After a few weeks of testing both, I've decided to access my Gmail using the IMAP method instead of the Gmail app. However, one thing I still can't figure out is how to archive e-mails on my blackberry instead of deleting them. For example, lets say I receive an e-mail from amazon.com and read it on my blackberry. I then want to archive it so it is not in my Gmail inbox or my bb inbox. When I push delete, the e-mail is removed from my bb inbox, but instead of being archived it is put in the trash in Gmail. How can I delete it from my bb inbox and archive it in Gmail?

Thanks.
    12-16-08 09:37 AM
    I have partially figured this out... I set the Delete On option to "Handheld", so I can now delete them on my bb and keep them in my Gmail inbox. Anyone know how to delete on bb and archive in Gmail?

Thanks.
    12-16-08 09:46 AM
    At the moment it is not possible. There may be software built in the future to provide an archive option in your BB email, but as of now just delete from your blackberry and manually archive things in your GMail inbox when you have some free time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 11:15 AM
    I'm at a loss for words to describe how many months of emails I've read on Gmail and somehow ignored or failed to notice the presence of the Archive button until now. LOL
    12-16-08 11:26 AM
    They only way to do it is through the gmail app.
    12-16-08 01:41 PM
    i read somewhere that this is going to be part of BIS 2.7, archiving and using labels. can't wait to see if that's true.
    12-16-08 03:44 PM
    After a few weeks of testing both, I've decided to access my Gmail using the IMAP method instead of the Gmail app. However, one thing I still can't figure out is how to archive e-mails on my blackberry instead of deleting them. For example, lets say I receive an e-mail from amazon.com and read it on my blackberry. I then want to archive it so it is not in my Gmail inbox or my bb inbox. When I push delete, the e-mail is removed from my bb inbox, but instead of being archived it is put in the trash in Gmail. How can I delete it from my bb inbox and archive it in Gmail?

Thanks.
    If you look in the labs part of gmail. There you will find the ability to add Advanced IMAP Controls. Here is a link to the instructions for Advanced IMAP Controls (link).

The way I have the Advanced IMAP controls set up is, under IMAP Access, 1) Auto-Expunge: Do Not Auto Expunge Messages, and 2) When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder: Archive the message.

With these settings, when I delete something on my blackberry, it is archived in my gmail account. Also, I don't get a copy of my own e-mail sent to me when I send an email to someone else. But best of all, when I archive something on gmail, it will be removed from my blackberry, even though it takes about an hour for my blackberry to update after I archive from the computer.
    12-16-08 08:48 PM
    Well mdburnes, I guess you've proved me wrong. I like your advice and I'm making changes to my GMail IMAP right now.

Thanks and kudos to you
    12-16-08 09:26 PM
    Doesn't work for me....
    I tell it to delete off the handheld and the mailbox, and it gets sent to the trash... Even with the advanced IMAP controls. I was trying to decide whether I was going to use the BB email, or the gmail app for my email. This just decided for me.
    12-26-08 03:38 PM
    I've been struggling with this forever.... THIS WORKS.. the only other thing you have to do is go to settings --> labels --> and uncheck the trash folder for imap. other relevant settings:

- In BIS, "Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my
    device." is checked
    - The Auto-Expunge option is set to "Immediately expunge messages when
    I mark them deleted in IMAP"
    - On the Labels tab in GMail Settings, uncheck Trash
    - Blackberry mail settings are Delete on Mailbox & Handheld, Wireless
    Reconcile On
    01-29-09 10:46 PM
    I've been struggling with this forever.... THIS WORKS.. the only other thing you have to do is go to settings --> labels --> and uncheck the trash folder for imap. other relevant settings:

device." is checked
    Reconcile On
    You are officially my hero for life!
    Thank you SO MUCH!! I've been trying to do this forever!

Now I just need to know how to immediately mark messages that I read on my desktop, read on the blackberry.
    01-30-09 12:52 AM
    awesome thanks man sooooo much
    01-30-09 03:34 AM
    This is the first good argument I've ever seen for using IMAP on gmail. Thanks for sharing!
    01-30-09 07:12 AM
    I just tried to set up my new blackberry and gmail account amarm1 did above, but when I deleted an email on my blackberry nothing happened in the gmail inbox, and when I deleted a different email from my gmail account nothing happened on my blackberry.

Any thoughts of why it isn't working? How long is the lag?

Thanks!
    02-25-09 12:24 AM
    This worked for me.

Thanks!
    02-25-09 01:55 PM
    The step I was missing as to simply not enter your password when setting up the account so you can enter these details...only took me like 1.5 hours to figure this out haha! Follow carefully, and it works!

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.

**(1.5) Enable the Advanced IMAP settings in Google Labs and check "Do not automatically expunge messages" and "Archive the message" under the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.**

2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
    4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Reconciliation.
    4. Confirm the following settings:
    * Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    * Wireless Reconcile: On
    * On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    5. Select Save.
    02-26-09 12:55 AM
    If you look in the labs part of gmail. There you will find the ability to add Advanced IMAP Controls. Here is a link to the instructions for Advanced IMAP Controls (link).

The way I have the Advanced IMAP controls set up is, under IMAP Access, 1) Auto-Expunge: Do Not Auto Expunge Messages, and 2) When a message is expunged from the last visible IMAP folder: Archive the message.

With these settings, when I delete something on my blackberry, it is archived in my gmail account. Also, I don't get a copy of my own e-mail sent to me when I send an email to someone else. But best of all, when I archive something on gmail, it will be removed from my blackberry, even though it takes about an hour for my blackberry to update after I archive from the computer.

I may be mistaken but Labs is part of Google Apps and not currently available for the regular (non-business) gmail user. So ... this would not work for gmail users(?) as opposed to Google Mail/Aps users. Right?
    03-02-09 10:11 AM
    Hey guys, so between mikeru22 and my last post, everything definitely should work. In fact, I just had to reset my email account, and it wasn't working, and I came back to reference what I had written. It's working beautifully now. (Btw, only now did I see the thank yous... to all: you're very welcome... it shouldn't have been this hard to begin with).

The labs feature is what's key here: So first, enable advanced IMAP controls in labs.

1) You must have set up your IMAP with the settings mikeru22 described above. These are Gmail's instructions verbatim
    2) Go to settings --> labels --> and UNCHECK THE TRASH FOLDER for imap.
    3) Go to settings --> forwarding and pop/imap. Set the Auto-Expunge option to "Immediately expunge messages when I mark them deleted in IMAP"

Other settings required:
    device." is checked

And also the ones outlined by mikeru22:
    A. Open the mailbox icon.
    B. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    C. Select Email Reconciliation.
    D. Confirm the following settings:
    * Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    * Wireless Reconcile: On
    * On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    E. Select Save.
    (make sure you are doing these for the correct email address!)

Most of these are common sense. The key is steps (2) and (3) above. The reason this makes it work is because the command that the advanced imap control gives to "archive" applies only to messages being "expunged from the last visible IMAP folder." So if there is a folder in your IMAP that will still contain the message you're trying to expunge, the advanced imap command doesn't apply. And because Gmail treats trash as a label, unless you uncheck that box, there is a trash FOLDER on IMAP that the message gets moved to. When you uncheck the box, though, that trash folder disappears on (or is invisible to) IMAP, and when you're expunging the message from your inbox 'folder' on IMAP, you really are deleting from the last visible IMAP folder, and then the auto-expunge applies and performs the action you've chosen in the advanced IMAP controls.

Whew.
    04-01-09 08:23 PM
    I may be mistaken but Labs is part of Google Apps and not currently available for the regular (non-business) gmail user. So ... this would not work for gmail users(?) as opposed to Google Mail/Aps users. Right?
    You are mistaken.
    Labs was first enabled on regular (non-business) accounts, but also now works on Google Apps accounts.
    04-03-09 02:44 PM
    Best. Thread. Ever.

I've been looking for a solution for this. I receive hundreds of mails from a mailinglist every day and the fact that I couldn't archive them via my BB was bothering the **** out of me.

However. This archives every mail in Gmail when deleting it from my BB, but what about mails that you just want to delete? I'm guessing you've got to delete these manually via a webbrowser/Gmail app?
    04-23-09 08:56 AM

However. This archives every mail in Gmail when deleting it from my BB, but what about mails that you just want to delete? I'm guessing you've got to delete these manually via a webbrowser/Gmail app?
    I'm curious about this too.
    05-13-09 04:52 AM

device." is checked
    Reconcile On
    You, sir, are awesome.
    05-13-09 06:08 AM
    I'm curious about this too.
    I'm guessing that we'll have to wait until RIM supports IMAP folders for Gmail. At least for now we can use *most* of the Gmail features! I'm just holding my breath until RIM supports two-way syncronization. I hear Yahoo has had it with RIM for a while
    05-13-09 06:12 AM
    I just tried to set up my new blackberry and gmail account amarm1 did above, but when I deleted an email on my blackberry nothing happened in the gmail inbox, and when I deleted a different email from my gmail account nothing happened on my blackberry.

Any thoughts of why it isn't working? How long is the lag?

Thanks!
    Hello
    I join this post. I cannot make it work either.
    I 've followed all the steps but nothing seems to happen in gmail.

Mariano
    05-23-09 12:44 PM
    Okay. I have set everything up like people say and I got it working. I would like to be able to choose between deleting and archiving, but I understand that is not possible currently.

The only problem I am having is that when I read an email on my Gmail (in the web browser on my computer) it does not become read on my phone. When I read a message on my phone it does become read on my web based Gmail. Any ideas for fixing this?

Thanks!

Edit* Actually I have noticed that my Blackberry does not respond to any action incurred by Gmail over my computer.
    Last edited by pauldovi; 06-10-09 at 12:01 PM.
    06-10-09 11:51 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD