New Year's Eve 2009 a bartender generously poured vodka down my throat, which trickled down my chest to where I was safekeeping my BB Curve 8300.

I soaked my phone in distilled water and then let it dry in rice (brown rice to be healthier) and voila my phone came back to life! Everything was fine and dandy EXCEPT I cannot for the life of me use the 0 key!! I can copy and paste the 0 so I can still dial phone numbers and stuff, but it is incredibly annoying. Try calling a 1-800 number and wanting to press 0 to talk to a real person! You never realize how often you use the 0 key until you lose it.

Also, my keyboard is slow now. I used to be a texting MANIAC and could text faster than I could collect my thoughts. Now I have to go extra slow when I type something because when I go too fast it won't recognize the speed of my texting ability and often my texts come out missing letters as if I'm straight off the boat an ESL student.

The 3rd problem is that the ALT key won't stay held down anymore. When I type a series of numbers I have to press the ALT key before each individual number - same with the CAPS key.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Why is only ONE key disabled on my keyboard and WHY OH WHY is it so slow???

PLEASE HELP!! Should I clean the keyboard somehow? Re-soak in distilled water and dry out again? Replace something? Smash it with a hammer? Use as a paperweight??
    03-10-09 12:04 PM
    once you soak your phone its kinda screwed. the rice thing only works some of the time and is a quick fix, i've washed two phones. i'll go with paperweight, sorry to hear of your plight. carry your next in a ziploc next time you go out drinking.
    03-10-09 12:15 PM
    How long did you let the phone dry, and did you take it apart to do it? If you "soaked" the phone in distilled water, it would take a few days to completely dry out.

I would suggest completely disassembling the phone, flushing everything with rubbing alcohol and letting it sit at least 24 hours, if not longer, to completely dry out. The alcohol will displace any water still in the phone and dries a lot quicker.

I've never done it with a phone, but I did it with an iPod that took an iced tea bath and it works perfectly.
    03-10-09 12:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD