. This means that while you're on the road, you can't see all your messages that you might have sent from your desktop. BB messages are however synced with the Desktop sent items folder.

So, the only reason I use the Gmail app now is to be able to search the entire online Gmail message store for older messages, sent messages or specifically labeled messages. Otherwise, it's sort of a pain to use.

You might also want to look into the free Google mobile synch app for your Calendar and Contacts. It's not foolproof, but I'd give it a 7.5 out of ten.

Now, if they'd only synch tasks. Have been playing with the GMtasksync app. It's free if you sync under 50MB/month. But, it only syncs the main category of tasks and also misses any entered notes. But, it's new and something to watch. I did not experience the task delete issue I read about on early betas, so there's a good chance the issue was resolved.

Also, as you may have noticed, the Gmail app doesn't load after a BB restart. Search for a free app named Startup me up. It allows you to have any app auto start when the device is turned on. I have the Gmail app and the MyAlarm app load each time I reboot.

And, I'll put a plug in for what I think is the most useful utility out there. Look into Quicklaunch. It's only $5 and adds homescreen hot keys and a launch menu for the the BB. Can't live without it and worth ever penny.

W.
    02-23-10 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD