Hi all. I realize this is an age old problem, but my situation may be a little different:

I own a pink Blackberry Curve (8300). Last night, a friend dropped it in water and threw it immediately, then ran to tell me - about a five minute time lapse. I took the battery out and left it that way overnight. I put it back in this morning, and it worked fine all day. Then, about two hours ago, it randomly started going crazy - now, the trackball will move from side to side but NOT let me click on anything. The 'menu' key doesn't work either.

I'm currently trying the device (sans battery) in a bowl of rice thing, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had any similar experiences or advice to offer.

Thanks so much.
    - Stephanie
    05-09-09 10:24 PM
    Yikes, good luck with that!
    05-09-09 10:29 PM
    Whew. Your in a bad sitcuation there. I'm sorry to hear about your berry mishap. That's why I don't let people including family hold my blackberry. Good luck. Hope you get it taken care o. Let us know how it goes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-09-09 10:33 PM
    Ive heard of the rice thing working but not sure how well it will do a day later, it sounds like the damage is already done.

Ive also heard of soaking it in a liquid silicon fluid (not sure exactly what that is) but i think i remember if you hold a can of wd-40 upside down and empty the air out untill there is only liquid left then ---make sure the air is all out no pressure left in--- punch a hole in the can and empty the liquid out and soak the device in it)
    The wd-40 has an oder so i would try to find out what the liquid silicon stuff was first.
    like i said the damage may already be done and if you have the insurrance on it that may be your best hope.

do some reading before you try something drastic.
    05-09-09 10:50 PM
    Ive heard of the rice thing working but not sure how well it will do a day later, it sounds like the damage is already done.

Ive also heard of soaking it in a liquid silicon fluid (not sure exactly what that is) but i think i remember if you hold a can of wd-40 upside down and empty the air out untill there is only liquid left then ---make sure the air is all out no pressure left in--- punch a hole in the can and empty the liquid out and soak the device in it)
    The wd-40 has an oder so i would try to find out what the liquid silicon stuff was first.
    like i said the damage may already be done and if you have the insurrance on it that may be your best hope.

Rubbing alcohol is the best.
    05-09-09 10:56 PM
    Man that's why I got insurance on my 8900 can't imagine what I would do.

05-09-09 11:35 PM
    No homo but if you take the battery out and lean it against something and blast it with a hair dryer it should be fine. Under the back cover for like 20 or so minutes. Its worked for me all the times i get mine soaked. Never tried the rice thing yet though. Good Luck.
    05-09-09 11:37 PM
    There are a lot of times where the rice thing works temporarily but what people don't understand is the corrosion process has already started. Then one day out of the blue it starts screwing up likw what your describing here. It is very unfortunate that this happened, good luck!
    05-09-09 11:39 PM
    yeah, the rice thing only works in a certain time frame, otherwise it's a worthless fix. sorry to hear
    05-09-09 11:49 PM
    once it has water in it, it is pretty much fried
    05-09-09 11:55 PM
    Something very similar happened to me yesterday. I went swimming in my friend pool in my boxers and then just put my pants back on after wards, my pants got a little damp and a few hours later i noticed the back light flickering and the black light wouldn't turn off all the way when my berry went in stand-by, then my berry wouldn't let me scroll up or down and the cursor was randomly moving side to side. I took the battery out for the night and everything is almost back to normal.

The problem I am having now is I have to press very hard on the pearl to get it to click on anything. I've tried cleaning it. I'm not sure what to do any help would be awesome.
    05-09-09 11:59 PM

I don't think that WD40 is silicone based. It is petroleum based. You can buy cans of spray silicone lubricant and they are just called silicone spray (they don't smell as strong). The WD40 may work, however, because it was designed to be a water displacer (the WD part of the name) and it is non-conductive. The WD40 may be better if you do it immediately after water immersion to prevent corrosion. I don't know what it will do after the fact.

*IMPORTANT - because WD40 is petroleum based, it may react badly with some of the plastics in the Berry.

05-10-09 08:57 AM
    I don't think that WD40 is silicone based. It is petroleum based. You can buy cans of spray silicone lubricant and they are just called silicone spray (they don't smell as strong). The WD40 may work, however, because it was designed to be a water displacer (the WD part of the name) and it is non-conductive. The WD40 may be better if you do it immediately after water immersion to prevent corrosion. I don't know what it will do after the fact.

*IMPORTANT - because WD40 is petroleum based, it may react badly with some of the plastics in the Berry.

I was thinking the same thing.
    05-10-09 10:15 AM
    I'm terrified of this happening to me!

Good luck OP... let us know if anything works...
    05-10-09 11:00 AM
    Hi all. I realize this is an age old problem, but my situation may be a little different:

I own a pink Blackberry Curve (8300). Last night, a friend dropped it in water and threw it immediately, then ran to tell me - about a five minute time lapse. I took the battery out and left it that way overnight. I put it back in this morning, and it worked fine all day. Then, about two hours ago, it randomly started going crazy - now, the trackball will move from side to side but NOT let me click on anything. The 'menu' key doesn't work either.

I'm currently trying the device (sans battery) in a bowl of rice thing, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had any similar experiences or advice to offer.

Thanks so much.
    - Stephanie
    your problem is that you tried to use it without drying it completely
    leaving it overnight doesnt really remove any moisture
    your first move should have been battery out and into rice for at least a day then a few blasts with a hairdryer..then inserting the battery and crossing your fingers
    05-10-09 11:06 AM
    I used a hair dryer immediately...the rice thing I heard is good but ultimately....SHE OWES YOU A NEW ONE!
    05-10-09 11:07 AM
    If the rice doesn't work, I hope that you aren't the one to pay for a new one.
    05-10-09 03:06 PM
    Hey all -
    My BBCurve has bit the bullet. I DO have insurance though, so my friend paid the $50 and my new one will arrive Tuesday. Thankfully, I made sure to do a backup and it worked so I won't lose anything.
    I guess my next question is: do I just have to connect the new BB to my computer and then click 'Restore'? If so, once I do that, are all my applications, contacts, etc. uploaded onto my new BB?
    Thank you all for being so helpful. Really. I appreciate it wholeheartedly.
    =)
    - Steph
    05-10-09 07:46 PM
    Hey all -
    My BBCurve has bit the bullet. I DO have insurance though, so my friend paid the $50 and my new one will arrive Tuesday. Thankfully, I made sure to do a backup and it worked so I won't lose anything.
    I guess my next question is: do I just have to connect the new BB to my computer and then click 'Restore'? If so, once I do that, are all my applications, contacts, etc. uploaded onto my new BB?
    Thank you all for being so helpful. Really. I appreciate it wholeheartedly.
    =)
    - Steph
    basically yes
    open desktop manager and backup and restore and so on
    05-10-09 07:50 PM
    prime example why no one touches my berry
    05-11-09 12:09 AM
    Do the 3rd party backup as well, or you might not get your 3rd party apps and themes back from the restore:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/upda...updated-53201/

05-11-09 12:31 AM
    I actually dropped my pearl in a glass of lemonade then took out the battery and stuck it in a sock and into the dryer on gentle dry...worked fine till I went swimming with it...:::shrugs:::.. one bath too many lol
    05-11-09 12:42 AM
    I took mine apart and submerged it in rubbing alcohol then placed it on the heater on warm overnight. Worked perfeclty and yes, it was screwed for days prior as I had drenched it in beer.
    The rubbing alcohol displaces the water and evaporates easier.

05-11-09 01:58 AM
    Lawd have mercy on these horror stories. I dropped a phone in water years ago and another got wet in the rain, I just took the battery out and let the phone dry out for 2 days. My coworker dropped his pearl in the dangblasted urinal and I told him to do the same and it works fine. I'm very picky on who uses my phone and who just wants to look at it. Ill stop and watch them with my phone and limit their use, if any at all. If anything happens to my property, I'd rather it be my fault than someone elses who may try to dispute whether the damage is their fault or not. I'm very careful with others belongings but that may not always be the case for some one else with your items. Beer? Lmfao

05-11-09 08:08 AM
    I was at a party last weekend where I had my BB Pearl in my back pocket of my jeans. Thinking it was fine as I was standing I proceeded to "party" like the rest of the guests. I guess I wasn't as intoxicated as another person who proceeded to pour a beer into my pocket - yes the same pocket holding my BB.

Immediately I took it out - ran inside, took it apart and let it sit on a cable box. Once I borrowed a friends phone to call a cab ride home (kind of a party buzz kill) I followed the rice trick. I put both the battery and the phone inside two separate unsealed bags of rice and placed those rice bags on top of my router (an apple time capsule which is prone to run hot). I put in the battery in the morning after about 10 hours of "ricing" and it seems to work ok now. There are water streaks/marks on the screen but barely noticeable unless the screen is white (like when sending sms,etc). The only issues I am having is a bit of a sticky trackball (doesn't scroll down as fast as up but I think that's just a personal issue that has always been present which I just haven't noticed before as I normally scroll down with more force then up).

Does anyone know if I should talk to this "friend" and get money from him for a replacement phone? It is working fine now - although I use the term now loosely. I have heard that once it gets wet it will almost always get ****ed up not long after. What should I do? Get the $300 from him for a new phone? And no, I'm not worried about loosing our friendship over this.
    05-13-09 11:31 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD