I cannot seem to figure out what is eating the file free memory on my 8320. I have to pop the battery out after just a few minutes of use. I just restarted it and my file free memory is 2612924. I just deleted MySpace from my phone but still have Facebook, Documents to go and Nobex Radio Companion. Once I start using anything on the phone my memory starts disappearing and will go down to 0. Is there some setting I need to change or something? Thank you in advance for your help.
    05-21-09 11:51 AM
    You probably have a 3rd party app that is leaking memory.

Or you do not have a media card and are taking pics or something.

No idea really, but 3rd party apps are the most likely culprit I think. What is running in the background?
    05-21-09 11:58 AM
    I have a 4gb media card, so I tend to agree with the 3rd party app. How do I find out what is running in the background?
    05-21-09 11:59 AM
    hold down the ATL hit and then hold down the right button next to the trackball(escape) and it will show you.
    05-21-09 12:05 PM
    Depends, you can bring up the task bar (ALT+ESC) and see what is running. Usually just the BB browser, phone app, home screen, mail app and BB Messenger should appear.

If there is more, maybe it is one of those.

Some 3rd party apps however will not appear and I have no idea how to track those down except by looking on the desktop for icons that do not appear in the default BB install. QSMS is one I can think of, it never appears on my task bar but it is always active.
    05-21-09 12:06 PM
    It seems like someone might be running a little something called facebook and everyone knows that sucker is a memory hog.
    05-21-09 12:09 PM
    I don't know if this will help, but do you delete all your old messages-sent and received- and your call logs? I didn't even know about the call logs, and the first time I deleted them, I had 512 calls with my hubby alone, so that can do it too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-21-09 12:33 PM
    Oh ya, FaceBook, I forgot about that one. Thankfully I hate social networking so that one never gets me.
    05-21-09 12:38 PM
    Ah, so I wasn't deleting my call log. I just did that. AND I deleted Facebook. I had no idea it was so bad. It took my file free to 3008304. We'll see if it holds. Usually just a few minutes with the browser open will deplete it.

When I looked at the task bar I just got the main ones you mentioned. The only thing I put on my phone that I can't figure out how to get rid of is AccuWeather. It doesn't show up in my applications list. I keep thinking this might be the culprit because it gives me up-to-the-minute temps and weather conditions all the time. It's an icon on my desktop, but I can't figure out how to delete it. Anyone know?
    05-21-09 01:27 PM
    What is the big deal about the file free memory anyways? I have over 50mg of it and the phone still lags while running programs. I've also never dropped below 40mg.

Do I have too much? LOL
    05-21-09 03:30 PM
    For me, it's that the phone doesn't just lag, it freezes up. It won't let me do anything and I just stare at the hourglass of death while the phone rings and I can't answer it, etc.

I'm still not sure what is eating up the memory. I did use MaxMem and it more than doubled my memory, so at least now I'll have enough so that I won't need to restart the phone 10 times a day, but I still don't know the cause of the memory leak. I'm up to 7768579 bytes. I did manage to unsubscribe from the AccuWeather, but the icon is still on my desktop. ??
    05-21-09 03:53 PM
    Memory Management is critical for the 64 Mb Curve and Pearls.

The first thing you should do is remove the memory wasting samples and preinstalled images.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

A fresh start without any third party applications should produce a File Free in the 15-20 Mb range.

Applications and their workspace will occupy additional memory and finaly your data will use memory.

You can monitor your use with Options / Status. Menu / Database sizes.
    05-21-09 03:59 PM
    Looking at my database sizes, they're all very small except content store which is 4539.1K.

The other thread is so overwhelming. I'm a bit scared to try all that...
    05-21-09 04:15 PM
    AppWorld was also a huge memory hog for me. Grab your apps then delete AW from your BB.

05-21-09 04:19 PM
    I haven't the foggiest idea what AppWorld is. ?? I feel so pathetically lost here.
    05-21-09 04:24 PM
    I'm reviving this thread because a year later I'm having this problem again, only worse. I'm having do a hard reboot about 20 times a day. After the reboot I only have about 148459 Bytes available. That disappears rather rapidly. I've done everything I can find to do on the memory optimization thread. I have even done Crackmem. What else could I be doing wrong? I'm ready to give up on BB altogether at this point. The only 3rd party apps I am running are Nobex Radio Companion, Docs to go and Facebook. I tried deleting Facebook but it made very little difference. Not enough difference to make it worth it. Please, can anyone help me restore my phone to a usable piece of equipment? Right now I feel like it's just a neat paperweight.
    06-08-10 01:14 AM
    another memory vampire on these seems to be the t-mobile "my faves" application. when I would upgrade my familys phones it was always reported as being about 5-10 mb or so for it. Maybe it changed some, but man that really slaughters the onboard memory.

old pictures are a memory vampire also, my brothers phone was always crashing and locking up, I found months of picture messages that was total junk. stuff like "hey, is this the <brand here> we usually get, this is what it looks like" that had long outlived a usefulness

gotta do good house keeping on these phones! I'll still be doing good house keeping on my new one, even though I have tons more ram to go around. less daunting if you keep up on it
    06-08-10 04:33 AM
    The weather app should be listed in your Applications folder. Use the pull down menu at the top of the screen to select Core, Add on or Third Party to change page lists.

06-08-10 08:27 AM
    I'm reviving this thread because a year later I'm having this problem again, only worse. I'm having do a hard reboot about 20 times a day. After the reboot I only have about 148,459 Bytes available.....
    I can appreciate how frustrating that must be, you have about 1/10 of a Mb of memory available.

You mentioned that your database content store was nearly 5 Mb. Use Advanced Restore to selectively delete that part of of the database. It will rebuild as needed and should free up enough memory to allow you to work for a while.

In order to achieve "trouble free" performance, I would like to see 15+ Mb available after a restart.

In order to achive this memory available, the single biggest factor is the presence of a media card. If you don't have one installed, a lot of your device memory will be reserved for pictures, music and other media.

Camera / Options. Store pictures: On Media Card

Then, check your settings under Media / Options.

Device Memory Limit: Set to the lowest value available (5 Mb with v4.5xx or 12 Mb with v4.2xx)
    Reserved Pictures Memory: 0 Mb.

06-08-10 09:55 AM
    I have a 4gb memory card and all my media go on that. There are no pics or music or anything stored on the phone. I ran MaxMem and freed up some so that I am now at 3.9MB, but clearly, that is not optimum. I cannt figure out what else is using up the memory. I've cleared all messages & emails, there are only a few saved messages, I even deleted all but the default & Zen themes. Where else can I look?

06-08-10 11:23 AM
    Options / Status. Menu / Database Sizes will show you how much is being used by your data. Less then 1 Mb is typical, unless you are saving a lot of messages.

The next place to look is your installed applications.

An 8320 without any third party software should show 25+ Mb of free space once the samples are cleaned out. Third party applications will use the remaining space.

Use Options / Advanced Options / Applications to review your installed Third party applications. Select an applications and press Menu / View Properties. This display will show you the size of the application in memory.

Review your installed software and consider removing some of the larger apps to free up workspace.
    06-08-10 11:46 AM
    When I use options/advanced options/applications/menu/view properties it just tells me the versions of the applications I have. It does not tell me the sizes of the applications.

179.7K is my total file size when I use status/database sizes.

I can't see what else I can possibly cut out without leaving my BB practically useless. What is the point of having a handheld that is capable of all these things if you can't actually use them?

06-08-10 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the feed back, that was my bad.

Options / Advanced Options / Applications / Modules. Highlight the module, then View Properties.

Your database at 180 Kb is not the issue.

I can't see what else I can possibly cut out without leaving my BB practically useless. What is the point of having a handheld that is capable of all these things if you can't actually use them?
    There are only so many applications you can fit into memory before you run into memory constraints. There is about 10 Mb memory available for applications, leaving roughly 10 Mb free for the OS to use and 5 Mb free for media use.

06-08-10 03:03 PM
    My memory is complete starting to suck as well. I've run Crackmem and done all the tweaks I possibly could. The only think I didn't delete was two of the themes b/c the phone depends on them.

Outside of that, I have:

- App World
    - Twitter for Blackberry
    - Lookout
    - GoogleVoice
    - Google Maps
    - BeWeather
    - CrunchSMS
    - Facebook
    - Pandora
    - Shazam
    - Capture It
    - Bolt Browser

Of those, the only ones that possibly run in the background are Lookout, GV, & BeWeather.

After a reset I'll start with about 5mb in memory(!) and within a few hours I'm down to 1mb and more often 0mb. And this is with me thoroughly cleaning my inbox, logs, and phone logs.

Depressing that Blackberry couldn't enable something that lets you store the apps on the Micro SD like with Android.

I sincerely get tired of having to try to make the choice between functionality and apps or dealing with resetting my phone 2-3x a day.
    Last edited by Heist; 06-09-10 at 12:08 PM.
    06-09-10 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD