Aug 6, 08

I'm thinking of buying a Blackberry 8330. I've read you can download Data-Viz's Documents to Go for it, but it isn't pre-loaded on the ones at the store near me, and I can't find a website that actually says you can download it there.

Does anyone have any experience with Documents to Go and the Blackberry.

Also, does anyone know if the screen sizes on the 8330, the 8830 and the 9000 are the same?

Also, does the 8330 have GPS?

Zvi the Fiddler
    08-06-08 10:27 PM
    As far as I understand docs to go will come with OS 4.5. I'm not sure if it requires 4.5+ or if it's just free with OS 4.5. I don't know the dimentions of the screens of the devices but I believe the bold comes with an improved screen 480x320 vs the 320x240 of the others. So everything you do on the bold will look significantly better. Not that things don't looke great on the others. Yes the 8330 has GPS. I own one and love the handyness of having it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-08 01:01 AM
    I've been in communication with Data-Viz because I purchased DOCS TO GO when I owned a windows based smartphone and wanted to know if I can change my license to my new 8330 curve without paying the full purchase price again.
    Anyway, they told me that DOCS TO GO only works with ver 4.5 on the curve.
    I figured I'd hold out until I upgrade to 4.5 and use the free version of docs to go (that comes with 4.5) instead of paying the fee to have my license changed.

Rdinger
    08-07-08 07:16 AM
    08-07-08 07:18 AM
    With 4.5 it is free, but you don't get sheets-to-go and you can't create documents. I bought the full version and it works quite well.
    08-07-08 10:07 AM
    If you get an 8330 from Verizon your gps won't work unless you subscribe to their navigator service. You can get something like the freedom 2000(gps puck) to work with it.
    08-07-08 11:42 AM
    I have it on my 8320 since I updated to 4.5

I haven't used doc or word to go yet but I tried slideshow to go because I do a lot of presenting in my job. I thought I might be able to leave the laptop at home when I travel. The slides looked good but there was a lag in loading the next slide. I don't know if the full version runs better, maybe someone else has a better experience.

08-07-08 11:58 AM
    With 4.5 it is free, but you don't get sheets-to-go and you can't create documents. I bought the full version and it works quite well.
    You actually do get sheets-to-go free! You just have to get the free update by opening the app then pressing menu> Check for Updates.

PDA Software - Palm OS Software, Windows Mobile Software, Windows Smartphone Software, Symbian UIQ Software, Symbian Series 60 Software, Symbian Series 80 Software, Java MIDP 2.0 Software - Developed By DataViz will tell you everything.

08-07-08 12:11 PM
    i did not know that all you had to do was update to get sheets to go, because with 4.5 i only got word to go and slideshow to go. nice!!
    08-07-08 12:16 PM
    i did not know that all you had to do was update to get sheets to go, because with 4.5 i only got word to go and slideshow to go. nice!!

Most people don't know that! I found out by seeing it on their website, then trying it.
    08-07-08 12:20 PM
    I did the free update and got Sheets, but when I used App loader it got rid of it. I know I saw a workaround somewhere, but can't find the thread now. Can anyone point the way?
    08-11-08 08:34 AM
    I did the free update and got Sheets, but when I used App loader it got rid of it. I know I saw a workaround somewhere, but can't find the thread now. Can anyone point the way?

Sure! Go into apploader and change the name to documents to go."old".
    08-11-08 09:01 AM
    With or without the quotes?

08-11-08 09:31 AM
    With or without the quotes?

Sorry, just: .old
    08-11-08 09:40 AM
    I'm purchasing the full version because I need the Sheets to Go application. It works nicely, though
    08-11-08 09:54 AM
    I'm purchasing the full version because I need the Sheets to Go application. It works nicely, though

You don't need to purchase it unless you need to create new. Sheets to go is free too.
    08-11-08 10:25 AM
    The work around with creating documents is to create a blank set of documents on your PC and copy them to your Media Card. When you want to use a sheet, open up Media, Menu, Explore and Copy the blank sheet to a name of your choice. Now open the renamed sheet with SheetToGo and you will always have a clean sheet (sorry) to work with.
    08-11-08 11:21 AM
    great work around Pete!
    08-11-08 11:44 AM
    Sure! Go into apploader and change the name to documents to go."old".
    Sorry, but how do you rename something in the App Loader?
    08-11-08 05:26 PM
    I thought this was the basic version not the full version?

So, I am assuming when the official 4.5 release is out for Verizon we will get the Docs to Go Application as well?

Also can you store word docs and excel sheets on an external media card? If so, do I just create a folder?
    08-11-08 06:31 PM
    I just upgraded my vzw 8330 to 4.5. I installed docs to go and it will find the update, but it won't install because i haven't registered???? So I tried to try the premium features and it says i'm not running OS4.5 or greater. WTF?
    08-12-08 03:38 PM
    never mind....i'm a ****!
    08-12-08 03:40 PM
    I tried doing up the upgrade but it said 2.2mbs and asked if i wanted to download...is that normal? thats huge!

Rob
    08-15-08 06:24 PM
    Docs2go does come as a free version with the 4.5 upgrade. You have to select in aploader to get it on your device after the upgrade though. Once it is on there you simple open up their version of word and select update. This will take you to a registration page (no need to fear if you have a beta version of 4.5, Dataviz does not care). After registering you will be able to download an upgraded version that includes sheets to go (excel).

The aploader will try to downgrade you after the update so you have to go into the folder that has the docs2go.alx file in it. It is the same folder that the vendor file was in if I remember correctly. Change the .alx to .old and aploader will leave you alone from then on.

The basic version does have limitations, but it is a great program. I used it for a few years on my Treo. I have only used it for a few days on my BB, but it works just as well. As someone posted before, you can simple keep a blank file on your memory card to use as a template as a work around for the inability to create new docs.

Also, the files are all stored on the mem card and the program creates a folder for you.

08-15-08 08:45 PM
    Yes 2.2MB is the correct size for docs to go. Note if it is already installed you won't be using an additional 2.2MB only the difference in size from the previously installed version.

08-15-08 10:36 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD