I just got the verizon 8330 curve and dont know much about it! Is there a way to set it up for wifi? I cant figure it out!
    08-05-08 11:33 AM
    No, no and no

Only xx20 devices have WiFi
    08-05-08 11:34 AM
    Why would you need wifi with a verizon Blackberry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 12:19 PM
    Why would you need wifi with a verizon Blackberry

Why not??

Why would you need it with any carrier? If Verizon implemented something remotely similar to TMobile and adopted UMA calling, then I do not see why anyone would not want WiFi
    08-05-08 12:22 PM
    bm i've seen everyone talking about uma and i know how much knowledge you have
    what are the benefits of uma exactly
    08-05-08 12:29 PM
    wifi is worthless if you have a data plan (which i dont see why you wouldnt if you have a BB), even uma is worthless
    08-05-08 12:34 PM
    bm i've seen everyone talking about uma and i know how much knowledge you have
    what are the benefits of uma exactly
    The benefits of UMA are pricless, in my opinion

1) The ability to place calls from anywhere with a WiFi network you are able to connect to (great if you do not get signal in a part of your home or office)

2) Not only does UMA allow calls over WiFi, it allows a data connection. This means it acts just like an EDGE connection. You can SMS, MMS, email, BBM, place calls... all over UMA. Unlicensce Mobile Access is an alternative way to connect to your mobile network, providing the same functionality as if you were on EDGE. Your minutes are still used, data works the same, etc.

3) I notice a small speed increase when transmitting messages over WiFi (UMA)

4) The big thing is the addon TMobile offers called Hostpot@Home (recently renamed to something different). This addon to your line is only $10 and make all alls over UMA absolutely FREE!! This is a great advantage because many people have WiFi at home, the office, friends houses, coffee shops, libraries, train stations, air ports, hotels... the list goes on!! This means that any WiFi network you can connect to and make calls over UMA is FREE!! (unlimited!!)

5) No difference in call quality and seamless switching between UMA and EDGE if you leave a WiFi hotspot or enter one of your preferred hotspots part way through a call
    08-05-08 12:39 PM
    and the benefit was? lol if you dont get service in your own house its time to switch carriers, if you do actually drop service when your out of your house, i doubt theres gonna be a wifi connection around to connect to, if there is, its most likely password protected, i had wifi on one of my phones and it was useless and pointless, never used it
    08-05-08 12:48 PM
    and the benefit was? lol if you dont get service in your own house its time to switch carriers, if you do actually drop service when your out of your house, i doubt theres gonna be a wifi connection around to connect to, if there is, its most likely password protected, i had wifi on one of my phones and it was useless and pointless, never used it
    I see where you are coming from, but still disagree...

The UMA is extremely useful! I get great signal on my device in my home, but that is not the point here. Someone asked me to mention all of the benefits and I did. Also, UMA in combo with TMobile's addon gives you unlimited calling over WiFi. This is a great feature because it is a cheap cheap way to expand your voice package

Take it for what it is worth
    08-05-08 12:50 PM
    thank you for clearing that up I'm actually thinking about switching I've heard a ton of good stuff about tmobile and that def sounds like it would benefit me a whole lot more.
    08-05-08 12:51 PM
    thank you for clearing that up I'm actually thinking about switching I've heard a ton of good stuff about tmobile and that def sounds like it would benefit me a whole lot more.
    Glad I could help
    08-05-08 12:54 PM
    and the benefit was? lol if you dont get service in your own house its time to switch carriers,
    Tee hee......

Unless you live in an ancient farm house with a Tin Roof and Aluminum siding with Sheet Metal shutters on the windows and Sheet Metal awnings.

I live in a friggin Faraday cage.............On the upside, I am not pestered with those pesky radio stations that my stereo is always trying to pick up and play for me.......
    08-05-08 02:18 PM
    No, no and no

Only xx20 devices have WiFi
    Verizon is a greedy ***** <-- something that rhymes with "shore"
    08-05-08 02:19 PM
    The benefits of UMA are pricless, in my opinion

1) The ability to place calls from anywhere with a WiFi network you are able to connect to (great if you do not get signal in a part of your home or office)

2) Not only does UMA allow calls over WiFi, it allows a data connection. This means it acts just like an EDGE connection. You can SMS, MMS, email, BBM, place calls... all over UMA. Unlicensce Mobile Access is an alternative way to connect to your mobile network, providing the same functionality as if you were on EDGE. Your minutes are still used, data works the same, etc.

3) I notice a small speed increase when transmitting messages over WiFi (UMA)

4) The big thing is the addon TMobile offers called Hostpot@Home (recently renamed to something different). This addon to your line is only $10 and make all alls over UMA absolutely FREE!! This is a great advantage because many people have WiFi at home, the office, friends houses, coffee shops, libraries, train stations, air ports, hotels... the list goes on!! This means that any WiFi network you can connect to and make calls over UMA is FREE!! (unlimited!!)

5) No difference in call quality and seamless switching between UMA and EDGE if you leave a WiFi hotspot or enter one of your preferred hotspots part way through a call
    6) UMA access is universal. If you travel internationaly, UMA provides unlimited calling back to your home country.

Compared with international roaming rates, the savings are huge.
    08-05-08 02:31 PM

The UMA is extremely useful! I get great signal on my device in my home, but that is not the point here. Someone asked me to mention all of the benefits and I did. Also, UMA in combo with TMobile's addon gives you unlimited calling over WiFi. This is a great feature because it is a cheap cheap way to expand your voice package

or just switch to sprint and get the simply everything plan, then you wont have to make all your calls from your house LOL
    08-05-08 03:13 PM
    or just switch to sprint and get the simply everything plan, then you wont have to make all your calls from your house LOL

lol

you are feisty today gurl!

i like UMA, helps me when my signal is low
    08-05-08 03:17 PM
    You can get unlimited everything with TMobile as well, but it is kind of pointless when the majority of the time you are home, in the office, or somewhere with WiFi.

I would much rather spend $60 for Minutes and Mail plan (unlimited data, unlimited text, email, 1000 minutes) then add on the $10 unlimited UMA

That is essentially unlimited in my books... because the only time you will tap into the 1000 minutes is when you are "on the go" or out...

And, honestly, that is all I would ever need. Most of the time when I am out, I communicate through SMS, email, etc... and the 1000 minutes covers my calling!
    08-05-08 03:20 PM

I agree. I find WIFI FABULOUS investment. lets not forget the plus of getting the @home not only gives you a free HOUSE PHONE with unlimited calling but free minutes on your wifi cell phones. all for $10 It seriuosly pays for itself if you can do without fax. Just switch to efax.
    Also if you just can't do without a phone fax get the Hotspot talk forever for $10 and pretty much get it all except a HOME PHONE.
    08-05-08 03:21 PM
    I have a family plan of 700 min ($60) between two phones, unlimited texting for both phones($20), and the $20 bb addon for my phone only. Plus insurance, and whatever paid content we use for the month.

When I talked to a tmobile customer service they told me with the $20 bb data add-on I would get free UMA calling over wifi.

So I get free minutes at home(wifi), work(wifi), free nights and weekends. I haven't used any minutes on my phone from that 700 yet and my minutes started over the 28th. Which means, my girl has more minutes to use. Hah. Wifi ftw!

08-05-08 03:32 PM
    I agree. I find WIFI FABULOUS investment. lets not forget the plus of getting the @home not only gives you a free HOUSE PHONE with unlimited calling but free minutes on your wifi cell phones. all for $10 It seriuosly pays for itself if you can do without fax. Just switch to efax.
    Also if you just can't do without a phone fax get the Hotspot talk forever for $10 and pretty much get it all except a HOME PHONE.
    I have a family plan of 700 min ($60) between two phones, unlimited texting for both phones($20), and the $20 bb addon for my phone only. Plus insurance, and whatever paid content we use for the month.

When I talked to a tmobile customer service they told me with the $20 bb data add-on I would get free UMA calling over wifi.

So I get free minutes at home(wifi), work(wifi), free nights and weekends. I haven't used any minutes on my phone from that 700 yet and my minutes started over the 28th. Which means, my girl has more minutes to use. Hah. Wifi ftw!

*Woah*

I agree with both of you that UMA is a great feature, but I think there may be some misunderstanding going on!!

First of all, I have the TMobile@Home service (which is for the VoIP landline phone, $10/month). This addon only covers the VoIP home line. Although the @Home HiPort includes a WiFi base station that your device can connect to, you still need to have the Hotspot@Home feature (I think they call it "Talk Forever" or something now that @Home came out) to make UMA calls free!!

Free UMA calls over WiFi is not included with the TMobile@Home service or with the TMobile BlackBerry data plan! I just wanted to clear up the confusion...
    08-05-08 03:36 PM
    *Woah*

I agree with both of you that UMA is a great feature, but I think there may be some misunderstanding going on!!

First of all, I have the TMobile@Home service (which is for the VoIP landline phone, $10/month). This addon only covers the VoIP home line. Although the @Home HiPort includes a WiFi base station that your device can connect to, you still need to have the Hotspot@Home feature (I think they call it "Talk Forever" or something now that @Home came out) to make UMA calls free!!

Free UMA calls over WiFi is not included with the TMobile@Home service or with the TMobile BlackBerry data plan! I just wanted to clear up the confusion...
    HMMM well it's free on mine and tmobile also will tell you it's free to do wifi calls on your wifi phone using the @HOME. The way it was explained to me was my wifi cell phone is linked up(however the know I have no idea how it is done) to my @home service and NOT any old wifi service. So far this has been true for me.
    08-05-08 03:43 PM
    Individual T-Mobile @Home� Plans
    All Plans
    T-Mobile @Home� provides you unlimited nationwide calling at home over Wi-Fi from your home telephone. Just plug in your home phone line to a T-Mobile @Home� HiPortTM wireless router for home phones, and you’re good to go. Even at home, you’ll get great coverage with T-Mobile @Home�.

Note: *For T-Mobile @Home�, a wireless rate plan through T-Mobile is required. Prices are exclusive to T-Mobile.com and valid only with new service activation.
    Unlimited nationwide calling at home over Wi-Fi...

BM has the service, so he is in the best position to tell us just what this means.

I assume, unlimited nationwide means free communications. You are paying for the IP hosting.

08-05-08 03:54 PM
    Well I just emailed Tmobile so I will have an ANSWER in WRITING so i don't have to plead with them saying a REP told me otherwise and swore to it. OK 3 reps on the customer service and BBline they have told me

I'll let you know if and what they reply.
    08-05-08 04:07 PM
    lol

you are feisty today gurl!

i like UMA, helps me when my signal is low

lol im just giving bmcc a hard time, he knows im only kidding, but hes falling into my trap LOL
    08-05-08 05:12 PM
    lol im just giving bmcc a hard time, he knows im only kidding, but hes falling into my trap LOL
    yeah yeah... I know you are

Go and play with that Bold and stop bugging me!!
    08-05-08 05:15 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD