So, i installed a G1 Trackball into my 8330 tonight that i ordered from CNN...

Going by the forums, the G1 & Curve assemblies are the same...just pop one out and pop the new one in...

Well it seems that the G1 ball i recieved tonight was manufactured backwards. Roll left/right was up down, and vice versa, etc...

It works now, but i had to disasseble the whole trackball and flip the rollers around the other way, and reassemble. Works great.

So if anyone gets a G1 ball from CNN and its backwards, try this first =)
    02-02-09 09:55 PM
    So much for quality control. lol.
    02-02-09 09:57 PM
    Wow... Glad you got it fixed. Mine worked just fine out of the envelope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 09:59 PM
    So, i installed a G1 Trackball into my 8330 tonight that i ordered from CNN...

Going by the forums, the G1 & Curve assemblies are the same...just pop one out and pop the new one in...

Well it seems that the G1 ball i recieved tonight was manufactured backwards. Roll left/right was up down, and vice versa, etc...

It works now, but i had to disasseble the whole trackball and flip the rollers around the other way, and reassemble. Works great.

So if anyone gets a G1 ball from CNN and its backwards, try this first =)
    oh man ,I ordered one on Friday..hopefully I don't get a taste of that bad batch ,I hate taking them apart
    02-02-09 10:09 PM
    My order was just shipped today. Maybe mine won't do that, but I can only hope. haha. How does it function/look now?
    02-02-09 10:20 PM
    i couldnt find anyone on the net having a similar problem, so i think you are probably safe =) it took me all of 2 minutes to fix, but if you havent done it before, its a little tedious =) it looks and feels alot nicer than the white ball. I had to bump my trackball speed up by 10 to get it to match the speed of the white ball. Not sure why that is. I like it much better though. I'll post some pics up tommorow when i get the black casing on it (i cant find my torx )
    02-02-09 10:24 PM
    Nice. I really want my G1 trackball, due to the fact that my trackball is very, well, broken right now. haha. I'm interested in how well the speed and feel works out for me...
    02-02-09 10:28 PM
    the ball is "grittier" so i find it much nicer to roll.
    02-02-09 10:40 PM
    is it as annoyingly loud as the original? or is that just my horrible trackball, lol.
    02-02-09 10:42 PM
    How many days did it take to receive using standard shipping?
    02-02-09 10:42 PM
    Placed the order.... Jan 18. Arrived Today, Feb 2 =)

so....15 days? it takes them a day or two before it ships. so, 2 weeks.
    02-02-09 10:44 PM
    is it as annoyingly loud as the original? or is that just my horrible trackball, lol.
    it still makes noise, but nowhere near what my white one did. my white one could audible roll just as loud as the damn speaker.
    02-02-09 10:46 PM
    hmm. I placed my order the 26, and because of the Chinese New Year, I had to wait until today for it to "ship." I'm still waiting on USPS to say that it's somewhere other than Hong Kong. It's still not even registering on the tracking site, it's so new. haha
    02-02-09 10:47 PM
    it still makes noise, but nowhere near what my white one did. my white one could audible roll just as loud as the damn speaker.
    HAHA. My white one is so loud, it's getting irritating. I hope with the new trackball, it will be quieter. Also, do you think with a red housing that the black ball would look okay? I don't plan on changing the housing, as I hope new BB's are coming out to AT&T....
    02-02-09 10:50 PM
    i ordered mine last week, i can't wait till i get it!!!
    02-02-09 10:50 PM
    Where did everyone get their balls from?
    02-02-09 11:15 PM
    I ordered one from ebay. Coming from hong kong and was just shipped out today but I know its gonna take at least two weeks to get here!

02-02-09 11:20 PM
    I ordered mine from cnn.cn and hope to see it in the next couple of weeks.

02-03-09 07:36 AM
    why didn't any of you just order the black trackball for the bb and not the g1? hmm idk i played with a g1 this weekend and i like it a lot!!!

grrr d4mn phones!
    02-03-09 07:41 AM
    Ok, here is a pic of the G1 trackball:

And with the new case on!

All i need to do is get the trackball ring black and im set

one other thing with the G1 ball..

I think i just got a defective ball. I tried to use the web browser this morning and the cursor moved VERY slow. After messing around with it for a bit, i ended up having to take apart BOTH trackballs, and put the rollers & sensor from my old trackball assembly into the G1 assembly to get it to work. Now the ball works better than ever. So, i am guessing the rollers or sensor in my G1 ball assembly were defective

and incase anyone asks, the reason i didnt just put the black G1 ball in my other assembly is because the old assembly has a white ring around the ball, whereas the G1 assembly has a black ring around the ball (this is the small ring around the ball, not the chrome ring, that is different.) if you look at the first pic, you can see the thin band around the ball, that what im talking about.
    Last edited by lachlancrawford; 02-03-09 at 12:00 PM.
    02-03-09 11:49 AM
    cnn.cn

prices are decent, if you dont mind waiting a few weeks for it
    02-03-09 11:54 AM
    HAHA. My white one is so loud, it's getting irritating. I hope with the new trackball, it will be quieter. Also, do you think with a red housing that the black ball would look okay? I don't plan on changing the housing, as I hope new BB's are coming out to AT&T....
    i have seen G1 ball with a red housing, looks good. there was pics, but i cant remember which website it was on.
    02-03-09 12:04 PM
    does the black trackball light up at all like the white one? or is it completely opaque?
    02-03-09 01:27 PM
    does the black trackball light up at all like the white one? or is it completely opaque?
    It's completely opaque, no light comes through.
    02-03-09 01:34 PM
    I ordered the G1 from GSM4World.com. The price was $11.99, but standard shipping was FREE. I received it in just under 2 weeks from Hong Kong. I love it!!
    02-03-09 05:19 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD