Hi, I'm pretty new here... really enjoying my Berry and crackberry.com. I have a few questions to ask...

1. How important are these/what do they do? (BB MDS Runtime and DOD Root Certificates) Looking to make for more space on the Berry.
    2. Is it possible to stop my Berry from vibrating twice before ringing? Can I get the ring & vibe at the same time?
    3. Even after trying Empower and Beamberry, I cannot seem to see email photo attachments. Why may this be?
    4. What about Unknown Numbers? How do I set what custom tone these get?
    5. Does the soft reset app really do the same as a battery pull?

Thanks for any assistance.
    05-07-08 02:23 PM
    2. Is it possible to stop my Berry from vibrating twice before ringing? Can I get the ring & vibe at the same time?
    Thanks for any assistance.
    i'm not sure about the answers to any of your questions, but i've been wondering the same thing about the ring/vibrate situation too.
    05-07-08 02:39 PM
    1. Leave them alone
    2. Profiles > Advanced > click on your active profile and you can edit all sounds and vibrate behaviors
    3. Photo attachments do not show up in the body of the email. You need to highlight the little area that says how many attachments you have, click it and it will download the attachments. You can then view them one by one.
    4. As far as I know, you can only set custom ringtones to numbers in your address book. This can be done by editing a contact, or when you add a new contact.
    5. No. The soft reset app does the same thing as pressing left alt + right shift + delete key.
    05-07-08 03:04 PM
    2. Profiles > Advanced > click on your active profile and you can edit all sounds and vibrate behaviors
    i'm aware of changing the vibrate and ringtone thru the advanced options, but it only lets you select the tone and the number of vibrations. so for instance, i have mine set to Vibrate + Tone, have a ringtone selected, and have it set to 2 vibrations. however, when someone calls, there are 2 long vibrations, and THEN the ringtone starts after the vibrations are done.

it's a small thing, but it is something i was used to in my previous phones. now i usually hear the vibration before i hear the ring tone, which is sad because the ring tone i have is a real toe-tapper.

i would have it set just to a ring tone with no vibrations, but sometimes when i'm driving or something, i won't hear the tone and rely on the vibration.

edit for clarity: what i (and the OP i believe) want to happen is for the vibration and ring tone to start at the same time. like i said, it's a small thing, but something that just really bugs me.
    Last edited by PoopsOnLawn; 05-07-08 at 03:12 PM.
    05-07-08 03:10 PM
    i'm aware of changing the vibrate and ringtone thru the advanced options, but it only lets you select the tone and the number of vibrations. so for instance, i have mine set to Vibrate + Tone, have a ringtone selected, and have it set to 2 vibrations. however, when someone calls, there are 2 long vibrations, and THEN the ringtone starts after the vibrations are done.

it's a small thing, but it is something i was used to in my previous phones. now i usually hear the vibration before i hear the ring tone, which is sad because the ring tone i have is a real toe-tapper.

i would have it set just to a ring tone with no vibrations, but sometimes when i'm driving or something, i won't hear the tone and rely on the vibration.
    You can't. It is an annoyance of BlackBerrys, but there is no Vibrate and Ring at the same time option. It will always vibrate THEN ring... It kind of sucks.
    05-07-08 03:12 PM
    You can't. It is an annoyance of BlackBerrys, but there is no Vibrate and Ring at the same time option. It will always vibrate THEN ring... It kind of sucks.
    o well. the fact that i complain about something as small as that should serve as testament to how many things BB actually does do right. thanks for the quick reply.
    05-07-08 03:14 PM
    You're welcome.
    05-07-08 03:15 PM
    Welcome to CB.
    05-07-08 03:17 PM
    thanks on 1 and 3, crappers! on 2 and 5 (guess I could as well del the soft reset app, i only dl'd to save batt pull)

4 still has me a little confused tho, in my profiles (currently using 'Loud') there's 2 things marked 'Phone', one has my number next to 'Phone' in [ brackets... the other has "Unknown Number" in [ brackets.

I tried putting the ringtone for the unknown ppl in there, haven't tested from an unknown # as yet to see if it works... will do so and post results.

On #2... I agree with the Other Guy, can't complain on such a small issue when my BB goes an fetches me mail and coffee

Thanks on the hasty reply
    05-07-08 03:24 PM
    BlackBerry MDS Runtime - 799K

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Mobile Data System | MDS Application Development for BlackBerry Enterprise Solution

Provides the ability to access BlackBerry MDS applications and services.

BlackBerry� Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) v4.1 is an optimized application development framework for the BlackBerry� Enterprise Solution. It can dramatically reduce the amount of time and resources required to develop and deploy wireless applications for mobile workers. BlackBerry MDS allows organizations to deliver corporate data wirelessly, leveraging the same proven push delivery model and advanced security features used for BlackBerry email.
    If your device is not connected to BES and your IT department is not creating their own content, feel free to disable it in Application Loader.

DOD Root Certificates - 62 Kb

Load DOD root certificates into the trusted key store.

Weblog: Trusting the U.S. Government
    Subject: DOD Root Certificates
    Date: 2004-10-25 17:28:22

The DOD issues their own client and server certificates rather than rely on a commercial entity's infrastructure. As aristotle said, the DOD's root CA's aren't installed in most browsers by default. However, the root CA's can be downloaded from several DOD websites, one of which is the Navy's infosec site (https://infosec.navy.mil/PKI/pki_tip.html).

Several weeks ago, I was pondered the same questions about DOD trust, so I went looking. The best answer I've found so far is that the DOD has very stringent rules about who it will issue certs to (DOD employees and contractors). Because of these restrictions, they won't give a certificate to just anyone, so they cannot be considered a public CA. As a result, they haven't been included in the "trusted CA" lists. I haven't been able to find a better explanation, so I'll have to accept that one for now. If anyone can find a better explanation, please speak up.
    Only if you need Department of Defence credentials.
    05-07-08 04:07 PM
    now i usually hear the vibration before i hear the ring tone, which is sad because the ring tone i have is a real toe-tapper.

Hehe - "real Toe-Tapper" got me laughing big time!! Don't really know why, but I'm still laughing now!!
    05-07-08 05:05 PM
    Welcome to CB...

05-07-08 05:43 PM
    welcome to cb !!!
    05-07-08 05:50 PM
    HELLO EVERYONE,
    my phone rings and vibrates also,(2 vibrates and rings once before going to voice mail.. i would like to stop the vibrate and just have it ringing,, how do you do that step by step?...
    by the way i am new to site great site best i have ever found, also new to blackberry phones but learning more and more from you guys...by the way i have a 8330...thanks
    11-09-08 06:35 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    11-09-08 06:43 PM
    To stop it from vibrating before the ring

Go into your profiles, advanced, normal (active) then scroll to your phone, where it says Out of Holster, change that to TONE, then save.

For those that are still wondering, there is an app called VibandRing which will make the BB vibrate AND ring at the same time, works fabulously, available in the CB software section.
    11-09-08 06:46 PM
    Thanks Rachel very much..
    11-09-08 06:53 PM
    YW, and that also applies to your other alerts alsol as yu will see, your SMS, your Email, the Messenger alerts, things of that nature
    11-09-08 06:54 PM
    Oh, I dontknow if you will be interested or not, but at Handango.com there is an app called BBAlerts, basically for each type of message: sms, calls, vm, email, calendar, you can change the color of the LED, and also in there, set the reminder alerts, say I got an SMS but didnt see it, I have it set to 5 mins where my phone will vibrate to alert me again (you can also have tones too)

Just a suggestion, I llike the different colors
    11-09-08 06:57 PM
    thanks alot i am going to check it out.
    11-09-08 07:02 PM
    do you know if how to send pics from the blackberry to a reg cell phone.. i have tried sending it to the number @ whatever the carrier is but it don't work?..thanks again
    11-09-08 07:05 PM
    Hello and welcome to CB.
    11-09-08 07:13 PM
    Sprint doesnt support MMS with the blackberry, and Im not sure if its just with the BB, or just sprint in general, you can email pics, but just cant send an MMS
    11-09-08 07:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD