I have a Verizon Blackberry Curve 8330. I currently do not have my e-mail set-up through the actual Blackberry where it is synced to my phone. I use GMail for my e-mail, so I use just the application that Google has made for Blackberries. I can check my e-mail through there, no problem. However, I do use Facebook a good bit, and I do like the features you get when you link it to your e-mail address, such as Facebook updates, like status comments, wall posts, etc.

My question: Is there a way to NOT sync your phone with e-mail (as I do not want to have to check the e-mail on my phone and through the GMail application), but still recieve Facebook notifications?

Thanks for any replies!
    07-02-10 02:47 PM
    Just set up Facebook notifications on your GMail account... you can check them through the mobile app... so no need to set up your GMail account through BIS/BES
    07-02-10 03:09 PM
    Well when I actually go to the Options menu in the Facebook application, and run the Set-up Wizard, it asks for an e-mail address associated with the Blackberry device. I do NOT want to set-up e-mail because I will get both GMail and e-mail from BIS. The GMail functions as my base for receiving updates. I was wondering if I could by pass that and still possibly get the notifications from Facebook that actually appears in the Message icon folder. Thanks!
    07-02-10 04:57 PM
    Nope u could just sync your gmail acct to your bb and well delete the gmail app... That's just a thought tho, I use gmail but not the app just have it setup on my bb works just fine for me

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 09:38 AM
    You don't need to use the gmail app for checking your gmail. If you link your gmail account to your bb your emails will show up in your messages folder and will allow 2 way sync so when you read a message on your phone it appears read in your actual gmail inbox. If you delete the message off your phone it will give you the option to delete from just phone or phone and inbox. its really handy. And hey you use an 8330 so any extra room you can get by uninstalling a useless app is awesome.

Just sync your berry to gmail and remove the app its more useful and will make facebook work. Lastly if you like having your emails appear in a different folder other then messages (like the gmail app) you can still achieve this by deleteing the gmail app and syncing your account to your phone. Its simple once you sync your account a separate icon will appear and be called your email.

As a last desperate attempt to only receive facebook notifications and no real email make a new email account at gmail and change you facebook account to send notifications to that email. Then link this new email to your phone. Since only facebook ends emails to this new account you will only ever receive facebook notifications from it and no "real" emails.
    Seems like a win win situation for you, you still get to use the gmail app without syncing your real email to your phone but you'll still get only facebook notifications by only syncing the new email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD