Hi all - be gentle with me, for not only is this my first post, but i have today received my first BB, and already i seem to be having a few issues.....

I have searched the site for answers before posting here, just in case my question had already been answered.

I have bought second hand an 8320 - it came with no software whatsoever, just the BB and the charger. However, i downloaded the desktop software from the BB website with no problems, and have this evening tried to do an update on the BB using the desktop suite. Ouch!! It didn't like it at all, lol. I now have a white screen on my BB, with a symbol in the centre containing a square, triangle, and circle (all striked through), and the figures "507" underneath it. Having found a couple of references to 507 on this site it would seem that i need to do some sort of reset or reinstall of the software for the machine, but i'm really not exactly sure how to proceed and haven't got any of the software disks anyway - is the BB software available to download?.

My carrier is Orange PAYG, and there is also a blank and unformatted 8 gig Micro SD card in the BB.

Please, can anyone help me get my BB up and running again?
    Last edited by gregh; 12-06-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Error code is "507" not "587"
    12-06-08 12:56 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

Error JVM 507 means that there is no Operating System (OS) installed on the phone. This is easy to fix. Just follow these steps. It will take about an hour and there is a point in the middle where the phone will display a white screen with an hour glass and wil apear to be doing nothing. Just wait, this is normal and can take up to 25 minutes of nail biting before it proceeds to the next step.

You need to reinstall your Operating System. You can get that here for your 8320 http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...-8320-a-75755/ Make sure that you download and install (important to install on your PC) the correct OS for your phone as others will never install.

Now get CrackMem from my signature (it's free). Install that on your PC as well and then read the help file as it has a set by step install process.

Make sure also that you have Dsktop Manager installed. Get version 4.6 with no media manager from here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...93E4F3BB068C22 if you do not already have it installed.

I suggest that you use CrackMem's Wipe Device function before you start as this will zero the device prior to OS installation.

Please come back here and report progress or if you need more help.
    Last edited by Pete6; 12-06-08 at 01:13 PM.
    12-06-08 01:09 PM
    Peter - thank you. It may take me a day or so to report back as i need to leave for work soon, but i'll try all you have suggested, and let you know how i get on.

Once again, many thanks,

Greg
    12-06-08 01:12 PM
    Peter et al,

Ok, so after a number of failed attempts (due my own incompetence rather than the instructions i've been given here), i'm now at the nail biting stage Peter mentioned above, with the twirling hour-glass image on the screen.

And it is flippin' nail biting!!

I'll report back again when it's (hopefully!!) finished!! In the meantime i'm genning up on BBs by looking through the numerous posts here. When my BB died i started regretting buying mine, but looking through the posts here, and the obvious huge knowledgebase, i'm starting to feel reassured

Greg
    12-07-08 09:47 AM
    Ah ha!! Ok, as i typed that last message, the main screen appeared for a few seconds and "software verification" appeared briefly. It now seems to have shut down. Is that the process complete? Can i now safely turn my BB on?
    12-07-08 09:48 AM
    Just don't unplug your Berry till the upgrade is successful, you will see the "Error 507" a couple times, don't freak out, be patient...
    12-07-08 09:50 AM
    Thanks dood......
    12-07-08 09:50 AM
    Success!! It's back up and running again, brilliant, i am well chuffed Many thanks to all who helped.

Now i need to set up the email, and then find some groovy apps to have fun with, *and* find some stuff to fill up that 8 gig memory card with too
    12-07-08 09:58 AM
    You are in the right place to find all of that and more. The search tool here is very handy...
    12-07-08 10:02 AM
    I am absolutely over the moon (it doesn't take much to make me happy, lol), i've topped up with credit, and got the phone accesing the net via Orange WAP, and also via my wireless network at home.

I think i'll leave the email setup until later this evening, when i'm fed and watered.

Thanks again to all who have helped, and i'll be back to browse in a couple of hours
    12-07-08 10:15 AM
    Sounds good man, if you don't have the CrackBerry launcher you should have it. From your Berry browser go to wap.crackberry.com. no www. and when the page loads look for the install CrackBerry launcher and download. It will take you straight here when you click on it. Plus it changes colors too...
    12-07-08 10:21 AM
    That sounds like a cool app, I'll make it the first one i grab later on

The main reason that i got the BB was to be able to keep up to date with email. I'm a staff rep with a Union, and i was going to try and set the email up myself, but i have a suspicion that my Union's head office has the enterprise server software running on their email server, so i'm guessing that it's just a case of them giving me the login details for that to set it up on my BB. I'll chat to our IT bods tomorrow.

Aside from the crackberry launcher, can anyone recommend any other essential software?

Greg
    12-07-08 10:51 AM
    Jessica, keep an eye on the Facebook application, it has been causing nemerous issues for people lately. Even those who have had the app for awhile...
    12-07-08 11:29 AM
    Thanks guys - a media player would be useful i think, both to listen to mp3s, and also to watch videos on train journies. Can anyone recommend a decent media player - i haven't installed the default one but am happy to if that one is the best one. MSN might be useful to have on there as well, as a lot of the folks i represent use it to keep in touch with me

Greg
    12-07-08 11:35 AM
    I have yahoo, myspace, and facebook but then again I'm in college so those are essential There are tons of apps out there...It all depends on what you think is important!

Welcome Aboard...I'm fairly new to this site only having joined a couple of weeks ago and I love my BB
    Thanks for the pointers Do you use MSN on yours too? I've seen a few third party programmes that will run MSN on my BB, but i don't really know what to choose between them - any advice?
    12-07-08 04:30 PM
    I am in the same situation as Greg with my BB 8300 curve.
    the worst issue is that BB OS downloading is a problem firstly download rate offered by their site is too slow and secondly it doesnt allow resuming.

can anyone help with that.
    01-08-09 02:50 AM
    Greg can you help me on how you downloaded the bb os from the blackberry site.

as i am unable to download it as it doesnot allow resuming and download rate is very slow.

regards.
    faisal ali khan.........
    01-08-09 04:27 AM
    Dear Pete6,

THANK YOU. I had the same problem on my T-mobile 8320, and your solution was perfect!

I loaded the new Blackberry 4.5 OS, and all is up and working. Your solution was easy to find on the Internet and easy to implement.
    02-02-09 11:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD