I have configured my 8330 display backlight to stay on for 30 seconds and have configured the dim feature to NO. Still, occasionally the display will dim for no apparent reason, then return later to full brightness for no apparent reason. Is this a bug...or a problem with my device?

LarryMcJ
    01-19-09 01:54 PM
    To my understanding the light sensor is seperate from the DIM setting. Have you updated your OS recently? Try switching the backlight to another sec setting, save, soft reset, set back to 30sec, and see if that shakes it loose. Try a batt pull after that if the setting still doesnt work as set. Also if your device model listing is right, try posting in the Pearl 81XX section and see is anyone has the same issue as you, have no issues with my Curve.
    Last edited by ghostshell; 01-19-09 at 03:14 PM.
    01-19-09 03:12 PM
    Updated to the latest OS two days ago, and have tried changing settings, resetting, and returning...same thing. Maybe it's just the light sensor working...it usually dims when I'm outside in bright light, though I'd think that would be the other way around.

I have a Curve 8330 as the post topic notes...I changed my profile as that was from a long time ago when I had the 8130. Thanks.

LarryMcJ
    Last edited by LarryMcJ; 01-19-09 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    01-19-09 03:38 PM
    The light sensor is in the LED array under the lens. It has a mind of it's own, they all do that.

If you cover the LED, it will light the keyboard after 1 second, then dim the display about 8 seconds. It takes about 2 seconds to recover.
    01-19-09 04:15 PM
    The light sensor is in the LED array under the lens. It has a mind of it's own, they all do that.

If you cover the LED, it will light the keyboard after 1 second, then dim the display about 8 seconds. It takes about 2 seconds to recover.
    Yep, you are right about that, they all do that...
    01-19-09 04:19 PM
    Many thanks. I've been using these things on and off for a decade and now the mystery is explained :-)

LarryMcJ
    01-19-09 04:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD