I had to have the sprint tech wipe my phone and now everything I have to redo. My question is: How do you get to the option about message reconciliation? When I got my blackberry at first, it was already set to off, which I wanted cause some stuff I wanted to read on the computer anyway. All I have when I press delete on a message is Delete, and it deletes it off my phone and my email account. I went to email settings on the phone and got to the part that says: Sychronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device. I didn't click it, and of course press save. Did I do the right thing? Is there a way on the phone itself to turn email reconcilition on and off and how do I get to it?

Many thanks.
    04-20-09 07:25 AM
    Email sent to you is sent to an Email server. Typically you can access this email directly through a Web interface. However, if you're using a Client like Outlook, the email is copied down to your computer, and it's marked as Read on the server, but it's marked as Unread on your computer until you read it. Email on your computer won't be marked as Read on your computer once you've read them on your BlackBerry unless you set it up in Desktop Manager and do a wired synchronization.

HOWEVER, many services including Yahoo! Plus and Gmail now reconcile Read messages on their servers. Yahoo! Plus seems to do it automatically. You need to set up Gmail as an IMAP client in the BIS setup to get this to work. Once properly set up, when you read an email on your BlackBerry, it's marked as Read on the server. This will not effect the read status on your computer since when your email client pulls down the email, as far as it's concerned, it's still unread!

Instructions for setting up a Gmail account with an IMAP connection can be found here:
    BlackBerry - Gmail Help

About wireless email reconciliation

Email messages that you open or delete on your BlackBerry� device might be marked automatically as opened or marked automatically as deleted in your integrated email account. Generally, changes that you make to email messages in your integrated email account are not reflected on your device.
    If you add an email address to the BlackBerry� Internet Service and delete an email message from your email account inbox, the change is reflected on your device. If you turn off wireless email reconciliation on your device, deleted email messages do not synchronize between your device and your integrated email account.
    If you have a Microsoft� Exchange work email account, an IMAP personal email account, or an MSN� Hotmail� email account, email messages that you send from your device are copied to the sent items folder in your email account. Likewise, email messages that you delete are copied to the deleted items folder (except for MSN Hotmail).
    Note: Depending on your type of integrated email account or email account setup, wireless email reconciliation might not be available for your device. If you have a work email account that uses Microsoft� Outlook� Web Access version 5.5, email messages that you send from your device are not copied to the sent items folder in your email account.
    Depending on your wireless service provider, wireless email reconciliation for the sent items folder on your device might not be available for your MSN Hotmail email account.
    04-20-09 07:36 AM
    Email sent to you is sent to an Email server. Typically you can access this email directly through a Web interface. However, if you're using a Client like Outlook, the email is copied down to your computer, and it's marked as Read on the server, but it's marked as Unread on your computer until you read it. Email on your computer won't be marked as Read on your computer once you've read them on your BlackBerry unless you set it up in Desktop Manager and do a wired synchronization.

HOWEVER, many services including Yahoo! Plus and Gmail now reconcile Read messages on their servers. Yahoo! Plus seems to do it automatically. You need to set up Gmail as an IMAP client in the BIS setup to get this to work. Once properly set up, when you read an email on your BlackBerry, it's marked as Read on the server. This will not effect the read status on your computer since when your email client pulls down the email, as far as it's concerned, it's still unread!

Instructions for setting up a Gmail account with an IMAP connection can be found here:
    BlackBerry - Gmail Help
    Thanks for the quick response, but I don't use Yahoo plus. I just had the email reconcilition setting set to off the other day before the tech did the useless phone wipe which basically accomplished nothing. I thank you for the info though. have a good one.
    04-20-09 07:40 AM
    Ok folks, I just called the sprint tech dept and apparently all the service books weren't sent to my phone, so, now I have the answer. Thanks to you all.
    04-20-09 08:12 AM
    Hmmm glad to hear but you would think Sprint tech support would follow steps making sure you have the correct provisioning and service books sent to your phone....
    04-20-09 08:15 AM
    Hi,
    I am in trouble and from reading above i think my problem can be solved.
    The thing is my work email (webmail) is deleting all emails automatically and does not show any emails when i open it but i receive all my emails on BB8310.
    what have i done mistakenly and how can it be corrected coz its a nightmare for me.
    04-20-09 12:25 PM
    Hmmm glad to hear but you would think Sprint tech support would follow steps making sure you have the correct provisioning and service books sent to your phone....
    Yeah right. I'm still having that hourglass issue at times but maybe that's just the phone after you use it for some time, who knows. All I know is I backed everything up on my phone today after this issue, so, in the future, I'll always have all the info I need. Thanks again for your help, god bless.
    04-20-09 02:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD