I have ordered a Sprint Curve 8330 this week as a phone upgrade. But before I use it, I would like to ask a few things:

1. I heard Sprint has an AIM app installed. My question is, will I need a Data Plan? I have a normal Talk/Message only plan, and I would like to know if I will be charged extra for using that. I am on a tight budget to use the Data Plan or be paying for extra charges.

2. Emailing with Blackberry. Same type of question as the first. Data plan or no?

3. I've heard from many places that you cannot send pic messages through messages...? Only through email. This to me is a very huge feature for me, sending and reciving pics/videos. Is there any way around this?

4. How many hours do the battery last from normal usage? (music for a few hours, watching a movie, talking for a few minutes, texting back and forth, etc)

5. Is the Curve durable? I've heard many horrid stories about the trackball...

I'd like to say thanks ahead of time.
    08-03-08 01:51 AM
    1) Yes you need data

2) Yes you need data

3)Correct and no way around that I know of. Maybe someone else does.

4)Depends on a lot of variables, but try to top it
    off as much as possible

5) With all things, the better you take care of it, the longer
    it will last. My Pearl is a year or so old and functions flawlessly.
    My Curve was just replaced a week ago because the t/b would not go left.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-03-08 at 02:05 AM.
    08-03-08 02:01 AM

1. Yes AIM does use data. It would be really wise to get a data plan.
    2.I'm not sure about emails on sprint but that's a diffrent plan too.
    3.No sorry.
    4.I'd say about 4 days maybe
    5. Just be polite and non aggressive with the trackball and it should turn out fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-08 02:03 AM
    1. Yes, AIM requires data...unless you set up IM forwarding through AIM itself. It then uses SMS messaging.

2. Yes, email/data are both part of the BIS plan. No data = no email.

3. I don't know a work around for the MMS on Sprint. Maybe someone does...but I left Sprint a long time ago.

4. I'm a heavy user and charge my Curve whenever I can, or it will be dead as a doornail in less than a day sometimes. Depends on your use.

5. Get a good case and don't beat up your phone. Scratches happen, and they stink, but the phone will still work.
    08-03-08 06:30 AM
    1. Yes, AIM requires data...unless you set up IM forwarding through AIM itself. It then uses SMS messaging.

2. Yes, email/data are both part of the BIS plan. No data = no email.

3. I don't know a work around for the MMS on Sprint. Maybe someone does...but I left Sprint a long time ago.

4. I'm a heavy user and charge my Curve whenever I can, or it will be dead as a doornail in less than a day sometimes. Depends on your use.

5. Get a good case and don't beat up your phone. Scratches happen, and they stink, but the phone will still work.
    How do I set up IM forwarding through AIM itself so it uses messaging instead?
    08-03-08 12:52 PM
    you can set up aim to forward to your phone and this counts as a text message but you cannot view your buddy list i.e you can only recieve messages and then respond. initiating conversation requires the aim mobile which in turn uses data

to set it up go to AIM make sure you have a newer version 6.8 ish and just use the IM mobile plugin
    08-03-08 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD