I prolly will. Ya date a girl for 3 years and you rly get to love each other. Money doesn't matter to me. Its what makes them happy in which makes me feel happy. whether it b items, or feelings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-08 10:15 PM
    Verizon Wireless has very sternly told me on several seperate occasions that you CANNOT have a BlackBerry active on your account without a BIS or BES data plan , regardless of where the phone was aquired. And no, pay per use data is NOT an option , I have tried many times.
    07-14-08 11:50 PM
    I just got back from my store....Verizon is very strict on the matter. They really know how to lock you into their service. You can't have a BB at all unless it is run through one of their data plans. What a joke...Their goes all my fun and excitment for getting my girlfriend one......
    07-15-08 09:08 AM
    I think it's easier to activate a BlackBerry with no data plan on GSM carriers. Just try to avoid telling them the phone is a BB.
    07-15-08 09:45 AM
    I talked her into an enV2 for now. She is depressed. Oh well, can't be helped at times. Thanks for all the help!
    07-15-08 11:55 AM
    With CDMA and no Sim card it is impossible for Verizon not to know it is a BlackBerry. The second they activate the ESN/MEID they will know it is a BlackBerry.

If LeinGod really loves this girl he will take a bullet for her and let her have the Berry and take the Env for himself.................. NO wait , that would be complete insanity.
    07-15-08 01:04 PM
    I could live with an enV if need be. Work would be **** without my BB but it would be possible. Just communication suicide for a few months. I might just end up paying for her monthly data plan. She wants 1 and I want her to have 1.
    07-15-08 01:20 PM
    Now that I finally forced myself to get a BlackBerry with the data plan , only $23 a month with discount , I could not imagine having a BlackBerry without it!

Its one of those things that once you you have it you can never live without it again. I guess thats the definition of "CrackBerry".
    07-15-08 01:39 PM
    alltel and verizon require data plans for their smartphones. tmo u can add it on and get rid of it as u please. diff carriers have diff rules
    07-15-08 01:44 PM
    also with at&t you have to initialy sign up for a data plan when first activating but you can cancel it after the 1st month
    07-15-08 09:17 PM
    just dont see why anyone would want a BB with out data.
    07-15-08 09:18 PM
    I have at&t and when i bought my phone I knew i was not going to be getting the data plan just didnt feel like ti was necessary at the time maybe later on but not now.

Anyway the women on the phone hassled me to buy the data plan for the rebate or w/e but I n ever got it so as much as they want to beat you down to get that extra 30$ a month out of you you CAN say no just be persistent and dont give in to their tricks

So yes you can buy a BB without buying the data plan with it
    07-15-08 09:24 PM

So yes you can buy a BB without buying the data plan with it
    Not exactly...with AT&T you can but with Verizon, you cannot.
    07-15-08 10:46 PM
    Not exactly...with AT&T you can but with Verizon, you cannot.
    Thank You , I am glad to see somebody else is paying attention.

The fact that anybody got their ATT Curve without a data plan does nothing to help the OP because.......he is VERIZON.
    07-15-08 11:16 PM
    I'm not sure about your carrier requiring you to have the data plan but with att we are not required to have one. I would really call and speak to someone in customer service.
    07-15-08 11:25 PM
    No real need for the OP to call anyone. It has been well
    established in this thread that if he / she goes with VZW a
    data plan will be required.
    07-15-08 11:34 PM
    I am going to keep saying this:

If the person likes the features, form factor, etc of the phone
    GET IT. Even without data the BB is still a perfectly acceptable
    phone. This you MUST have data crap really needs to stop.

We are not paying anyone else's bill, so how about letting
    them decide what they do or do not need on their phone.

Thanks for all the help. And yes, its for my girlfriend. She wants it more for the "looks" and "style" then the power or performance of it. I'm still explaining what a battery pull does. and since its verizon, $99 isn't to bad of a price for a phone that u kno is rather perfect.

The reason everybody is touting a data package is a "Must have" because thats what the blackberry is......It was designed to be everything it is. A Blackberry is one of the more expensive phones out there, so these people feel if your not using it to the full extent than your not getting your moneys worth....and if your looking for just a phone...there are plenty of cheaper options out there......kind of like this scenario.......why pay 200 bucks for something when you can pay 50-100 and it do the same thing?

However if 99 bucks is the price of a blackberry with verizon than I suppose that this wouldn't apply as thats the average price for phones with a 2 year contract anyways.
    07-16-08 12:36 AM
    Okay, and I don't want to get this off track again, that is just not true.
    My Curve cost me all of $65. Not exactly an expensive phone.

And regardless of the "oh you don't have a data plan" snobbery,
    I don't pay anyone else bill. If I wanted to use the Curve as simply
    a phone, guess what, It would work just fine.

And why should someone who likes the Pearl, or Curve or whatever
    have to settle for something else, I think most commonly called a
    regular phone. The OP has to get data on
    the BB if going with VZW, but for those with a choice, how about letting
    them decide what is best for them and drop all this, you don't need a BB
    if you are not going to have data.
    07-16-08 12:54 AM
    It doesn't really matter now. We went out yesterday and I bought her the phone. I'll just cover the data cost. She loves the phone and loves having me tell her some of the tricks about it. She just doesn't like having to do a battery pull to clear up space. In all, the total came to $145 after the activation fee. Mine came to $209 with the insurance plan back when i got mine originally. I really hope she likes it and appreciates me....
    07-17-08 09:03 PM
    That's really cool , I'm sure she will love it. You're one **** of a guy!

On a side note , in some cultures , including ours , to give the gift of a Berry to a girl is to ask her hand in marrige.

Congratulations to the future Mr and Mrs Leingod!!!

07-17-08 09:15 PM
    I would love to know what culture that is! It sucks that I'm only 19 cause I would ask her to marry me. Now we have our berries to bring us even closer.

07-17-08 09:19 PM
    Oh I'm sure you have heard of them, the BlackBerry forums over at CrackBerry

07-17-08 09:44 PM
    Haha, yea. I guess I have!

07-18-08 07:34 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD