I am new to CB here.
    I ♥ using YIM and I downloaded the YIM version that came with my BB. I am wondering, if and when I send an IM and when I receive an IM; does that count towards my text count?

I am sorry if there was a thread about this already but I could not find anything. If there is a thread could ya link me please?

Thanks yall!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 11:59 PM
    No, it's data.
    04-20-09 12:07 AM
    So it doesn't matter who I have for my cell company?

Last edited by jayme07; 04-20-09 at 12:24 AM.
    04-20-09 12:21 AM
    Nope. It's part of the BB data plan. You are connected by BIS (Blackberry Internet Service). By the way, I love the way you used a heart instead of the word love. It's cute.
    04-20-09 12:30 AM
    That's good to know its part of the data plan! I'm an avid user of YIM. Haha.
    As for the ♥, once I found out I could use it and it would show up I saved it as an auto-text!

Last edited by jayme07; 04-20-09 at 12:48 AM.
    04-20-09 12:45 AM
    yahoo instant messenger does count as a text the only thing that dont count as a text is blackberry messenger ive asked over and over again at verizon and this is what they tell me every time
    04-23-09 02:18 AM
    If you download the Mobile IM program (which includes AIM, YIM,MSN) from the VZW apps, messages are billed as text.

If you download YIM, AIM, MSN, Google Talk, etc from the BlackBerry apps, the messages are billed as data.

i don't think too many folks use VZWs Mobile IM application anymore. That's the program with 3-in-1.

04-23-09 02:25 AM
    yahoo instant messenger does count as a text the only thing that dont count as a text is blackberry messenger ive asked over and over again at verizon and this is what they tell me every time
    This is incorrect. All IM apps are data. There are one or two clients
    (OZ Messenger for instance) but again, the standalone apps do not use SMS.
    04-23-09 02:28 AM
    I could be true for Verizon, sounds like a stretch.

But I specifically asked Sprint about this when I first got my BB. All IMs, be it MSN, Yahoo, Blackberry, whatever. They are all data.
    04-23-09 07:03 AM

Ok. Well thanks for all your input everyone!

04-23-09 01:53 PM
    Sorry but you are incorrect. We do charge IM's as text. BlackBerry PIN messages are the only one free. (Hint: I work for Verizon.)
    As i stated above it depends which IM program is being used.

the ONLY app that bills as sms is the VZW Mobile IM app.

the blackberry IM apps are billed as data.
    04-23-09 03:57 PM
    Let me get this straight. If I d/L the YIM app that came with my BB, does that use sms? Or data?

Thnx

04-23-09 05:45 PM
    Yahoo Messenger uses DATA. It's only Verizon where there's an issue. And even that is not a Yahoo version.
    04-23-09 08:31 PM

Ok. Thanks!!

04-23-09 09:35 PM
    This is incorrect. All IM apps are data. There are one or two clients
    (OZ Messenger for instance) but again, the standalone apps do not use SMS.
    i have asked verizon this question again and once agian they told me that yahoo messenger and aim do count as text messages i told them ive heard different and they said where ever im getting that info from is wrong
    04-24-09 06:18 PM
    i have asked verizon this question again and once agian they told me that yahoo messenger and aim do count as text messages i told them ive heard different and they said where ever im getting that info from is wrong
    ONLY IF THEY ARE THROUGH SMS ARE THEY CHARGED AS SMS.

now, if it is a genuine im client that does not go through sms, it is considered data.
    cs reps are worong occasionally
    sometimes it just doesnt matter what cs reps or cs reps on this site tell you.
    04-24-09 06:24 PM
    T-Mobile charges IM messages as text ...so I stopped using IM and just plain text or bb message my people because it works just as well for me--I know that's not true for everyone but we have three people sharing our text plan. Admittedly I have no idea how Sprint and Verizon handle this but thought I'd share what I know .
    04-25-09 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD