When I flick my metal piece to "lock" the sim card, it never does that. It seems that it can't lock even without a sim card because I can easily lift up that metal piece after I slide it to the lock position. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I'm just nit picking
    10-25-08 09:38 PM
    i had this problem all the time when i had at&t. The metal always loosened. i just folded up a small piece of paper and stuck it under the batter to press the SIM down kinda cheesy but it worked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-08 09:40 PM
    well i just put the battery over it, since the metal comes up at like 10 degrees or something, so wit the battery over it theres nothing wrong i gues
    10-25-08 09:50 PM
    Then you're fine. You can buy a replacement metal piece, i think. Search the forum if you need that.

The metal tab that holds my media card in place seems flimsy but it works fine.

10-25-08 09:58 PM
    what would at&t have to do with the construction of your phone?
    10-25-08 10:06 PM
    AT&T uses SIM cards. VZW does not. i only had this issue when i had a SIM card. Phone would say "insert SIM" a lot.

10-25-08 10:09 PM
    sometimes that means there is a problem with the sim card, not the seating piece
    10-25-08 10:40 PM
    True. It was always the SIM not making contact for me. But could be a fried SIM in other cases.

i don't think the OP is having any such issues so that is a good thing!

10-25-08 10:42 PM
    good point. it is probably the sim hatch thingy
    10-25-08 10:48 PM
    yea that metal piece doesnt latch on that well to the part where it is suppose to lock it i guess, i would squeeze it together to make it tighter but dont want to end up breaking it
    10-25-08 11:53 PM
    My SIM card hatch has never locked...when I bought my BB I pointed it out to the sales woman and she said "none of them work- it's just the way it is" and pulled out hers to prove it. My battery holds it down, but that's why use Soft reset a lot and not battery pulls unless necessary- I've had my SIM card fly out in class before.
    10-26-08 02:49 PM
    Mine works
    10-26-08 02:59 PM
    Insert the SIM card and battery
    Your SIM card is a small rectangular plastic card that stores important information
    about your wireless service. Your SIM card might already be inserted in your
    BlackBerry� device.
    1. Press the battery cover release button.
    2. Slide off the battery cover.
    3. If the battery is inserted, remove the battery.
    4. If your SIM card is already inserted, proceed to step 11.
    5. Slide the SIM card holder door toward its hinges to unlock it.
    6. Open the SIM card holder door.
    7. Remove the SIM card from any packaging.
    8. Place the SIM card into the holder so that the metal contacts on the SIM card face down and the cutoff corner of the SIM card points toward the top of your device.
    9. Close the SIM card holder door so that it holds the SIM card flat.
    10. Slide the SIM card holder door away from its hinges to lock it.
    11. Insert the battery so that the BlackBerry logo faces up and the metal contacts on the battery align with the metal contacts on your device.
    The SIM card locking mechanism is not intuitive. The trick is to slide the cover away from the hinge.

It is stiff, but it does lock securely.
    10-26-08 03:22 PM
    yes i do slide it, hence why i brought this thread up, it still no locks
    10-26-08 03:59 PM
    yes i do slide it, hence why i brought this thread up, it still no locks
    This occurs in all kinds of GSM model phones. Suggestions above will help, paper is common or find a replaceent piece.
    10-26-08 04:02 PM
    I have sprint, but I have a lot of difficulty removing my media card and it uses a similar little hatch.

10-26-08 04:30 PM
    Never had this problem on any phone. And I have had a LOT of phones! Some are very stiff, are you certain you are pushing it into the fully locked position? It will click, no click and it is not locked!

10-26-08 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD