that Blackberry / RIM is loosing ground to other operating systems that are better equipped for today's users?

If I see how much and which 3rd party apps are bought to enhance the existing BB functionality, than I wonder how much longer BB can keep this -running behind the facts- up. Other brands are trying to compete and growing to be "better" and more up-to-date.

RIM, on their web site, don't have space for suggestions / ideas from existing users. I feel that Research In Motion is not not really doing "research" or are "in motion".

BB users like you and me are -die hard- users, but no one is immortal is they see something that seems better.

That said; you much present me a damn good phone / operating system before I even start considering to switch over.

Just my thoughts...

Daruba.
    02-01-08 10:10 PM
    idk since BBs are so widely used in the govt u know theyre gettin some fundage from them to keep up the good work

i mean if u can figure out windows then u should have no problems figuring out BBs OS
    02-01-08 10:55 PM
    True is that BB is very user friendly and even government employees could figure it out

The issue is that there is a larger (world-wide) population that uses BB too and they need often support of 3rd party apps to make already existing BB functionality usable for their needs.

Daruba.
    02-01-08 11:05 PM
    RIM tested the consumer market waters with the Pearl, and then it broke like a wave with the Curve. They are playing catchup in a market that is still young for them, and doing it admirably. OS 4.5 contains a lot of media-friendly improvements and should increase their penetration of the consumer market greatly. I see them gaining ground.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by rrrebo; 02-04-08 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
    02-02-08 07:41 PM
    All smartphone manufacturers have tons of 3rd party applications, Palm, Windows etc. If every manufacturer were to install every application that everyone would think was needed on their device, the memory required would be enormous, and the cost to the consumer would be high. Then there would be a lot of people walking around with a phone full of application they would never use. What is on my priority list of applications would not be on yours. So we all get the "Basic" neccessities, and then you fill in the blanks. Believe me, I am a Palm convert, and Palm users all have the same complaint on Palm forums.
    02-02-08 07:41 PM
    ...If every manufacturer were to install every application that everyone would think was needed on their device, the memory required would be enormous, and the cost to the consumer would be high....
    But this is not the issue. 3th party apps supposes to give more / additional / different functionality. A lot of us replaced the task manager, email viewer, browser and have apps installed to view common type attachments. All enhancements for things already by default on your BB. This because of the lack of this functionality needed in the first place.

I like to see RIM to have a lot of 3rd apps functionality as being standard. You wand to modify spreadsheets and word documents? Yes, buy yourself a 3rd party app, but at least let me view them on my "naked" BB. Let me at least save my attachment on my SD card or attach a file from my SD card. I think it's save to say that (semi) business users long for this functionality without any 3rd party app.

Daruba.
    02-02-08 08:58 PM
    I just switched from a Palm Treo, and Palm has thousands of great 3rd party applications. True Palm comes with Documents to Go, giving the ability to edit word docs and spread sheets, save them etc. But it too is a third party application, and it is in development for BB, and will be released with the next os. My point is, that unless you are looking for a bare basics phone, no one is ever going to find a phone that meets their needs. BB is selling hardware. When you buy a windows PC, you as a general consumer, almost always have to buy Microsoft office seperately. And how many of us use Outlook, Word and Excell. Shouldn't it come with the computer? But not everybody wants it. So why supply such expensive software for free if everybody is not going to use it. Let those who want it buy it. So instead you get the stripped down version of Outlook Express for email and some other bare knuckles word processor program. When you buy a car it does not come fully equipped. You have to buy the extras you want. Everybody wants everything for little dollars, and expect companies to stay in business. I think we all have to get real and stop complaining. If you are not happy with what the company is supplying for the buck, buy something else.
    02-06-08 09:56 AM
    Thanks for your valuable input!

...BB is selling hardware...
    Our Blackberry is just the device to house the RIM software. They are actually "one" nifty RIM product.

...So why supply such expensive software for free if everybody is not going to use it. Let those who want it buy it...
    Unless you want to add something to my primary message, you missing my point. I don't think BB have shortcomings in applications. The existing applications do have some shortcomings in functionality. They are not answering todays demands. If you build a portable device with business people in mind, you must make sure there are as little as possible questions to ask.

Everybody wants email. Alright, RIM provide us email. There is need for an agenda, RIM provide us an agenda. There is demand for a task manager, RIM provide us a task manager. All those "goodies" are welcomed by business users. While using all does applications, users discover some lack of essential functionality. Well, it's RIM's job to "feel" the market and answer to the demands as much as possible.

I find personally that the are too slow to react. Don't understand me wrong: NOTHING wrong with RIM devices in general.I still have a very strong marriage with my BB and probably keep it this way.

I think we all have to get real and stop complaining. If you are not happy with what the company is supplying for the buck, buy something else.
    Sounds negative, but I think that I know where you're coming from. There is nothing wrong with some constructive criticism. Organizations like RIM do their research on forums like this too.

Remember that RIM targeted business users in the first place and try to scratch the backs of non-business users too. IMO the most "invalid" complains are from non-business users who don't really have use for agenda's and task manager but want to be able to play a game and have customized sounds by every action they do. Business people looking for convenient functionality while on the road.

Daruba.
    02-06-08 10:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD