I disabled it because I prefer to have the screen bright all the time but does it really save power?
    07-19-08 10:34 PM
    I haven't tested it out, but for me I have mine set to auto dim off, brightness 100, and timeout 20 secs. My battery lasts approx 18 hours without a problem. (Talking, texting, emailing, surfing the net, and listening to music)
    07-19-08 11:59 PM
    I have awesome battery life and I really don't mind the screen not being 100% bright all the time. Try enabling it and see how it goes. You might find a great improvement and that you don't find it to be that annoying.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-08 12:17 AM
    I keep brightness down as low as the setting allows and have auto dim on. Personally I think the screen is plenty bright enough at that. Does it auto adjust brightness above the setting? I am always able to read the screen fine no matter how bright or dark the ambient lighting is. Like outside in the sun or in my room at night in the dark while I watch movies from my bed and check news headlines or what ever on my BB.

07-20-08 12:22 AM
    Yeah I've always wondered the same thing because I like to have my screen nice and bright but I don't like to compromise battery life for that. If someone has done testing, the input would be greatly appreciated
    07-20-08 12:26 AM
    I think depending on your power needs.....any combination and/or singular action to reduce battery drain all contribute potentially to a marked difference in longevity.........for some the end result is certainly more critical than for others.......
    07-20-08 12:31 AM
    I wish I could turn mine OFF! I get spectacular stamina from my battery also with about 2 hours phone , 60 or so text , a couple dozen emails, several hours music and HEAVY browser usage and I have yet to have the battery die on me before the day is over.

I want my screen as bright as possible but even with the backlight set at 100 and auto off disabled it STILL dims up and down ALL freakin day! Drives me nuts!

07-20-08 12:37 AM
    I wish I could turn mine OFF! I get spectacular stamina from my battery also with about 2 hours phone , 60 or so text , a couple dozen emails, several hours music and HEAVY browser usage and I have yet to have the battery die on me before the day is over.

I want my screen as bright as possible but even with the backlight set at 100 and auto off disabled it STILL dims up and down ALL freakin day! Drives me nuts!

Yeah I too wonder why it still dims even when I disabled auto dim...
    07-20-08 12:44 AM
    Yup, that's why I disabled mine it just kept flipping on and off. Maybe the Pearl and Curve are different that way but since I disabled mine I haven't had it dim at all. Go figure.
    07-20-08 08:47 AM
    To turn it off/on go to:

Options>screen/keyboard>auto dim.
    07-20-08 08:52 AM
    I like the auto dim.
    07-20-08 09:05 AM
    Yeah my Pearl never did that , if I set the suto backlight to off , it would magically be "off". My curves auto backlight stays on rather its turned on or off.

07-20-08 11:48 AM
    Yeah my Pearl never did that , if I set the suto backlight to off , it would magically be "off". My curves auto backlight stays on rather its turned on or off.

You can adjust the backlight time and shut off the auto dom features
    07-20-08 11:59 AM
    Read my post again.......

07-20-08 12:01 PM
    I keep mine on auto.
    07-20-08 12:03 PM
    In my personal opinion, not to worried about battery power, but it sure dose make it easier on the eyes having it auto adjust. I love the feature ^_^, im always instant messaging on it , and i get about 3 days of solid battery, and im messaging at least 3 hours a day, not to mention countless mail checks.
    07-20-08 02:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD