I recently ordered an all black housing and was pretty impressed with the quality of the housing.

There were a couple of things that bothered me and according to a few of the post on this section, it bothers other people. The ear hole(Don't know the proper name) doesn't have the little cloth/filter thing that keeps dust from coming into the housing and onto your beloved clean screen!

I put the housing on last night and loved it, until i noticed like 30 minutes later that a little dust had made its way in! GRRRRRRRR my OCD wasn't happy. I went on a search to find an inexpensive fix to my problem and this is what I found.

1. First find a pair of earphones that have the filter(or what ever you want to call it) on them.

These are the ones I used.

2. Now Crack it open and remove the little screen.

3. Now that you have it out, get something to cut it. You have to make it fit the hear hole and have enough screen left to glue it to the housing. Study your hole before you cut it to make sure you know how much you can cut.

In this one I compared how much I cut from the one I used and the one I didn't use.

4. Next, place the cut screen over the hole and decide how it fits best.

5. Once you like what you have, get some super glue and glue the edges of the screen to the housing.

6. Let the screen sit and dry nice and tight over your hole.

See, how cool it looks too!

Once its completely dry, put the housing back on your curve and ENJOY not having dust under your screen!

This thread has its limit of 10 pics, Ill add the final results in the next post!
    Last edited by LifeOfVice; 01-30-09 at 03:24 PM.
    01-30-09 12:04 AM
    01-30-09 12:05 AM
    Nice work. Wow, I thought I was OCD (see my sig?)

I just bought some black fabric from WalMart. I haven't glued it in yet, though you have inspired me.

What about the gap between the keypad and lens/trackball. Did your housing have the thin foam gasket behind the front faceplate?

P.S. you gotta get that trackball ring black buddy. See the link in my sig. for my simple solution to removing the chrome finish from the trim ring.
    01-30-09 12:09 AM
    Nice work. Wow, I thought I was OCD (see my sig?)

I just bought some black fabric from WalMart. I haven't glued it in yet, though you have inspired me.

What about the gap between the keypad and lens/trackball. Did your housing have the thin foam gasket behind the front faceplate?

P.S. you gotta get that trackball ring black buddy. See the link in my sig. for my simple solution to removing the chrome finish from the trim ring.
    Im going to to do it tonight! and no, Dust drives me crazy.

I cant exactly remember if it was on there but when I was comparing the black housing to the original one, I didn't see anything different other than the little screen and an LED plastic cover.

I haven't gotten any dust in there so well see if im gonna have to crack it open again and find a fix for that.
    01-30-09 12:15 AM
    Pretty slick idea though I dont have the stones to do it. I have no dust issue but I do worry about it... Nice job.
    01-30-09 12:57 AM
    Pretty slick idea though I dont have the stones to do it. I have no dust issue but I do worry about it... Nice job.
    After doing the housing change once, its a breeze. and thanks.
    01-30-09 01:01 AM
    Update: Still no dust in screen.

Also, If a mod sees this, Can you please move it to the how to section, I think it will help more people there.
    Last edited by LifeOfVice; 01-30-09 at 03:24 PM.
    01-30-09 11:54 AM
    Update: Still no dust in screen.

Also, If a mod sees this, Can you please move it to the how to section, I think it will help more people there.
    update please, wanna see the effectiveness of doing this mod
    04-27-09 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD