Ok, I'll admit - I'm new at this. I've downloaded the 4.5 version for my 8310 and it's loaded just fine on my computer...however I have no idea how to get it to transfer over to my phone? I've plugged the data cord in, looked through the desktop manager, but to no avail. My phone is still carrying 4.2

What am I missing?

Also - what calendar program do you recommend to use?

Thanks!
    01-18-09 02:47 PM
    To upgrade the most easy way: The first thing you do you is go to the stickies at the top of the forums, I'm assuming you have a curve because I pretty much limit my advice to curves. to find them, open the 83xx forum.

The first 5 threads will be highlighted with yellow and each contains a link to a 4.5xx OS. Find your device there and open the one for your device.

You will then follow the link to your device's OS download page.The blackberry download page will have a dropdown menu that will contain several different device software files. Click on your device and then click on download the OS for your handheld. When it starts to download, select save and not run. Save it to your PC's desktop.
    Once it has downloaded.

Don't do anything yet, you need to get a copy of desktop manager 4.6. It is the same process, go to the stickies and fid the DM software link and go get version 4.6 without Media manager and download it to your pc, make sure to save and not run. I also recommend 4.6 dm instead of 4.7 because some people have had trouble with 4.7.
    Once you have both apps saved to your PC, you will need to install them to your pc.

First step is to install desktop manager. Doubleclick on the file and start the installation process. Once it has installed, plug your device in, start desktop manager and then start backup restore and make a backup copy.

Next unplug your device and double click on your device's OS file to install it to your PC. Then follow the link below to the 101 install guide and follow it to install your OS. There's a couple things to pay close attention to. Make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. Remember OS's are matched to the device, not provider. That means the 4.5 avaliable for your device will probably be from a different company than yours. Also DO NOT unplug until it says it is done. If you do, you will turn your device into a paper weight - it can be recovered, but involes more work than you need to do .

Once it starts upgrading, go away for an hour and do not watch it. It will look like it is hung up on the connection screen, it isn't so just wait. It can take up to 2 hours - but will probably take a half hour. Also make sure you make sure you follow the instructions to make sure there is a check in the box to backup your berry's settings and 3rd party apps. You will also need to delete the vendor xlm file before up upgrade or DM will not see your upgrade.

Like I said, it's an easy process. Once it is done, you will be sent through the device set up screens. Do them all, it'll be like when you first turned your device on. You can say no to set up email if you already have set up your email. These files will come back.The last thing you'll need to do is send service books to turn on your HTML email and get your email info back on your device.

Good luck, it's an easy process. Follow the instructions step by step and you'll be fine.

Send Service Books: Click your internet email icon (the envelope with a gear in front of it)> click service books> click send service books, or log onto your provider's website and send them from there.

Browser Settings: Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

BlackBerry 101: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) | CrackBerry.com

You can also use crackmem to do the install and use it's resources to increase your filefree memory. Download and install it, then follow the instructions in it's helpfile.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/crackmem-v2-x-released-52044/

Note: This is a reprint of one of my earlier posts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by exelant; 01-18-09 at 03:05 PM.
    01-18-09 02:55 PM
    Do you have the latest version of desktop manager? That might me the problem. I usually just plug in my BB, and when I start desktop manager it will tell me there are updates for my device.

01-18-09 02:56 PM
    you can always skip the whole desktop manager... its what i usually do..
    go to
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader

thats where the loader files install to..
    01-18-09 02:58 PM

Note: This is a reprint of one of my earlier posts

Excellent use of clip board.
    01-18-09 03:09 PM
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I am following the steps very carefully. The DM download link wasn't a sticky in the Curve 83** forum, but I found it on the Blackberry site.

Question though - why are you suggesting the DM without Media Manager? What if I want to utilize music and video files?
    01-18-09 03:12 PM

Question though - why are you suggesting the DM without Media Manager? What if I want to utilize music and video files?
    Media Manager is optional, but it interferes with an upgrade.

The download package is twice the size, and if you install Media Manager, it uses nearly 100% of the computer, just when you are ready to work on your software. It slows everything down to a crawl.

You can do a Media Manager download later, once the current issue is settled.
    01-18-09 03:18 PM
    Thanks Reed!

Sascha, you can enable mass storage mode on your device when you plug into your PC and then drag and drop most media files. I do know that Roxio is pretty good at converting some video files, but as Reed said, it is a trade off and it makes for a huge download and setup.

Good luck!

01-18-09 04:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD