Hi there, although I am a new registered poster to the forums, I have been lurking on the forums for quite some time and I finally decided it was time to ask for help.

My mother bought herself a Blackberry 8320 in August of last year, which worked just fine and well for her, up until she passed away in November of last year. The phone sat in our house until recently, about a month ago, when I decided to use it for myself. It worked fine for me for about 2 weeks, until one day when I allowed the battery to completely die, something me nor my mother ever did before. I tried to plug it in to charge, when I noticed that the only thing that happened was that the LED came on (red) for about 10 seconds, and then went off...forever. No screen activity, just the red light for 10 seconds and then nothing. I unplugged it, plugged it in again, and then saw the red light for 10 seconds, and then nothing again. I tried plugging the USB into my computer and I tried re-loading the O/S, but that's impossible to do when the device isn't recognized because it's completely dead. The only screen activity I was able to conjure was when I plugged in the charger with the battery out of the device, and held down the power button. A screen showing the battery with a slash through it (indicating no battery was in the phone) came on, then went off after about 5 seconds. I've tried removing the battery and replacing it in combination with plugging in the charger, letting it sit for hours with and without both a battery or a charger. I purchased a new battery and charger, but still nothing works.

I called T-Mobile today, but they wouldn't let me exchange the phone since I was not the authorized user (my mom was) and only she can take advantage of the warranty (She can't, since she's no longer living). They apologized but told me there was nothing they could do, so I think I'm just out of luck. If I can't find a way to fix it, then I'm probably just going to sell it on eBay for parts. Hope you guys can help me, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Minara; 02-20-09 at 04:38 PM.
    02-20-09 04:32 PM
    Hi

First of all I am very sorry for your loss.

This article should help you quite a bit. Its about nuked berries. I hope it does work out for you and I am sure someone will be able to assist you furtherthe issue does not get resolved.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry
    02-20-09 04:42 PM
    Hi

First of all I am very sorry for your loss.

This article should help you quite a bit. Its about nuked berries. I hope it does work out for you and I am sure someone will be able to assist you furtherthe issue does not get resolved.
    Thanks, I am currently trying this method now and will post with my results.
    02-20-09 04:59 PM
    Good deal. It has helped many many people so I suspect it will help you too. Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 05:13 PM
    My 8310 did the same thing after the batt totally ran down. The method linked above should help. It helped me.

My sympathies regarding your mom.

Lis
    02-20-09 05:36 PM
    My condolences.
    How long did you leave it on the charger?

02-20-09 06:08 PM
    My condolences.
    How long did you leave it on the charger?

I left it on the charger the first time for about 5 hours. Last night, I left it on overnight, about 8-9 hours.

And thanks you guys, for your condolences.
    02-20-09 08:49 PM
    Sorry to hear about your mother, like others have said I would try the steps of recovering a nuked berry.. Hope all works out for you..!

02-20-09 08:54 PM
    Gah! It didn't work. Failed at the step where it tries to locate your device. I took out the battery, hit "next" and then plugged it in to the usb port....nothing happened except for the red LED. No sign of the Pin Unknown Port on the computer, just a blank box. Tried this 3 times. Thanks for this suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work for me. :/
    02-20-09 09:42 PM
    Needs to stay plugged in before you hit next.

02-20-09 10:23 PM
    I also am sorry for your loss. I do agree with maxi, leave it plugged in.
    02-20-09 10:28 PM
    Needs to stay plugged in before you hit next.

Woops, I think I worded that incorrectly, my fault. I took the battery out and plugged it in before I tried to hit "Next" and was unable to go anywhere by clicking Next because it wasn't available (it was greyed out, even after I plugged in the phone and allowed the red LED to come on and go off after 10 seconds).

I wasn't able to get that option to pop up even while the blackberry was plugged in. :/
    Last edited by Minara; 02-20-09 at 10:36 PM.
    02-20-09 10:33 PM
    Just to try: Open windows explorer, goto C:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader. In there you should find a file called "loader.exe". Now, with battery out, plug the berry into usb. Open the loader.exe file and click next. You should see the screen with a drop down menu that has "com 3" or something similar in it. Click the drop down menu to expand it. As the phone cycles "usb pin:unknown" should appear and disappear from that drop down list. You have to be quick to click on the "usb pin:unknown" and the next button before the phone cycles and the connection is lost. I wrote this in detail because sometimes you have to open that list and time it perfectly to catch it

02-20-09 11:08 PM
    Just to try: Open windows explorer, goto C:/program files/common files/research in motion/apploader. In there you should find a file called "loader.exe". Now, with battery out, plug the berry into usb. Open the loader.exe file and click next. You should see the screen with a drop down menu that has "com 3" or something similar in it. Click the drop down menu to expand it. As the phone cycles "usb pin:unknown" should appear and disappear from that drop down list. You have to be quick to click on the "usb pin:unknown" and the next button before the phone cycles and the connection is lost. I wrote this in detail because sometimes you have to open that list and time it perfectly to catch it

Yep, that's exactly what I tried, plugged in the BB, opened loader.exe, but when I get to the part with the drop down menu, there is nothing there, tried expanding it, nothing there. I waited for usb: pin unknown to show up and it never did, probably because my phone needs to "cycle". And my phone doesn't ever cycle due to the fact that it never comes on. So I don't even see anything on my screen as I go through all these steps, unfortunately.
    02-20-09 11:15 PM
    What I ment by cycle was the led light, but I take it that never comes on either...yeah, just re-read your first post. The process I described is for when the led flashs on and off as the berry tries to boot up. Sorry

02-20-09 11:26 PM
    What I ment by cycle was the led light, but I take it that never comes on either...yeah, just re-read your first post. The process I described is for when the led flashs on and off as the berry tries to boot up. Sorry

Ah...I see. For some reason I thought cycling dealt with the hourglass thing that people see on the phone (which I never see anyways since my screen is forever blank). But yeah, if you're talking about the led that comes on, it does come on when I plug it in, but if I plug it in then immediately try to do the combination of that, plus drop-down box, wait for the pin thing to show up at the exact moment, all the phone does is cut the light off after 10 seconds and my computer never recognizes it throughout the whole process. Maybe the phone hates me? (I kid.)
    02-20-09 11:32 PM
    minara open up device manager on your computer with out your bb plugged in then while its open plug it into your computer and see if it detects it, if it does uninstall the driver then unplug and replug your berry back in and then try app loader and see if it will see your bb correct at that point, its a little trick i have had to do on some computers in the past
    Hi!. I have the same problem of Minara but with a BB bold 9000. I did everything like him and my bold still dead blinking only the red led. I almost creazy about that.The only thing i can add is that i uninstalled from the device manager the driver and now when i plug the phone nothing happened. It didn�t recognize my phone. Without any changes. Just now the "blackberry smartphone" disappeared. The other thing is in one of my a lot of tries the led stop blinking completely so i guess that existed a communication with the pc and seems that it is not a hardware issue
    02-21-09 08:37 PM
    minara open up device manager on your computer with out your bb plugged in then while its open plug it into your computer and see if it detects it, if it does uninstall the driver then unplug and replug your berry back in and then try apploader and see if it will see your bb correct at that point, its a little trick i have had to do on some computers in the past
    Tried it today, my phone isn't recognized in device manager at all when plug it in after opening device manager.

Keep those suggestions coming people!
    02-21-09 10:46 PM
    I�m almost sure that it have to be something with the drivers. But being in that way why since weeks before it worked. I don�t have any logic explanation that why the USB charged the phone but in the other side it doesn�t recognize the phone connected. Just in case my lap is almost new and it has 4 USB ports that in anyone she recognize the phone. I tested two USB cables so i don�t think that could be that. I almost take the phone and throw it out the window
    02-21-09 11:08 PM
    Nothing to do with it, first, i�m not in US, second, the phone has not any waranty already. About the procedure for the BB dead i did it yesterday step by step for many many times and i got nothing, nada !
    02-22-09 08:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD