Hi gang. I'm just getting used to this 8310 Curve. Anyway, I decided to rearrange some apps and pulled the apps in the Applications folder out to the main page, then deleted the Applications folder. Ever since then any app I download doesn't show up anywhere. I tried recreating a folder named applications, and re-downloading viigo, but that didn't work. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    02-24-09 03:35 PM
    Could depend on the theme your using.

Also no matter if you create a folder and remove it, doesn't mean the applications are not there. Have you check to see if they are in the application list under options? Or hit menu and select show all, make sure they are not hidden?

Seems very very odd, but we will figure it out.
    02-24-09 03:50 PM
    Try doing a battery pull. I've noticed that sometimes after downloading an app that it takes a restart to gain full use of it. When I downloaded the CB launcher, I didn't do it immediately, but I had to reset after deleting an app, and when it came back up, I noticed a change to the icon that wasn't there before, as well as a section for it under the options menu.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 03:52 PM
    Hi gang. I'm just getting used to this 8310 Curve. Anyway, I decided to rearrange some apps and pulled the apps in the Applications folder out to the main page, then deleted the Applications folder. Ever since then any app I download doesn't show up anywhere. I tried recreating a folder named applications, and re-downloading viigo, but that didn't work. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    I'm sorry that you are having such problems. First of all I would try a battery pull. You take the battery out while the phone is on and leave it out about 30 seconds and then put it back into your phone. That may help resolve the problem.

Other than that I think you may need to reinstall the applications using your DM on your pc. Somehow deleting the applications folder has caused some kind of error. Although that is very rare. I would think a battery pull would solve the issue.

I highly suggest that you read the 101 Lecture series at the link in my sig as you will get to know your BB much better.

If and that is a big IF you need to add your applications back onto your phone, I highly suggest downloading DM 4.6 from Blackberry on your computer and the newest Operating System to your PC and then using CrackMem (also in my sig) so that you can keep what you want and get rid of the rest.

Keep us updated please. Welcome to Crackberry!

~Jazzi~

02-24-09 03:53 PM
    What theme did you delete the applications folder on? A stock theme or one you downloaded?
    I would change themes and then try to download and app to see what happens, if it works can the theme you deleted the app folder with (if its a custom theme) and then redownload it, this might not work since they sort of remember icon placement etc from before. I am not certain how to clear that memory part (easily)
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-24-09 at 04:09 PM.
    02-24-09 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just did the battery pull and no luck. It does show in the applications list and the last time I downloaded it I chose to run it, and it ran ok, but ofcourse now it's invisible. Speaking of which, I picked "Show All" to male sure it wasn't hidden or something.

Update: I switched to the Zen theme and the icon shows up, but when I go back to the AT&T theme, it's nowhere to be found. Are Blackberries this buggy normally? I'm definately thinking the iPhone was the way I should have gone.
    Last edited by Daveydave; 02-24-09 at 04:44 PM.
    02-24-09 04:12 PM
    Daveydave.... This is my 1st Blackberry ever! I had the hardest time getting use to the way Blackberry's are compared to all my other cells. But I can say now & thanks to all here, I would never go back. It's a all new way IMO.
    02-24-09 05:09 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Just did the battery pull and no luck. It does show in the applications list and the last time I downloaded it I chose to run it, and it ran ok, but ofcourse now it's invisible. Speaking of which, I picked "Show All" to male sure it wasn't hidden or something.

Update: I switched to the Zen theme and the icon shows up, but when I go back to the AT&T theme, it's nowhere to be found. Are Blackberries this buggy normally? I'm definately thinking the iPhone was the way I should have gone.
    Its not a matter of being buggy, its certain themes have certain icons. If you had not taken the icons out of the folder and deleted the folder on the AT&T theme, you wouldn't have these problems. You can fix it if you want to replace the themes through your DM.

If you think the iPhone is so great, check this link HERE

~Jazzi~
    Last edited by Jazzi-Rocks; 02-24-09 at 05:24 PM.
    02-24-09 05:21 PM
    [COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Century Gothic][B]Its not a matter of being buggy, its certain themes have certain icons. If you had not taken the icons out of the folder and deleted the folder on the AT&T theme, you wouldn't have these problems. You can fix it if you want to replace the themes through
    I don't think I explained what happened well enough. I thought it was dumb that the apps I use most were in a folder, so I moved them a level up. Now I had an empty "Applications" folder taking up space, so I deleted it. Apparently on the AT&T theme, that is the download folder for OTA apps or something. Seems a "theme" has too much control if that's the case. I'm out of town until Friday, so I guess I can't fix this until then.

Oh, and the link you posted isn't very convincing. Some guy can't hold on to his cell phones? Sorry, I figured it'd be a useability comparison. I'm trying to like the blackberry, but so far it seems very clunky. It's certainly better than some nokia phone, but my iPod touch is running circles around the email client, browser, rss reader (viigo), calendar, and address book. Is there a newer bb I'd than 4.5 for the curve? Maybe I need to upgrade?
    02-24-09 05:53 PM
    If you think the 8310 is clunky.......I don't think that you are going to find a different BB that is less so. The BB Storm is very similar to the iPhone from what I have heard. You can check the BB site for actual comparisons HERE. That link has the specs on the BB smartphones and you can compare them. I don't know or am particularly interested in attempting to find a site that compares the iTouch to a BB. I'm sure with some searching you could find one.

It depends on what your particular needs and wants are. Blackberry users generally use it as a tool AND a phone. There is a lot that can be done with a Blackberry and it is just of late that they have moved from the business only aspect to becoming more consumer friendly.

Everyone has their own opinions, I'm sure you can find tons of forums that say the iPhone or iTouch is the best. I guess it really boils down to what you need and want in a smartphone. To many of us the iPhone and iTouch is more like a toy than a tool. It all boils down to what you want and need from your device.

We have had people here on the forum that have wanted us to convince them to get a BB. I don't go there, its everyone's choice. I try to help people that are having problems with their BBs. That's what I do.

I hope there are no hard feelings as I never mean any harm. I spend my time on this forum trying to help people because without this forum my BB would have been a brick twice already.

~Jazzi~
    02-24-09 06:06 PM
    No worries, just frustrated by the OS a little. As it turns out, in the themes area you can select "reset" from the menu to reset the highlighted theme. That put everything back to the original. Now I'll keep the applications folder I guess. :-)
    02-24-09 07:59 PM
    No worries, just frustrated by the OS a little. As it turns out, in the themes area you can select "reset" from the menu to reset the highlighted theme. That put everything back to the original. Now I'll keep the applications folder I guess. :-)
    Thanks, now I have another nugget of knowledge to help others with. BTW you may want to check out the 101 Lecture Series linked in my sig if you want to really get to know your BB really well. It takes some time, however there is so much to learn about this tool. I'm glad you figured it out

~Jazzi~

02-24-09 08:03 PM
    Now I feel foolish for not remembering there was a reset on the theme screen lol, I had NEVER used it and honestly never knew what it did other than the duh....obvious, you have taught me something today and for that I thank you.....
    02-24-09 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD