Will selecting repair when highlighting Application Memory Free space be the equivilant of defragmenting? Should found clusters be saved or deleted? Thank you for any response!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 06:35 PM
    What OS are you running? I'm not familiar with that option. A battery pull reboot will make all memory contiguous again.
    04-20-10 07:28 PM
    OS 5xxx.438 Its in options/memory highlight Free Space under Application Memory and select menu, its in the pop up under repair. Selecting repair brings up the choice to keep lost clusters or not. It sounds a lot like defragging to me. Just wanted confirmation of sorts. Thanks

04-20-10 08:01 PM
    I'm guessing that's to fix issues and lost hives within your file system, if a file system discrepancy were to occur. As JeffH said, a battery pull (or Alt, Right Shift, Del) will do the same thing as a "defrag".
    04-20-10 08:38 PM
    I wasnt even aware of a defrag utility on any RIM device. Ive defragged my media card, but not my app memory...........hmmm, learn something new every day.
    04-20-10 08:55 PM
    Alright, I'm going to pick somebody's brain and get down to the nitty gritty on this subject. If it does indeed defragment the application memory or not. The only reason I am interested is that everytime my home computer is defragmented it has more memory and performance is improved by not having to sort through meaningless clusters of residual info. I will let you guys know if I ever find out the truth! I'll keep you posted!

04-20-10 09:14 PM
    I just tried it and if you choose the Repair option it repairs the media card and not the free memory on your phone.

04-20-10 11:05 PM
    That can't be right cause my device memory is what is highlighted. My media card memory is shown below it in another section yeah tried it too. Guess I was hoping for more. What's interesting is I did gain back .2 mb! .

Last edited by Albeewon; 04-20-10 at 11:28 PM.
    04-20-10 11:24 PM
    Alright, I'm going to pick somebody's brain and get down to the nitty gritty on this subject. If it does indeed defragment the application memory or not. The only reason I am interested is that everytime my home computer is defragmented it has more memory and performance is improved by not having to sort through meaningless clusters of residual info. I will let you guys know if I ever find out the truth! I'll keep you posted!

On a PC if you are running Windows and using defrag it is defragging your hard drive(s). It does not give you more memory and doesn't change "having to sort through meaningless clusters of residual info"

Defragging is not even needed with all filesystems. Surprise, surprise, the stupid idiots at Microshag standardized on a filesystem prone to fragmentation- that means that over time, data tends to be stored discontiguously on the drive and that the discontiguity causes performance problems because the heads have to move on the drive more than they should to access a single file. Defragging is a way to get the data in the file physically closer on the drive. It's important because head movement and disk rotation are the 2 major components of time in accessing data on a physical drive.

Memory fragmentation is a similar problem from a high level view, but it's not the same practical problem. Having data discontiguous on solid state memory (all the memory in your phone) is not nearly the performance issue it is on a physical device. Even though most memory cards are accessed with FAT or NTFS filesysytems they don't have the performance issues of seek or latency, so the impact is just not that great. Basically your comparison is not valid.

Memory fragmentation is a performance issue because at some point things can get so bad that it's not possible to allocate a big enough contiguous piece even though if you could combine several free areas, you would have enough. Presumably basic defragmentation is part of the JVM's garbage collection that runs automatically, periodically. And like Jeff said, a battery pull or reboot will address this part.

If you have fragmented files on your memory card you can defrag it using Windows.
    Last edited by F0nage; 04-21-10 at 02:58 AM.
    04-21-10 02:56 AM
    Nice tutorial FOnage, Glad we finally cleared all that up! Thanks

04-21-10 11:33 AM
    You're welcome
    04-21-10 12:30 PM
    F0nage-Havn't stopped laughing since I read your signature. Classic
    04-21-10 12:46 PM
    Thanks nmbbaddict, I had a longer, better one, but I found it exceeded the attention span of iPhone owners so I replaced it with a one-liner
    04-21-10 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD