for the past couple of weeks i have noticed an increased occurence of the hour glass and and it is now to the point where I can't really take it anymore. kind of at a loss here.
    03-25-09 05:07 AM
    Are you running TwitterBerry? That was my problem. Not any more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 05:09 AM
    This is normally caused from a memory issue.
    Do you have a memory card in your BB?
    If not I'd highly reccomend using/getting one.
    Which os are you working on? You can use
    your desktop manager to update to the latest one.
    Also if you go into your browser, click your BB/menu
    button, choose options, then cache operations
    and clear that out completely.
    Also if you have an excessive amount of emails
    and or text messages you might want to weed
    through those.
    Saw the twitter berry comment and that reminded
    me, how many 3rd party apps do you have loaded?
    If you have too many that will start to bog you
    down too.
    03-25-09 05:12 AM
    Check your file free in Options > Status. If it's at, or less than 12 XXX XXX, then that is why you are getting frequent hourglassing. Your BB is low on resources. If it hasn't already done so, it will start to delete your messages and emails to create more memory for itself.
    03-25-09 06:44 AM
    running the latest os, or at least i think so, 4.5.0.77

no twitterberry

frequently clear cache and delete emails/txts
    free is 33mb

third party apps are fb, myspace, opera, jive, berry411, google maps, bbalerts, youmail, vz nav but i close them all when not using, although jive and bbalerts are always running

i also have a few others installed that i never use like gmail, google search, and some shortcuts to websites

i have a media card that is pretty much empty
    03-28-09 08:07 AM
    Facebook can also cause issue
    03-28-09 08:08 AM
    Im gonna go with facebook. I dont use the app, I use the browser, I bet it you remove it, it'll be ok
    03-28-09 08:19 AM
    Even if the facebook app is closed it could still have a problem?? just wanted to know. Thanks
    03-28-09 11:14 AM
    Even if the facebook app is closed it could still have a problem?? just wanted to know. Thanks
    Just facebook being installed can cause issues, seriously. Some people report no issues at all - I had trouble with FB, since going the bookmark way a few months I have been a happy camper
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-28-09 at 11:22 AM.
    03-28-09 11:19 AM
    damn i kinda like the fb app but i guess maybe ill uninstall it and see how it goes. the only good thing about it is getting the alerts right away so i dont have to unnecessarily log onto fb any more than i already have to.
    03-28-09 03:46 PM
    You should at least try uninstalling FB to see if that really is the problem.
    03-28-09 03:47 PM
    come on verizon, lets get the new blackberry
    03-28-09 05:36 PM
    Check your file free in Options > Status. If it's at, or less than 12 XXX XXX, then that is why you are getting frequent hourglassing. Your BB is low on resources. If it hasn't already done so, it will start to delete your messages and emails to create more memory for itself.
    Hello, newbie on the block - I have been following along with this with the same hour glass problem. When I checked my File Free it is 0 - How do I change that? I do have a memory card and not to many other apps.

Thanks ,
    03-29-09 08:41 PM
    Hello, newbie on the block - I have been following along with this with the same hour glass problem. When I checked my File Free it is 0 - How do I change that? I do have a memory card and not to many other apps.

Thanks ,
    Here are some tips to help fix the issue.....

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations) as well as the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

4. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

Also check what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5 of them. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into..

After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-29-09 08:42 PM
    I've just tried everything listed in this thread, deleted absolutely everything, and still same problem...
    04-12-09 11:57 PM
    I have a Facebook Icon but facebook does not show under applications. How do I delete the icon? Thanks
    04-19-09 06:08 AM
    I have a Facebook Icon but facebook does not show under applications. How do I delete the icon? Thanks
    if it is not there because you deleted it, then just do a battery pull and the icon should go away.
    04-19-09 07:08 AM
    I have done several battery pulls and it is still there. Is it possible it is still there and NOT listed under applications?
    04-19-09 08:02 AM
    im well above 12 xxx xxx and i get the hourglass alot to i beleive i hav 42 xxx xxx any clues
    04-23-09 02:46 AM
    im well above 12 xxx xxx and i get the hourglass alot to i beleive i hav 42 xxx xxx any clues
    Read through this thread to see if anything applies:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/annoying-lag-212846/

Also, if you have a media card, a corrupted file/filesystem can cause a lot of hourglassing/freezing, and reboots.

04-23-09 02:51 AM
    You can't delete the facebook icon btw

04-23-09 04:08 AM
    facebook came with the phone and it's one of those you can't delete. They probably pay blackberry a good bit of money to include facebook and make it like that.
    04-23-09 07:26 AM
    Unless you click on the icon when you first install the OS just hide it.. it is a browser shortcut to download the application and doesn't use up any memory nor do anything... If you installed the app.. Remove it using DM and hide the icon...
    if it is not there because you deleted it, then just do a battery pull and the icon should go away.
    Icon will not go away, that is a carrier pushed shortcut... you just need to hide it...

Also its a conspiracy between blackberry and facebook.. They are forcing you to use a free community website...
    Last edited by numus; 04-23-09 at 09:51 AM.
    04-23-09 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD