Hello CB.com users, I was planning on getting the Blackberry Curve (8320) with T-Mobile. It's 285USD (185 w/rebate, if I ever get it back). One question is would I be missing out on many things if I did not invest in a BB data plan for 20USD/month? I am heading to college starting in Aug 2008, and was wondering if I am missing out on any apps. if I did not invest in the data plan. I was planning to only going to get JiveTalk if I am able to get free wi-fi in college. If there are any posts that are related to this, please post your comments for a newbie like me, thanks!
    05-25-08 12:14 AM
    you should get the data plan to use the bb to its full potential, you will be able to use the wifi for most things but eventually your gonna wanna switch to the data plan
    05-25-08 12:22 AM
    eh i've heard that i should, but i lost that darn post about what you can and can't do without a data plan. I probably will go to a data plan once I get more into the business world, but for now ya think I could survive on it with free wi-fi and JiveTalk in college?
    05-25-08 12:26 AM
    if you're not going to get the bb data plan, there's really no point in getting a blackberry, seems like you could find another phone to suit your needs for now.
    05-25-08 12:28 AM
    I am very pleased with my Wifi only Curve.

If you do not subscribe to a BlackBerry data plan, you do not receive pushed email and you can not activate virtualy any of the third party applications.

The only application that uses Wifi is the Browser. Having a Browser in the palm of your hand is quite enough to justify packing a Curve.

Jivetalk may work with a Wifi only connection, but it will not initalize properly without a BB data connection.
    05-25-08 10:37 AM
    I am very pleased with my Wifi only Curve.

If you do not subscribe to a BlackBerry data plan, you do not receive pushed email and you can not activate virtualy any of the third party applications.

The only application that uses Wifi is the Browser. Having a Browser in the palm of your hand is quite enough to justify packing a Curve.

Jivetalk may work with a Wifi only connection, but it will not initalize properly without a BB data connection.
    Good to hear that you are pleased with your Wi-Fi only, as I think I will be just fine with Wi-Fi before moving onto a 19.99 per month data plan with T-Mob when I really need it. Dang, you said how JiveTalk might not work initially without a BB Data plan? Well whatever, I'm glad you said this, as I will be in a school with campus-wide Wi-Fi.
    05-25-08 10:46 AM
    I just got a BB with no data plan. I can surf the net for free when I am in a wifi area, which is all I need it for - since you can check your emails and instant message using the web. $20 a month for the data plan seems like a lot of money to be able to just access email and IM through an app. I am not sure why the users on this forum are obsessed with pushing the data plan??
    05-25-08 10:48 AM
    I just got a BB with no data plan. I can surf the net for free when I am in a wifi area, which is all I need it for - since you can check your emails and instant message using the web. $20 a month for the data plan seems like a lot of money to be able to just access email and IM through an app. I am not sure why the users on this forum are obsessed with pushing the data plan??
    Seems like you can be without a BB data plan. I was only just going to use Wi-Fi too since I will be a in Wi-Fi area all the time, and I can take a little time to open up the browser to access e-mail and such. The push-email feature in the BB plan can be nice, but not sure what the deal will be once first year of college will be, how urgent it will be needing a BB plan with e-mailing and such to professors and etc on the go.
    05-25-08 10:56 AM

That is incorrect. Tmobile has 9.99/month unlimited email service which pushes email to your inbox. I have that and I have a 1000 min calling plan and I am very satisfied. No data plan. I use my wifi to surf the web because I always have at least one wifi network that I can log on to wherever I go and my phone is wifi capable so why waste $20/month!

Btw, I'm a university student as well...and I work in a lab. Most universities have campus-wide wifi so chances are you will always be connected.
    05-25-08 11:11 AM
    Awesome ADberry, college rules for Wi-Fi!
    05-25-08 11:15 AM
    uhh yeah
    thats pretty much the BB is used for is the data....
    05-25-08 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD