Hi there. About to open my new 8830 Curve. The last one I had was company owned and they set it up for me.
    Question number one: I use Gmail email. Should I use a BIS and set it up, or simply download Gmail for mobile onto the BB?
    Is there an advantage to using Blackberry BIS to register the email? Does it make more sense to just add the ap from Gmail so that it can be changed at any time? IS there a reason why they offer this, and dont send you thru a BIS?
    Im just starting to get the knack of this, so thanks!
    04-15-09 06:58 PM
    I would use Gmail set up through BIS, because I prefer the push email over going into an application and send/receiving. Also with a BIS setup, you have that extra app space for more important apps than a "gmail" app that essentially does the same thing.
    04-15-09 08:09 PM
    Thanks. I think. Your answer was alittle over my head. Im not entirely sure what the BIS does, or why it makes more sense to use it...it doesnt appear that there is anything that it does, that i cant do directly from Gmail's app....unless Im wrong? What exactly does push mail do?
    thanks...
    04-15-09 08:31 PM
    Push mail is a way around manually checking email. In theory it works like this: As soon as the email is on the server, it gets sent to your phone right away. This is the BIS way. The gmail app requires you to go into the app, and manually check for new email.

Using the gmail app requires you to download something to your device, and manually do things. BIS doesn't require a download, and is pretty transparent to the user.

Albeit, the gmail app has more features, but if you want to just do simple sending and receiving of email, BIS is the way to go.
    04-15-09 08:41 PM
    What Jake said about the BIS is amazing. It's so much easier just having it pop up in another folder, instead of having to open up Gmail itself. I just have my email set up as the last thing on my home screen(Storm Replica Theme). Just do the BIS set up.
    04-15-09 08:44 PM
    What Jake said about the BIS is amazing. It's so much easier just having it pop up in another folder, instead of having to open up Gmail itself. I just have my email set up as the last thing on my home screen(Storm Replica Theme). Just do the BIS set up.
    Haha, thanks
    04-15-09 08:48 PM
    Thanks to both of you. Jake, your answer made sense to me this time, and I found on the Blackberry site, the verizon BIS link...Ill set it up that way. I actually have more then one email address with Gmail- can you push more then one? Or, do you have to set up additional ones thru gmail? One more question about this BIS..
    When i read the email on the desktop- will it delete on the blackberry if I delete it on the desktop...and vice versa. If I read it on the BB and delete it, will it delete on the desktop?
    04-15-09 08:56 PM
    You can set up with BIS up to 9 different email accounts and all of those can be gmail if you wish. Just add them like they were a new email account through BIS.

And right now, I set mine up to only be marked as read on the desktop. If you go to (on your blackberry) messages>options>email reconciliation and go down to "delete on," you can choose to delete both on device and the desktop mailbox.
    04-15-09 09:10 PM
    Jake, thanks. youve been really helpful. I appreciate it.
    When I turn this on in the AM, Ill immediately log onto the BIS site on my desktop....should I follow instructions on the BB to set up email- the original email instructions, or follow the instructions on the BIS site? Which would you suggest?
    Again, thank you so much.
    04-15-09 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD