Hi all, new to this site but because I have come across quite a few bumps in the road with my new blackberry I decided to register

I really love this phone and its a huge upgrade from my last but I'm worried its not working right.

I bought this phone unlocked from AT&T on ebay. The first problem that happened was that it didn't load my contacts from my SIM card. I went through the setup wizard and everything and even after I would go back and try to get it to load again but no luck. I tried removing battery and sim card but still nothing, so I had to add all contacts manually which took forever. Is that a bad sign?

Second problem was that when I put a 1 before the area code (ex: 1-780-123-1234) and then went to dial the number on my contact list it would add 3 more numbers and make it like 863-780-123-1234 which I found very weird. I have since deleted all 1's at the beginning of my phone numbers on all my contact list and there doesn't seem to be a problem with it now. I know friends that have transferred to blackberry and have the 1 at the beginning though.. Again, should this be happening?

My third problem I just encountered was when I was going to give Rogers a call to change to a data plan. I dialed their usual number with and without the 1 and it said my call could not be complete. But when I put *611 and then 888-etc it finally dialed the number. I remember on my old phone I didn't have to do this.

Whats wrong with my phone? Is this normal or should I return it?
    08-14-09 05:00 PM
    Weird. I have a TMobile 8320 that I use on Fido without any headaches, but I wiped it and installed the latest OS for my carrier. Have you tried that?
    08-14-09 05:08 PM
    Did you try a hard/master reset?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-09 05:12 PM
    Well about the OS... im not sure. Unless it installs the latest one automatically I haven't downloaded or installed anything yet.

And how do i do a hard or master reset? Will it wipe out all my contacts again lol?

Thx 4 the help so far
    08-14-09 05:34 PM
    You might want to check your Smart Dialing settings. With the phone/call log open hit the BlackBerry button -> Options -> Smart Dialing.
    08-14-09 06:44 PM
    ok thank you so much for the smart dialing thing! my country code was set to 86 which was china and it was adding that into my number. 1 problem fixed! 2 others to go!

should i try a hard/master reset and try importing my sim contacts from my old phone again? at this point i want to try and resolve these issues to make sure there is nothing wrong with the phone instead of getting a plan for it and having it not work right.

EDIT: With the smart dialing country code fixed dialing the rogers number now works.

Do you think that is also why my SIM contacts from my prior phone did not load?
    Last edited by md3k; 08-14-09 at 10:38 PM.
    08-14-09 10:22 PM
    You might open a new thread with your question on data on rogers to get better answers or a search on data... same with your sim card contacts In smart dialing mine has +1 for a country code and I do not have to enter a 1. Maybe a sprint thing too. Also if you add an area code like your local one everytime you dial a number it should use the area code in there. Saves dialing
    08-14-09 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD