I can't believe it... I just activated my BB's password, recorded it so I would have it, and verified that it worked (once). Now I keep getting the wrong password message and it said I did 9/10 times and that the next time it's going to erase it.

What are my options at this point???

I did back it the BB about 5 days ago but I don't know if I can restore it since I used the blackberry desktop manager in the windows 7 beta while running windows in virtualbox on my mac.
    02-27-09 12:53 PM
    Not sure about that windows 7 beta with Desktop Manager. You could try and perform another backup if you have the DM software on another computer. If that is successful you may be in busines as far as saving your info. You still might be but I would try another backup on different computer first to make sure. here's this link because I'm afraid your gonna need it in the future.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    02-27-09 01:04 PM
    There is no way to distinguish between a "forgotten" password and unauthorized access. If you don't know the password, you can not access the device or reload the software.

Worst case, it will wipe the contents on the next try.

You were asking about "un-bricking" earlier, the same information will let you force a new OS build, but you will still be prompted for the password.

02-27-09 01:09 PM
    There is no way to distinguish between a "forgotten" password and unauthorized access. If you don't know the password, you can not access the device or reload the software.

Shoot!. Ok, when I set the pw, I choose 1 minute (it was 1 or 10 minutes) as the wrong password timeout. Does that mean I have to wait this time before I get 10 more tries?

And if it erases my BB, will restoring the backup give me my bookmarks back?
    02-27-09 01:13 PM
    Shoot!. Ok, when I set the pw, I choose 1 minute (it was 1 or 10 minutes) as the wrong password timeout. Does that mean I have to wait this time before I get 10 more tries?

And if it erases my BB, will restoring the backup give me my bookmarks back?
    Set a limit for device password attempts
    1. In the device options, click Security Options.
    2. Click General Settings.
    3. Set the Number of Password Attempts field.
    4. Press the Menu key.
    5. Click Save.
    This is the only reference to password security, it is not a time limit, it sets the maximum number of attempts before security is triggered.

If you do get it working, you will be able to restore from your backup.

If you don't, you might be able to get some support from your carrier, they want to keep your account active.
    02-27-09 01:21 PM
    This is the only reference to password security, it is not a time limit, it sets the maximum number of attempts before security is triggered.

If you do get it working, you will be able to restore from your backup.

If you don't, you might be able to get some support from your carrier, they want to keep your account active.
    Agghhh! I'm hosed... I can't believe this happened, especially when I was able to log in once using the password.

Thanks for the information.
    02-27-09 01:30 PM
    You won't need the "How to recover a dead BlackBerry" thing. A security wipe only deletes your personal data and settings. Your OS, SDcard and third party apps will be there after the wipe. Load your back up and you'll be good to go! Unless you set the password before you made the back up...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 01:46 PM
    You won't need the "How to recover a dead BlackBerry" thing. A security wipe only deletes your personal data and settings. Your OS, SDcard and third party apps will be there after the wipe. Load your back up and you'll be good to go! Unless you set the password before you made the back up...

No, I made the backup before I changed the password.

I just tried the 10th time and it's wiping my BB as I'm typing this... This is so frustrating because I typed in the pw twice, I logged out and tried the pw and it worked, and, I recorded it to my password file on my mac. I did this all in the span of a few minutes, I don't understand what happened.

Thanks for your help.
    02-27-09 02:55 PM
    No, I made the backup before I changed the password.

I just tried the 10th time and it's wiping my BB as I'm typing this... This is so frustrating because I typed in the pw twice, I logged out and tried the pw and it worked, and, I recorded it to my password file on my mac. I did this all in the span of a few minutes, I don't understand what happened.

Thanks for your help.
    did you make sure num lock was not on...?
    02-27-09 02:56 PM
    did you make sure num lock was not on...?
    Ooo, good call! Could it be that when the password was made that number or caps was set or hit by accident?

02-27-09 03:04 PM
    Ooo, good call! Could it be that when the password was made that number or caps was set or hit by accident?

No. And you're right, that is a good possible reason (slaps side of head). I bet I did that because I wasn't paying that much attention when I was typing it in (both when I set it and when I tried to get back in the second time).

Anyway, I just restored my BB from a backup I saved about two weeks ago. So it's not as bad as it could have been. And I'm done with passwords for now...

I'm surprised that I can backup and restore my BB with the desktop manager running windows 7 beta in Sun's virtualbox on my mac but yet I can't update the BB's system software. This is a topic for another thread.

Thanks again to everybody for the help and suggestions.
    02-27-09 03:38 PM
    Ouch...I wonder if you had done a battery pull would bit have reset the amount of chances you have before it resets. If so you could have gone from try number 9 to try number 1...guess its too late though.

For the poster who said it doesn't reset the OS it happened to me once. I had the num lock on and didn't realize and entered my password many times wrong just because it was putting numbers and symbols. It reset and left me with the white 507 screen and I had to reload the OS.

02-27-09 03:52 PM
    Ouch...I wonder if you had done a battery pull would bit have reset the amount of chances you have before it resets. If so you could have gone from try number 9 to try number 1...guess its too late though.

For the poster who said it doesn't reset the OS it happened to me once. I had the num lock on and didn't realize and entered my password many times wrong just because it was putting numbers and symbols. It reset and left me with the white 507 screen and I had to reload the OS.

a battery pull would not have helped. it may have lead to a 507 error had he done that.
    02-27-09 03:56 PM
    One of the many reasons I **ALWAYS** advocate making regular backups. My Blackberry is my life so I back up twice a day EVERY day as I cannot afford to lose any data!
    02-27-09 04:47 PM
    I've had mine to 7/10 before connecting to the DM and opening it from there. I was into panic mode hardcore.

Is there anyway to install the DM to a USB drive and run it from there? I cannot install it @ work.

02-27-09 04:58 PM
    Morning routine: put in contacts, brush teeth, synch BlackBerry to Outlook, backup BlackBerry.

That way, no matter what else happens, I know I have a good backup since I woke up. (And I have clean teeth, too!)
    02-27-09 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD