Love this website!

I'm a few weeks into my first Blackberry (8320) and although I'm loving it, I'm having a few teething problems.

Apologies if these are irritatingly simple questions. I searched the forums but no joy, so I figured there'd be an expert out there with the answer.

Firstly, it seems a bit daft that when I get an email it goes into 'messages' (with texts etc.) and also in the email.... I'm being told twice for the same message. Maybe I just haven't reprogrammed my brain to the Blackberry yet, but I'd like 'messages' to be texts, and email for email. Is there a way to separate?

My new Blackberry life has also thrown up a new daily chore and I can't believe you advanced users would put up with it. I should mention that I don't use browser-based email (gmail etc.) instead having the 'Mail' programme on my Mac synched with the email attached to my website.

Basically, I'm having to delete emails twice - once on my Mac and once on my Berry... this can't be right, can it? Jeez, it's so tedious. I know that when I'm out and about I can delete an email from the mailbox as well as on handheld, but it's a pain when I'm at my computer, deal with the email and then have to delete it again from my Berry. Surely there's a way around this guys and girls?

Thanks in advance for any help - you'll be changing my world!
    06-28-08 05:27 AM
    Love this website!

Welcome to the site

Apologies if these are irritatingly simple questions. I searched the forums but no joy, so I figured there'd be an expert out there with the answer.

No problem that's what the site is for

Firstly, it seems a bit daft that when I get an email it goes into 'messages' (with texts etc.) and also in the email.... I'm being told twice for the same message. Maybe I just haven't reprogrammed my brain to the Blackberry yet, but I'd like 'messages' to be texts, and email for email. Is there a way to separate?

go to messages - press menu key - options - general options - then down to bottom setting "SMS and EMAIL inboxes" - then change from combined to seperate
    My new Blackberry life has also thrown up a new daily chore and I can't believe you advanced users would put up with it. I should mention that I don't use browser-based email (gmail etc.) instead having the 'Mail' programme on my Mac synched with the email attached to my website.

Basically, I'm having to delete emails twice - once on my Mac and once on my Berry... this can't be right, can it? Jeez, it's so tedious. I know that when I'm out and about I can delete an email from the mailbox as well as on handheld, but it's a pain when I'm at my computer, deal with the email and then have to delete it again from my Berry. Surely there's a way around this guys and girls?

mmmmm tricky one not sure, will let somebody else jump in, I use a MAC and am familiar with mail but stopped using it a while ago.....sorry
    Thanks in advance for any help - you'll be changing my world!
    Hope this helps you a little
    06-28-08 05:49 AM
    Go into Messages select the BlackBerry button/menu. Options -> General Options -> SMS and Email. Change this to "Seperate" and it will create a seperate folder on your desktop (you might have to show all icons to unhide it).

If you want a really clean Messages box then you'll also have to adjust call logging (within the phone menu) and Messenger display logging (from within Messenger).

It takes a little while to get it wrapped up just the way you like it. One warning though, some themes will force a certain behavior on you on install and you'll have to reset your settings.

On your later issue.. in the same Messages option editing session go through to the reconciliation and check the settings for 'Handheld wins' or 'Mailbox wins' on conflict. Mess with that. And check your POP/IMAP settings our your computer (since your using Mac Mail I assume you're not using BES) to make sure that your mail client is removing the message from the server too.

It might take some trial-and-error on this front. I've yet to see a consistent answer for this quirk depending on mail server and client used. At least consistent enough for my brain to grok and test.
    06-28-08 05:54 AM
    Thanks for your replies guys. I've made the menu adjustments and yup, now I have the separate SMS on my desktop BUT it's sitting underneath my original problem:

on the left of my home screen there's a list of icons (which probably has a technical term...). The list is:
    Setup Wizard
    SMS and MMS
    Call Log
    Applications

The number in 'messages' and 'email' is the same and that's why I want to get rid of one.

As I'm writing this, I think I see my stupid mistake (and I'm only continuing so someone else might learn from it). I guess this isn't a message/email conflict issue..... (I was thinking emails were being stored twice...) I just don't want both 'messages' and email notifications on my home screen!

Am I right in thinking that 'messages' is everything, all media? If so, that's all I really need on my home screen, right? Is that what you guys have?
    I think I've been a big dummy - please confirm.

I'm gonna respond to other issue separately when i've done a little research.

Thanks guys!!
    06-28-08 06:19 AM
    ...Am I right in thinking that 'messages' is everything, all media? If so, that's all I really need on my home screen, right? Is that what you guys have?...
    You have figured it out. Messages gets everything. That's the only folder you need. However, a lot of people (I'm not one of them) prefer to separate their emails and texts into separate folders. You can do that, but the Messages folder will still get everything sent to it.
    06-28-08 08:10 AM
    Great, thanks Jeff.

Now to my email headache......

To recap:
    my email address goes through Extendcp.com which I check regularly on the Mail programme on my Mac (never on the web interface which is AWFUL!).

My bugbear is that if I'm working on my computer and I get an email then I'll deal with it there and then so I don't want it going to my BB too. I've (hopefully) set up Mac Mail so that when I delete locally it will delete on the server, but in the meantime I need to stop BB from connecting with the server.

To my noob mind all that's needed is a button that turns off email temporarily - so when I know I'm gonna be at my computer for a few hours my BB doesn't access the server. And then when I'm done, I can switch email back on and BB will grab everything left on the server and obviously any new emails that come in.

I can't be the first person to think of this! And I'm hoping there's a really simple solution.... unless if my understanding of how BB, local mail and the mail host works is seriously flawed... which is very possible.
    06-28-08 09:02 AM
    Two big operational differences: you are Mac and Bis, I am PC and BES. So anything I say may not be exactly applicable...but on your blackberry, in Messages/Options/Email Reconciliation, you should have three choices:
    Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    Wireless Reconciliation: On
    On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins

You can't really stop the BB from connecting to the server, so the email will go to both places, but as soon as reconciliation occurs, typically within a minute, if you've deleted it from the server, it will be deleted from the blackberry. At least, that's the way it works in the PC World. And if you haven't figured it out yet, Rim is very much PC-centric.
    06-28-08 09:10 AM
    That makes sense but I've found out the hard way - I've managed to lose all my BB emails in the last 5 mins! Most were unread newsletters so it's not a problem (actually a blessing - it's stressful seeing 96 unread messages every time I look at my phone!).

It's raised an interesting lesson though (and please confirm if I'm wrong):

I'd thought that once an email was on BB it was there until I deleted it but not so... I guess it has to remain on the server to remain on BB! I know this because I configured mac mail so that it "removes copy from server after retrieving a message". I checked 'when removed from inbox' although I'm surprised there wasn't an option like 'when deleted locally' which would make more sense.
    I then clicked 'remove now' just to speed things along which gave this message:

You are about to remove all copies of messages you’ve already downloaded from the POP server for the account “POP Account”. Local copies of these messages will not be affected. Are you sure you want to continue?

"Yes" says I and everything from my server was gone (even though a lot HADN'T been removed from my local inbox which is heaving).
    Now my 'message' folder only shows the emails I sent from BB - and bizarrely doesn't hold any of my SMS (which are still showing over on SMS and MMS) - any idea how this little side-effect occurred? And how to get SMS back on messages?

The more I understand, the less I understand..... Thanks again for all your help.
    Last edited by Steveland; 06-28-08 at 10:10 AM.
    06-28-08 09:52 AM
    ...I'd thought that once an email was on BB it was there until I deleted it but not so... I guess it has to remain on the server to remain on BB! I know this because I configured mac mail so that it "removes copy from server after retrieving a message". I checked 'when removed from inbox' although I'm surprised there wasn't an option like 'when deleted locally' which would make more sense.

...Now my 'message' folder only shows the emails I sent from BB - and bizarrely doesn't hold any of my SMS (which are still showing over on SMS and MMS) - any idea how this little side-effect occurred? And how to get SMS back on messages?

The more I understand, the less I understand..... Thanks again for all your help.

I'd been fi

also lost txts
    "On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins" means that if you delete it from the server, it gets deleted from the Blackberry. I thought that was what you wanted to have happen, so you don't have to delete them in both places.

There may be a second problem relating to your text messages. How much free memory do you have? Options/Status/File Free:?
    06-28-08 10:03 AM
    It is what I want to happen, but I thought that once an email is on my phone it stays there until i delete it. But it's inconsistent - I have a recent email on BB that's I've deleted from server..... which doesn't make sense with 'mailbox wins'...... ah, just noticed something:

On email reconciliation it says Delete on: prompt - does this mean it won't delete from BB until I tell it to? But hold on, I didn't tell it to delete all emails on BB, only the server!?!

Sorry, I'm confused, and my confusion no doubt sounds irritating.....

Re: SMS

File free: 13823137

Which should be fine, right? So how do I get SMS/MMS back in 'messages'?

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Steveland; 06-28-08 at 10:26 AM.
    06-28-08 10:19 AM
    I don't blame you for being confused, and I'm afraid I'm not helping much, since I can't duplicate your setup.

Your file free should be fine, so that's not a problem. I don't know why your SMS messages are no longer in Messages, unless somehow while changing other things, the SMS and Email inboxes setting got changed. Look in Messages/Options/General Options. SMS and Email Inboxes has three choices. I use "Theme Controlled." You can also use "Combined" or "Separate." In my case, "Theme Controlled" give the same result as "Combined."

I would not expect SMS to have been on your email server, regardless.
    06-28-08 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD